ROTF Deluxe Breakaway and Sideways reviews

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

With thanks to a friend. Heres a pair of reviews

Sideways and Breakaway.

Vehicle mode:-
Sideways:-
Well I think he's an audi but SH said he was something else. He's primarily a nice dark silver colour with black paint apps and light purple tinted clear windows. Again though clear windows are nice but all they let you see is some robot mode kibble.

Breakaway:-
This is the takara colour variation which is primarily a nice dark bronze colour. The other plastic colours on this figure are also darker than the normal hasbro one. Its quite a nice jet mode with working landing gear which is also a bonus. Having his robot mode head being visible in this mode is a shame as it looks kinda goofy.

Ratings:-
Sideways: 7/10
Breakaway: 6/10

Transformation.

Very complex for a normal deluxe class figure. Not quite alternator level transformation but its very interesting. He does include an automorph feature in his front wheels but this doesn't seem too bad when you consider how little it actually does.

Breakaway:-
Very simple when compared to his buddy for this double review. But then theres nothing on him thats likely to break with time.

Ratings:
Sideways : 8/10

Robot mode:-

In his official robot mode he had bunny ears and a massive kibble pack that sits on his shoulders and blocks his light piping. He does have small ballerina feet and can be quite hard to balance. He does look similar to barricade in this mode but thats not a bad thing.

Breakaway:
He has good articulation and looks quite nice. But the head in the middle of his torso is a bit unsightly to me. Especially when the fins are up in the official configuration.

Simple no mod fixes:-
Here are my unofficial robot modes. I have moved Sideways's backpack kibble down along with the bunny ears so that his light piping is now working and his arms have a little bit more movement in them.
All I have done with breakaway is leave his tailfins against booster jet kibble Makes the head seem less goofy in this config.

Ratings:-
Sideways: 7/10

Final notes and totals:
Vehicle: 7/10
Transformation:8/10
Robot: 7/10
total: 7.5/10
notes: Worth getting, maybe not for full retail price but the mold is decent. I'd say wait for the black recolour.

Breakaway
Vehicle: 6/10
Transformation: 6/10
Robot: 6/10
total: 6/10
notes: An average figure. better than I thought he would be. Best option would be to apply the fan fixes to the figure if you get one
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I just saw a dark-colored breakaway in stores yesterday. Mine's the light gold, and the one i saw was definitely the dark bronze you depict. I don't know if it has darker blue and green though. Anyone bought a US breakaway of this sort?