jetfire

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

gregory

jetfire

Post by gregory »

hi guys - i recently bought a jet/sky fire off ebay for 3 quid (the ebay auction was called 'aeroplane' so not many people were even looking at it!), and its not great condition. i bought it so i could hopefully do it all up with new accessories and stickers etc, which i will be doing soon. the only thing is though, hes a bit yellowed around his exposed bits as a plane, does anyone have any tips as to get rid of this? im a bit pessimistic about painting if it comes down to that. also, does anyone know where i can get a sticker sheet/a copy of a sticker sheet, or does anyone have a spare that they can scan and send to me so i can print off my own? cheers guys, greg.
LaFountain
Throttlebot

Post by LaFountain »

Well it appears that the recommended place for labels is www.reprolabels.com, I have heard nothing but good reviews about them. I am waiting on my Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime stickers from them to fix up my two figures. As for the yellowing, I don't know what you can really do about that.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

i don't know a cure for the yellowing, i'll talk to my father. being a modeler, he may know a tip to try on it.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

I have had success in refreshing (but I doubt it would cure the yellowing) worn plastic with a Dremel. You have to use it with the puffed brush (I don't find the exact word for this...It's not the wheel shaped brush) at low speed and carefully brush the affected zones. I have fixed even transparent pieces of plastic and it will give the shine back to it...But again, do it carefully, because you can burn the part if you leave the Dremel still at one point...I wish you good luck with this and I strongly suggest you to experiment on scrap plastic first.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

I have a different Jetfire question.

What makes the little gold seahorse sticker/seal in the bottom right hand corner of G-1 Jetfire's box so special?

Is it really that rare?

Mine has it and I have seen all over that it is rare at the "other place" but you look all over there and "L@@K!!! "RARE" can mean a lot of things.

Why do some boxes have it and others not?
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I've never heard of it. I need to go check my box now.
R.I.P. Menasor
Jose

Post by Jose »

I suppose you mean the sticker which says "Tatsunoko Productions". For myself, I haven't seen it on a Jetfire box, but I'm positive they come on all packaging which contains a Robotech related figure. What you mention is new to me, I must admit I haven't been paying too much attention to boxes.

It may be indeed some sort of crossover, but I wouldn't pay a premium for a sticker, as they can be reassigned.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Perceptor
Alternator

Post by Perceptor »

Jose wrote:I have had success in refreshing (but I doubt it would cure the yellowing) worn plastic with a Dremel. You have to use it with the puffed brush (I don't find the exact word for this...It's not the wheel shaped brush) at low speed and carefully brush the affected zones. I have fixed even transparent pieces of plastic and it will give the shine back to it...But again, do it carefully, because you can burn the part if you leave the Dremel still at one point...I wish you good luck with this and I strongly suggest you to experiment on scrap plastic first.
What ever happen the the experiment with 20% peroxide? I though that lloked promising. Does anyone know?
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

I'm not looking at my Jetfire boxes right this second, so this is from memory:

In itself, it's not very rare. The vast majority of US Jetfires (perhaps all?) came with this sticker, though over the years, they have become rarer simply from the fact that they peel or are peeled off.

You may be confusing the presence of this sticker as signifying that you have a "Matsushiro" jetfire, but the sticker has nothing to do with that (except that a true MIB Matsushiro Jetfire MUST have the sticker).

To tell if you have a Matsushiro Jetfire, you look for the Macross symbol on the wing. If you find that, then you look for a Matsushiro stamp underneath. If you find that, THEN I can give you a whole slew of things to double check to make sure you don't have a cobbled together Matsushiro (because unseemly sellers/collectors over the years have started taking bits and pieces off of standard Jetfires to whiten up their Matsushiros, but you CAN still tell if the parts are original Matsushiro due to mold variations).

Edited: To reflect that I was wrong about what the sticker said (I thought it was Takatoku the original maker of the Valkyrie, but google is my friend. Sorry to doubt you, Jose ;) )
Last edited by Banzai-Tron on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Wheezel said because I messed up the thing.......
You may be confusing the presence of this sticker as signifying that you have a "Matsushiro" jetfire, but the sticker has nothing to do with that (except that a true MIB Matsushiro Jetfire MUST have the sticker).

