Transformers 4 coming June 27, 2014
Tuesday, September 3, 2013: The surfacing of an official poster of Transformers 4 (inset) gives our first real glimpse of the title of the 4th Transformers movie, Age of Extinction, giving credence to the rumors we reported earlier that the Dinobots may finally make their live action debut! Previously it was believed the title would be "The Rise of Galvatron", a rumor which Michael bay has denied since June 2013.
Saturday, May 25, 2013: Start the countdown! Transformers 4 opening date is set - June 27, 2014. The movie is slated to start filming in July, which is just around the corner. In honor of the rumor mill going into overdrive, Transformerland is here to bring you the latest and greatest that we hear!
CASTING CALL: If you live near Detroit, check out the casting call going on Friday, May 31 and Saturday, June 1 from 10am - 2pm at Somerset Inn in Troy. Currently, they are said to be looking for Asian families as well as clean cut business looking people and military or FBI agents.
BOTS (some SPOILERS below, so read at your own risk): The biggest rumor right now is that the dinobots are back baby! Tyrannosaurus Rex Grimlock (as well as supposedly Swoop) as supposed to be in the latest installment as well as Autobot Hound. Another new character is Drift (a Samurai decepticon who wants to become an autobot). As far as villain-bots go, Galvatron is rumored to be the reborn Megatron (sound familiar?) and another villain is supposed to be Lockdown. Apparently Hasbro was a bit disappointed with the sales of the Transformers DOTM toys, and wants to go back to one of the most recognized and loved figures - the dinobots! Looks like its time to stock up!
- OUT - Shia LaBeouef.
- Shia Labeouef, who was the main character of the first three Transformers movies, will not be appearing in the upcoming Transformrs 4. According to Michael Bay, the reason is pretty simple "because it's hard to make a fourth movie with the same characters." Bay was quite complimentary of LaBeouef and added that originally, he had only wanted to do three movies, however, he later decided that "I wanted to do one more. I knew that the only way to make it work out was to reinvent the whole thing. There's a reason why we have a new cast-it's in the script. Originally, the studio said, 'Let's just do it with another kid.' I said, "No, because everyone's going to compare that kid to Shia, who's like magic lightning in a bottle. He's one of a kind!"
- IN - Mark Walhberg (the father)
- In this installment, Mark Walhberg will be cast as the lead in this installment. Walhberg previously started in Micheal Bay's film "Pain and Gain", and apparently, they got along quite well. It is pretty exciting (and promising) to have an Oscar-nominated actor as the lead for the movie. Not much is known about the storyline, however, Bay did give away a bit of a hint "So, what I'm doing on this one is that Mark Wahlberg plays a young dad with a 17-year-old daughter. She has this boyfriend her dad doesn't know about. It's a back doorway for how to get kids into this.". Rumor specifically has the her boyfriend likes to drive race cars. Unlike the previous story line, this next film is rumored to focus more on the father-daughter relationship than the previous films.
- IN - Nicola Peltz (the daughter)
- Best known for The Last Airbender (she was Katara - and ironically was nominated for a Razzie for Worst Supporting Actress for it), Peltz also currently stars as a high school student in the A&E series Bates Motel. She is 18 years old, and is considered to be an up and coming actress similar to how Meghan Fox was viewed previous to the first Transformers Movie being released.
- IN - Jack Reynor (race car boyfriend)
- Not much is known about Jack Reynor, but apparently, Michael Bay is impressed! He is a little known Irish actor who Bay spotted in a film called "What Richard Did".
- IN - Kelsey Grammar (villain - Harold Attinger, a counter intelligence agent)
- IN - Stanley Tucci
- IN - Sophia Myles (major supporting role)
- IN - Li Bingbing (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/20/transformers-4-li-bingbing/)
- Bingbing has previously starred in Resident Evil: Retribution. Of Chinese descent, supposedly Bingbing will link the film to China - Bay mentioned that parts of the film will be filmed in China (an interesting side note is that one popular reason to do this is to "help it qualify as a Sino-U.S. co-production and thus avoid the country's import quota on foreign films, which is designed in part to promote its own domestic (and relatively much less lucrative) film industry." Also, interestingly enough, there will be a reality tv series that airs in China to cast 4 speaking roles in the film including a Kung-fu fighter, sexy lady, computer geek, or Lolita type. Estimates are that something like 80,000 people will audition for these roles.
More stuff we found out:
This reboot of Transformers movies are set to be a trilogy like the original movies were. Bay is directing the first installment, however, it is not a given that he will direct any of the others (he may pass the baton to another director since he states pretty frequently how overwhelming it is to direct a movie of this size).
Filming is supposedly going to take place in Chicago, Detroit, Austin, and Hong Kong.
Peter Cullen will be back as Optimus Prime.
Tyrese Gibson might be back.
Glenn Morshower will be back as General Morshower.
The film is supposed to be darker than Transformers Dark of the Moon and also incorporate significant "real-world" events in the same way that DOTM incorporated the Apollo moon landing.
Tuesday, January 14, 2012: Reboot: Bay notes that "Steven Spielberg and [Bay] are working on a whole new re imagining of Transformers, the fourth installment" and "[Transformers 4] will be a whole new story."
Monday, January 13, 2012: The big announcement - The blog of Michael Bay and a host of other news outlets confirm he will direct Transformers 4, and the release date is June 29, 2014. Bay sets 'the record straight' that he will do 2 movies with Paramount, one of which will be 'the next Transformers for release on June 29, 2014'.
So far, the cast of directors/producers is a reunion of sorts, including Michael Bay, Don Murphy, Tom DeSanto, Ian Bryce, Steven Spielberg, Brian Goldner, Lorenzo di Bonaventura, and Mark Vahradian. Hear more from Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura below (video may not work in some regions):
Here is the original press release.
A nice present for the 30th anniversary of the toy line? I can't belive 1984 was basically 30 years ago. Ugh!
Feeling nostalgic? Visit our online Transformers store where you can buy all your old favorites toys such as Optimus Prime, Megatron and Soundwave (not to mention those hard-to-find obscurities)! more info
We buy collections! Still have that pile of old-school TF goodness in the closet? We are interested and will pay cash for your collection! We have a great reputation for our fair pricing offers and fast payments. Ask to see our list of references! more info