What are these then?

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

What are these then?

Post by Ramjet »

Who's the space shuttle dude. Can anyone tell me anything about him?

Also, what's the deal with this?!? In Japan, Battle Beasts were Transformers? I thought someone just saw Takara on the BB and the box and threw them together, but on the box is Sharky and the BB. That's a weird crossover.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0396671320
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Drawing a blank on the space shuttle (for now)...

But as for Battle Beasts, they were marketed in Japan as "BeastFormers". They were featured in the episode "Rebellion on Planet Beast" during the Japanese Headmaster season. The grand story behind the Japanese incarnation of Battle Beasts is pretty difficult to come by, as it was scattered across a multitude of formats (the cartoon cameo, toy insert pamphlets, toy packaging, candy packaging, etc).
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

That's pretty cool, really. Do you remember, does the shuttle transform or is it just a figure?
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Ramjet wrote:That's pretty cool, really. Do you remember, does the shuttle transform or is it just a figure?
looks like a non transforming figure.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

Ramjet, I have a little piece of info on the Battle Beasts in a book at home. I will search it out tomorrow and get back to ya' tomorrow.
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

I agree with Dez,

the "trainformer" looks "solid"
The past is the greatest teacher
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

"In 1987 the first Transformer spin-off was introduced both in japan and in the US. A new race of aliens was introduced to the transformer univers in episode five of the JP Headmaster series. these characters resemble humanoid versions of earth animals and wore armored suits. They live on the planet Beast. [skipping a bunch...] Battle Beasts were never properly introudced into the Transformer universe since by the time they were released the Transformers television show had been canceled [in the US], and the Battle Beast toyline only generated one short-lived comic book series produced by Blackthorne Publishing. Despite the lack of promotion through the comic book and television tie ins, the toy series did well enough to generate a second series of figures."

--David Kolodny-Nagy, Transformers: Botcon '94 Ten Year Retrospective

For years, by the way, this book was often my only glimpse into existence of toys I didn't have. Tantalizing scans of promotional imaging for JP only toys, text-only list of the US G1, and the misguided notion that Wheeljack was a Maserati (dad corrected this blasphemy when it eventually came up in conversation)

We knew so little back then :P
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

thats weird I saw part of him at th markets today lol. looks like cheap plastic

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Kasht
Noob

Post by Kasht »

Hey, that "Optimus Prime" looking toy is really a Gobot called "Road Ranger". Here is more info on the bot: http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Regula ... anger.html

Hope that helps some! :)
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Kasht wrote:Hey, that "Optimus Prime" looking toy is really a Gobot called "Road Ranger". Here is more info on the bot: http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Regula ... anger.html

Hope that helps some! :)
Yeah, Ben, I've got about a dozen of him for you, if you find your way down here, lol :P