To tell if you have a Matsushiro Jetfire, you look for the Macross symbol on the wing. If you find that, then you look for a Matsushiro stamp underneath.
My Jetfire has none of those markings. From what I can tell he's just a plain old Jetfire. Actually I am kind of glad he doesn't have the Macross do-jammer on it.
Jose wrote:I suppose you mean the sticker which says "Tatsunoko Productions". For myself, I haven't seen it on a Jetfire box, but I'm positive they come on all packaging which contains a Robotech related figure. What you mention is new to me, I must admit I haven't been paying too much attention to boxes.

It may be indeed some sort of crossover, but I wouldn't pay a premium for a sticker, as they can be reassigned.

Here is a picture of it. I hope you can make it out. There's a fine line between close and too close. It does say Tatsunoku Productions on it.

Here's a pic with the whole to to be seen:

I know that that this label in particular hasn't been switched because I bought the toy new when I was kid. I am sure however that people do mix and match things as I traded inserts and all.
Last edited by Roar on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jose

Post by Jose »

As for the sticker I mention, I'm positive it says "Tatsunoko". Pictures are very fresh:

Edit: @Wheezel: No worries! Actually I enjoy your posts a lot, they have plenty of good information. Also, I have to be corrected sometimes too.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Takatoku, Tatsunoko... poTAYto, poTAHto. :)

We wouldn't have this problem if those darned Japanese toy companies could've made up their minds. (By my understanding, Takatoku and Tatsunoko are/were the same company, and I *knew* that Takatoku made the original Valkyries... so my mind just filled in the blanks... incorrectly. Bah.)
Jose

Post by Jose »

I'm not sure about the deal with Tatsunoko - they seem to have more to do with the cartoon as they were involved with other anime of the time. The Mospeada figures, for example, they are Tatsunoko licensed... But the toys are Gakken, not Takatoku.

Nevertheless, Takatoku was indeed absorbed by Bandai. Therefore their designs started to have Bandai stamps.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Anyhow, to get back to the original sticker question:

Theoretically, back in 'the day', it'd be rarer to find a Jetfire box that DID NOT have the Tatsunoko sticker. Obviously, this fact won't affect current day value whatsoever.

In the present day, I *still* see more Jetfire boxes with the sticker than without, even after all these years that they could've been removed in some manner.

If it affects value at all, it's minimal... apart from the hype generated from sellers/buyers that don't actually know the true state of the matter.

If you *really* want to understand the WHOLE Jetfire/Tatsunoko/Bandai/Matsushiro mess, you're going to have to hit the slums... Robotech/Macross forums!

Edit: Once again, Jose's right. *Sigh*. My memory sucks these days. Takatoku and Tatsunoko were only related via Tatsunoko's artwork. Tatsunoko owned the art for "Jetfire", so they got a sticker on the boxes. And the producers of Transformers didn't want to pay Tatsunoko to use their intellectual property in the cartoon, so we got Skyfire there instead.
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Post by sto_vo_kor_2000 »

Wheezel wrote: And the producers of Transformers didn't want to pay Tatsunoko to use their intellectual property in the cartoon, so we got Skyfire there instead.

Not exactly right.

It wasnt that the G1 cartoon producers [Hasbro/Marvel/Sunbow] didnt want to bay to use the likeness of the "Jetfire mold".

As a matter of fact not only were they willing to pay for the likeness rights,they did pay for them.

The evidence can be seen in the Toy add for Jetfire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHJtwmt9JAU

If they didnt pay for the likeness rights they wouldnt have been able to make that add.

The reason we ended up with the "Skyfire" design had to do with the fact that Takara was not able to reproduce the Jetfire toy for is market since the toy's mold was already part of the Macroos toyline.

