ROTF Mixmaster Assembly Error

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

Shrapnel
Gestalt Warrior

ROTF Mixmaster Assembly Error

Post by Shrapnel »

OK, so I finally got Mixmaster today and he's a great figure, but when transforming him I was dismayed to see that one of the pieces was flipped in the wrong direction (rotated 180 degrees around the long axis of the piece, compared to the illustrations in the instructions).

The piece in question is the darker gray segment in the long arm connected to the cab section (the second segment in the arm counting out from the bumper). The problem only seems to affect the robot mode (although I haven't bothered transforming him to the cannon-thing mode yet). Anyway, with the dark gray pieced swapped the way it is, the cab section can't quite be transformed like it is in the instructions because the joint doesn't bend in the required direction. It doesn't affect the figure that much as the cab will still tab into his back but it sticks out a bit more than I think it's supposed to.

I googled it and found several others with the same complaint and I was just wondering if the error is common to all Mixmasters. So, those of you with Mixmasters, do your figures seem to have the same assembly error?

And those of you with customizing/repair experience - the piece in question is held in place on one end with a pin. I know the pins can be pushed out, but if I do push the pin out and rotate the piece, will the pin go back in and be stable, or will it be loose?
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

My Mixmaster seems to be ok
But I did have a FALLout with the FALLEN.
His right elbow is supposed to be a mirrored mold from his left.
Mine had 2 left elbows making it impossible to transfrom into jetmode.
I had to take mine back and get another.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I also noted the mixmaster thing, Shrapnel. It seems that the hinge is the right way in some modes, and the wrong way in others. a little discrepency among the design team, i'd say. In fact, I tried to remove the pin and reverse the hinge, but DAMN, that thing is STUCK! I was here with the cab portion removed, hammering on a tap to try to loosen that pin, and it did not budge. I wouldn't recommend this! Further, If i remember right, if you DO reverse the pin, it will actually make things WORSE... except in cannon mode. To me, robot mode is more important, so I'll be leaving it as it is, and improvising with the cab in cannon mode.
Shrapnel
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Shrapnel »

Time Traveller wrote:In fact, I tried to remove the pin and reverse the hinge, but DAMN, that thing is STUCK! I was here with the cab portion removed, hammering on a tap to try to loosen that pin, and it did not budge. I wouldn't recommend this! Further, If i remember right, if you DO reverse the pin, it will actually make things WORSE...
Thanks for the input, TT! I'm going to leave the pin and hinge alone.
Sideswipe1
Throttlebot

Post by Sideswipe1 »

i was thinking about getting mixmaster but if it may have an assembly error im not sure
Shrapnel
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Shrapnel »

Sideswipe1 wrote:i was thinking about getting mixmaster but if it may have an assembly error im not sure
Assembly error or not, I think Mixmaster is well worth it. The error doesn't impact the vehicle mode and barely affects the 'bot mode. I'd certainly recommend him, Sideswipe1.
Sideswipe1
Throttlebot

Post by Sideswipe1 »

ok good then i will get it
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Re: ROTF Mixmaster Assembly Error

Post by Minerva »

Shrapnel wrote: I googled it and found several others with the same complaint and I was just wondering if the error is common to all Mixmasters. So, those of you with Mixmasters, do your figures seem to have the same assembly error?
I got mine today and it has the same problem. I think I'll just leave it as it is though, since it doesn't affect the vehicle- and robot mode much.

Also, I agree with Shrapnel: the figure is well worth it despite the small error. :)
Scrapper
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Scrapper »

Mixmaster will be my first ROTF toy so I'm very interested....

I had read on some boards that transforming him from vehicle to robot is rather difficult,can you confirm?

For the other thing...
I hope that error that you find creates just little esthetic problems ,the bad thing would be that it makes transformations even harder.
I'd like to display Mxmaster both in vehicle and robot mode and I hope that can be done too in the unlucky case that I buy a robot with error :? .
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

It seems like all the figures have the same error. I haven't heard of anyone without it so far. The error is quite minor, so it hardly affects his robot mode at all. The cannon mode is slightly more affected, but you can still make him look ok in that mode too. The vehicle mode is not affected at all.

Regarding the level of difficulty to transform him; he's a 3 out of 4.
It took me a while to transform him the first time and I think that the instructions make it seem more difficult than it really is, but that's just me. :P
Sideswipe1
Throttlebot

Post by Sideswipe1 »

unfortunately for me i have yet to see mixmaster in my area
Scrapper
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Scrapper »

Thanks again for the info,Minerva.So the error is minor ,at least these are good news, considered the situation af all figures.

I'll buy this Mixmaster, then :) .
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

No problem. :)
Good luck!
Sideswipe1
Throttlebot

Post by Sideswipe1 »

i still havnt seen mixmaster yet but i will get it somehow
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

scratches head.

Where exactly is this assembly error?

I got mine yesterday and I've had no problems with transforming him into any of his three modes.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

can you take a picture of his underside in truck mode, where the arm that holds the front bumper of the cab is?
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Time Traveller wrote:can you take a picture of his underside in truck mode, where the arm that holds the front bumper of the cab is?
theres a pic that shows that section in the most recent composite ROTF devastator lesson I posted.

{Is it missassembled or doesn't it seem like that to me because I tend to avoid looking at the [de]instructions that are normally provided with the figures}
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Hah! yours is assembled the right way. weird.