pre emptive warning

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Bingo. Shouldn't the jets each have some factory applied decals?
Razorclaw
Predacon Commander
Location: Behind you, ready to chop your head with my sonic sword...

Post by Razorclaw »

Indeed.But what if someone opens the box,applies all stickers and tries to sell it as MIB?Are there any other noticeable differences on the box and the bots?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, To dungeons deep and caverns old. The pines were roaring on the height, The winds were moaning in the night, The fire was red, it flaming spread, The trees like torches blazed with light.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

yeah. all originals in that nice of shape are probably AFA'd by now :P
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

I got an origional Superion gift set back when they were only $30. I Have most of the parts. Small guns got lost and I had to do some operating on Slingshot due to a broken tail piece. Other then that all is well.
I concur the painted glod was on the Super bot head only. Also with the factory sticker thing.
I would get one if I didn't already have a G1.
Shockwave though I may have to get that one.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

at $70, shockwave's disturbingly similar to his original G1 price... If i didn't have one, i'd likely save up and get a verifiable original.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Frankly, this is getting disturbing. There's only ONE way that this nonsense could be carrying on... and that's with the express (albeit closeted) consent of Hasbro. They have to be getting kickbacks or something.

You don't see the counterfeiters making exact replicas of Popy/Chogokin (which could be FAR more lucrative!) now, do you?
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Time Traveller wrote:yeah. all originals in that nice of shape are probably AFA'd by now :P
Except, of course, that AFA won't touch a Transformer that's NOT MISB. :(
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

AFA?
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

LD2062 wrote:AFA?
Action Figure Authority. For an exorbitant fee, they will look at your item, assess it's condition, and then encase it in a lucite prison, never to be touched or enjoyed by human hands again.

For Star Wars and GI Joe, they will grade them loose, or MOSC/MIB.
For anything else, they only grade MISB.

EDIT (While typing this post): HOLY CRAP! They grade loose Transformers now! Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh.

(Can you see where I stand on the slabbing issue?)
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Slabbing makes sense for COINS...

What I meant, btw, that even if someone were to buy superion, heat the tape and sneak him out, apply the factory decals, and reseal it,

any SEALED supe gift set that newish would have been AFA'd.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Right. And what Razorclaw is saying (which is what actually happened, quite frequently, when these damned KOs were initially released) was to the effect of:

"How will we be able to tell these apart if someone opens them, applies the stickers, and sells them as MIB?"

Your point holds for MISB TT, but for MIB, not so much. No one has ever really tried to pass these off as genuine G1 MISBs before. However they HAVE tried to pass them off as genuine G1 MIBs.
Ironhide
Original Oldskool 'Bot

Post by Ironhide »

Would it be correct to assume then, that these KOs are less likely to be passed off as mint loose figures, since there will be (much) less value involved, compared to MIB/MISB?
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

AFA can also be off the hook. I am aware of other experts (a British auction house) which have approved fakes as rare originals.

As for these KOs I believe they CAN be found for sale as mint loose. Think of somebody trying to recover back some of his/her investment after getting a reproduction box.

It's good to get our brains to work analyzing fakes, but IMO them ones are just too good. From a picture, I wouldn't be able to tell in many cases. Especially if it comes to loose accessories...
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Hound wrote:Would it be correct to assume then, that these KOs are less likely to be passed off as mint loose figures, since there will be (much) less value involved, compared to MIB/MISB?
No. In fact, these are MORE likely to be passed loose! Often, the easiest giveaway to these KOs are variations in the packaging. Remove that, and it becomes nigh impossible (as Jose mentioned) to tell them apart from a mere picture.

Here are two hypothetical (though likely) scenarios:

1) DeadBeatA already has a G1 Shockwave, but no box or styro. He purchases the KO for $90, and puts his G1 Shockwave into it. He then sells his mint (KO!) Shockwave on Ebay for $135. He has cleared $45, AND has a new display case for his Shocky!

2) DeadBeatB wants to make money. He purchases a few various knockoffs, and parts them out.
a. Shockwave $135
b. Shockwave styro $40
c. Shockwave instructions & tech $30
DeadbeatB has just made $115 profit. Maybe less if he has to buy a true G1 barrel (we'll see!) to complete the ruse.

This holds for most of what has been knocked off... you can part it all out, and make a profit in some manner or another :(. And this doesn't even account for the insiduous ways this crap filters down into the collecting community. (Like, for instance, when a collector passes on, and his family auctions his belongings.)
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

Its not just the crooks that are a problem. Its the people who don't know enough to know its fake, which given the quality of them, is most all of us. For most of use what else can we do but check for a manufacturing stamp?

Many ebay sellers even do that. They simply post 1 blurry picture and say they don't know anything about it.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

On the bright side... it *may* eventually get to the point where our figures with their minor imperfections are at a premium! (A man can dream, can't he?)
Catalyst Prime
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Catalyst Prime »

To some (small) extent I prefer my KO Defensor to a original.

My have cheap plastic and poorly applied decals. but at least the Fire truck is red...
All that was needed is a catalyst... and the machines of war are set in motion.

If at first you don't succeed, Destroy all evidence that you tried.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

the old switcheroo :lol:
The past is the greatest teacher
Commander Megatron

Post by Commander Megatron »

What will they think of next!!