Takara did not want to show case a completer's toy in their TF cartoon so they had Hasbro/Marvel/Sunbo redesign the character model.

Thats how and why we got Jetfire.
Today is a good day to die.....but the day is not yet over!
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Don't MAKE me go back to trolling those blasted Macross/Robotech boards again! You can't believe everything you read on Wikipedia :D

Harmony Gold (via Tatsunoko) owned the animation rights to the 'Jetfire mold'. Takara/Hasbro/Sunbow couldn't use it. Just as Hasbro gained limited rights to use the art on the BOX (thus the sticker), they must've gained limited rights for that commercial.

Takara had almost nothing to do with the original G1 cartoon series. AFTER Hasbro showed Transformers to be a success, Takara THEN imported the American made cartoon (and yes, LATER they picked up and carried the cartoon after US production ceased) and sold the toys as Transformers, rather than continuing to market them as Diaclones.

The only thing I would consider up for debate, is whether or not Harmony Gold was being reasonable with their asking price for the animation rights for the Macross VF1/Jetfire art.
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Wheezel wrote:Don't MAKE me go back to trolling those blasted Macross/Robotech boards again! You can't believe everything you read on Wikipedia :D
None of what I posted is from Wekipedia.

As a matter of fact I rarely read anything on that site.

All the info I posted is from years of research on the topic and from my time as an intern at Marvel comics.

I worked in the file room.
Wheezel wrote:Harmony Gold (via Tatsunoko) owned the animation rights to the 'Jetfire mold'. Takara/Hasbro/Sunbow couldn't use it. Just as Hasbro gained limited rights to use the art on the BOX (thus the sticker), they must've gained limited rights for that commercial.
Almost correct.

Hasbro/Marvel gained "ALL" the rights to use the likeness of the mold.

Again the evidence is in the commercial, the box art, comics from other countries and so forth.
Wheezel wrote:Takara had almost nothing to do with the original G1 cartoon series. AFTER Hasbro showed Transformers to be a success, Takara THEN imported the American made cartoon (and yes, LATER they picked up and carried the cartoon after US production ceased) and sold the toys as Transformers, rather than continuing to market them as Diaclones.
And again your almost right.

Your right Takara didnt have much say in the production of the G1 cartoon but your time table is wrong.

Takara launched their own "Transformers" brand almost immediately after sale figures from the American line started to rise.

Takara released its first "Transformers toy" in August of 1984.

Your also wrong about when Japan had the US made cartoon.It was not after "US production ceased".

Japan imported the American cartoon and aired the first 3 episodes in November of 1984.

And while Takara had no say in character development they were givin character designs well before production of each episode since they would be marketing the cartoon in their markets.

Takara requested that the character design be changed because they would not be able to run those episodes on their air waves if it werent changed.

And I have no idea where you got the idea that they didnt run the U.S. cartoon untill after production in the U.S. had stoped.

The only story Takara didnt run till well after production of the serries had finished in the U.S. was the 1986 movie.....which Japan did not get till about 89/90.

The original G1 cartoon aired in Japan, and Takara's other markets, starting in 1984.

As a matter of fact Japans version of Headmasters aired about 4 months before the U.S. version ,The Rebirth, hit the air waves.

Its ridiculous to believe that the sequel to their G1 serries ran before the original did as your post suggests.

"The Rebirth" first aired on 11/9/1987

Takara's "Headmasters" first aired on 7/3/1987

Thats 4 months before the U.S. production had ended.So tell me how the sequel aired before the original?????
Wheezel wrote:The only thing I would consider up for debate, is whether or not Harmony Gold was being reasonable with their asking price for the animation rights for the Macross VF1/Jetfire art.
It must have been since Hasbro attained them. :roll:

Maybe you shouldnt believe every thing you read on Macross/Robotech boards :)
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

I'm not going to take the time or bother to make a lengthy quote by quote reply, I'll just say this:

You've read FAR too much into what I said. Re-read it. I DID NOT say that Japan didn't run the US made cartoon until US production had ceased. I said that they had almost nothing to do with the G1 cartoon series until after US cartoon production ceased. That's a HUGE difference, that you wasted several paragraphs on.

