Anyone got a USS Flagg? (YES, this IS Transformers related!

Discuss any Non-Transformers toys you like (or don't!) here. MASK, GI Joe, Go-Bots, KOs, He-Man, or others.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Anyone got a USS Flagg? (YES, this IS Transformers related!

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Does anybody have a USS Flagg? If so, I *need* to know:

Roughly how many g1 seeker jets will I be able to fit onto it?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

LOL!

I don't own one, but theres my esther-mation.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Thanks TT!

Must.
Get.
USS Flagg!

Shouldn't be too awful expensive, since I don't care one iota whether it's complete with all the expensive bits or not. (Especially since I'll probably be repainting it to either a Decepticon or Cobra color scheme)
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

how about a G1ification of tidal wave?

Who all are you going to load it down with? there are only 6 g1 seekers, and 2 g2 redecos...

Also, as Ultra Magnus (a Joe fan) has informed me, the expense of a nice Flagg comes not from the completeness, but from the shipping for the monstrous thing. Be prepared!
Overlord
City Commander

Post by Overlord »

I once heavily lobbied my parents to get me the Flagg for Christmas (asking "santa" but I knew the reality at that point and hoped my parents would get the hint)

They got me a motorized reindeer instead.

Anyway, about 4 years later I saw one in a toy store that was for $199.

The thing is massive. I remember being unable to lift it from the ground and into the shopping cart, which my pop said was a confirmation from God that I wasn't allowed to get it. :evil:
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Time Traveller wrote:how about a G1ification of tidal wave?

Who all are you going to load it down with? there are only 6 g1 seekers, and 2 g2 redecos...

Also, as Ultra Magnus (a Joe fan) has informed me, the expense of a nice Flagg comes not from the completeness, but from the shipping for the monstrous thing. Be prepared!
Sure, there's only 6 g1's, but... that didn't stop me from amassing ummm... something like 50 of them. I suppose I could just turn a ton of them into Periwinkles, lol.

Ummm... Ultra Magnus is kind of right. $120-$180 for shipping. But the bulk of the expense is still the varying degrees of completeness. I mean, we're talking about $400 shipped for the deck and tower and minor kibble, versus $1000+ shipped for complete. That's huge.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I just don't understand why the made such a toy. A 7.5' long GI Joe toy? How many could they have sold?
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Because, those were the halcyon years. When America still did things simply because we *could*. Plus, the 1980s toy arms race was all about "How much shelf space can we commandeer?" Whoever had the bigger, better display tended to win out.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

That was a holy grail when I was a kid. Still, GI Joe collectors I know comment of that aircraft carrier, and how good it would be to have it, but nobody has the room to keep it. Definitely a toy which will be a conversation piece for many more years.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Fortunately enough, I have the room. Incidentally, does it float? I have a pond large enough for it, LOL!
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

I really doubt that it'll float.
However, judging from the photos, it's a truly epic playset.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Solution to the floating problem.
There's a building toy called "überstix"
They're designed to connect to just about anything.

they make a piece that clips around necks of empty plastic bottles for flotation.

go to uberstix.com, click on recycling, and click on the equals sign til you get to some pictures. I'm sure you could clip some empty 2 litres on to the flagg that way and float it...
Catalyst Prime
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Catalyst Prime »

What amazes me is that I had tons of Gi Joe toys as a kid and I've never even heard of this thing!
All that was needed is a catalyst... and the machines of war are set in motion.

If at first you don't succeed, Destroy all evidence that you tried.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

TT: Uberstix? It's a shame their designs are balls out ugly, or they might be on to something... unless maybe there's a forum out there somewhere, where people have actually built stuff that IS cool?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

idk, they look most like a utility for connecting pieces of other, more aesthetic building toys, but let's not get too off topic.

(i'm curious enough i'd get some someday)
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

This is the back cover of a Chilean print Transformers comic book. It has the USS Flagg on it:

The picture looks like it was straight from a US ad (it was very, very rare to see color people in Chile in the 80s, those were rough times and nobody wanted to come here, but that's another story). Anyway, most kids of the time wanted to be themselves who were sitting next to this behemoth!

Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

Sorry I did not see this thread sooner....

The FLAGG is not in scale with itself, but definitely not the right scale for seekers (even MP).

The command tower would make them look extremely out of place. Just a heads up... In Jose's picture, the Tomcat (as seen here: http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/83/skystr ... _top.shtml ) on the deck is 23 inches long/ 5 inches high at the cockpit.

That small ship in the boy's right hand (the SHARC) is 8 inches long and three inches deep.

You put seekers on that deck, and they will look like remote control drones.

Add to it that you would be shipping a 38 pound, awkward sized, vintage item, and the cost would not be worth the desired effect.

Oh, and this is definitely one of the Joe Holy Grails.

Almost no one could have one as a kid, so anyone that has a "Joe room" is snatching them up right now (not a single one listed in the states on eBay :shock: ).

The $199 a few years later was not bad... even in 1986, it retailed at $150.
greatshot
Targetmaster

Post by greatshot »

Jose wrote:This is the back cover of a Chilean print Transformers comic book. It has the USS Flagg on it:

Anyway, most kids of the time wanted to be themselves who were sitting next to this behemoth!

I knew it existed and it should be big... but this is overkill... :shock:
You must build an additional shed or barn just to store this one alone.. DAMM...

I dont want to know how much it would cost to shipp this one to the netherlands... customs would have a field day with this one to declare value and calculate taxes.... :shock: impossible to slip through customs.

Never seen this one in stores over here.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

My close friend has this very ship. Its missing the second deck flooring, but we put it all together and man its huge. Didn't realize how big it was till we set it up. Definatley takes more than one person to assemble. I would say around 7 seekers would fit on it if you're setting them along the catapult area. I will post some pics when I go over there next. I'll combine my seekers with his to get an actual estimate.
R.I.P. Menasor
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

That would be PERFECT Dinobot! Thank you! UM has me a little worried that my idea won't work... but since I'm not really concerned with it as a Joe Collectible, I can repaint the deck lines if I need to... I'm more concerned with the proportion of the ship in general to the planes and the tower.

So again... thanks in advance!

EDIT: (Though, I should also point out to UM that the Tomcat in the photo is WAY to large, scalewise, for the carrier. I'm *hoping* that Seekers will actually be a little bit closer to scale.)