As for your Rebirth vs. Headmasters question, you're making my point.
Sunbow/Marvel announced the end of the TF cartoon. In Japan, the Rebirth series NEVER occurred. They started up THEIR OWN G1 cartoon. (i.e. "and yes, LATER they picked up and carried the cartoon after US production ceased"). Japanese Headmasters is NOT a sequel, it's a completely standalone branch, with g1 roots.

Speaking of ridiculous, before you write any more lengthy semi-snarky rebuttals, I suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension skills.
Catilla
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Catilla »

Niceguy wrote:
Jose wrote:I have had success in refreshing (but I doubt it would cure the yellowing) worn plastic with a Dremel. You have to use it with the puffed brush (I don't find the exact word for this...It's not the wheel shaped brush) at low speed and carefully brush the affected zones. I have fixed even transparent pieces of plastic and it will give the shine back to it...But again, do it carefully, because you can burn the part if you leave the Dremel still at one point...I wish you good luck with this and I strongly suggest you to experiment on scrap plastic first.
What ever happen the the experiment with 20% peroxide? I though that lloked promising. Does anyone know?
it works a treat (least ways so far what ive done so far) sadly though over here in the uk the weathes starting to turn so the sun is weak, until i can find a new light sorce which will act in place of the sun i need to wait till the weather gets hotter again :( .
also had great reports on other action figure types too on other forums.
sto_vo_kor_2000
Alternator

Wheezel wrote:I'm not going to take the time or bother to make a lengthy quote by quote reply, I'll just say this:

You've read FAR too much into what I said. Re-read it. I DID NOT say that Japan didn't run the US made cartoon until US production had ceased. I said that they had almost nothing to do with the G1 cartoon series until after US cartoon production ceased. That's a HUGE difference, that you wasted several paragraphs on.

As for your Rebirth vs. Headmasters question, you're making my point.
Sunbow/Marvel announced the end of the TF cartoon. In Japan, the Rebirth series NEVER occurred. They started up THEIR OWN G1 cartoon. (i.e. "and yes, LATER they picked up and carried the cartoon after US production ceased"). Japanese Headmasters is NOT a sequel, it's a completely standalone branch, with g1 roots.

Speaking of ridiculous, before you write any more lengthy semi-snarky rebuttals, I suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension skills.
Maybe you need to chose better words to express what your trying to say because again it appears that your trying to say that the G1 cartoon did not air in Japan till well after production had ended in the states.

And I dont see how you can claim that Japans Headmasters is not a sequil but still say its roots are based in the G1 toon.

One statement seems to contradict the other.

The show featured the entire cast [for the most part] from the first 3 seasns of G1....and followed the events of "The Return of Optimus Prime".

Sounds like a sequil to me.

And "All most nothing" does not mean "Absulutly Nothing".

Takara didnt interfere much with the production of the serries but they did tell Hasbro that some of the toy line could not be featured on Japan air waves.

It's the same reason that some of the other "NON TAKARA" TF's ,Roadbuster,Whirl and the 4 Insecticons, were never featured on the cartoon.

All of those toy's ,just like Jetfire, were part of other cartoons in Japan and Takara ether didnt want to, or could not, have those figures show cased on a cartoon they were distrubiting.

While Omega Supreme and Shockwave, also "NON TAKARA TF's" did make it to the show un-altered because they were not part of a running cartoon in Japan.

My point is that Japan started to run the G1 serries starting in November/December of 84.Thats well before the production had ended in the states.

And as for "SnarkRemarks".....I honestly did not intend for anything I wrote to come off that way.

However I felt you assuming that I got any of my info from Wikipedia to be condisending and rude.

To tell the truth I wasnt really awear what Wiki had on its page in its entirity.

So if I returned any "Snarky Remarks" to you I appologize.

The last few days have been a bit trying so I may have lost sight of my words.
Last edited by sto_vo_kor_2000 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.