ROTF Voyager Starscream

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

ROTF Voyager Starscream

Post by Deszaras »

ROTF starscream

vehicle mode:-
While this jet mode looks sleek and nice when you see him on shelves it has problems. First and foremost the wings are held in place by very small tabs and on mine they jump out of place whenever I touch the figure. The hands and mech alive chest being visible don't matter much to me. I don't mind the tattoos on the figure but the fact that the small tabs probably won't survive many transformations.

Rating 6/10

comparison vs original movie screamer:-
Much less bulk overall here. You pay more now and get less plastic than you did before.

Transformation:-
Again the [de]instructions appear to annoy you. Transformation is interesting and nicely complex, probably one of the best I have yet seen from a voyager class figure.

rating:- 9/10

Robot mode:-
{shown next to original one for comparison purposes}
The new starscrem is very nice in this mode if a little small when it comes to limb sizes. He has some missile launchers that a molded like gatling guns, very nice. {And unlike his predecessor he doesn't feature hair trigger missile launchers.} Having hands is OK but you can't really do anything with them due to how they are hinged. The mech alive chest is probably the best use of the gimmick I have yet seen on a ROTF figure.
Again though you get far less plastic for more money as he lack the bulk of the first movie screamer.

rating 8/10

total:-
vehicle : -6/10
transformation:- 9/10
robot:- 8/10
Final rating:- 7.5/10

final notes:
Starscream is a good figure but like all movie TF's he is flawed in many ways. Because of his great transformation and excellent robot mode he is worth considering but is hard to recommend.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Catalyst Prime
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Catalyst Prime »

I've been thinking of a mod where one hand is the gatling gun and the other from the first movie screamers. so he would also have the missiles.

But I cant imagine just how it would look... quite ugly and out of place?

But overall The RotF SS is superior to the first one. He even has jet exaust ports!
All that was needed is a catalyst... and the machines of war are set in motion.

If at first you don't succeed, Destroy all evidence that you tried.
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Catalyst Prime wrote:but overall The RotF SS is superior to the first one. He even has jet exaust ports!
After further toying with the figure I disagree with this statement. The first movie voyager is more solid and is much bulkier. But the ROTF one has very fragile wings and other parts. (Mine was slowly but surely breaking itself every time it was transformed so I sold it off. The wings were getting stress marks and wouldn't sit right, as was the point where the chest edges folded down, the leg shields were starting to separate and other such horrible fault were starting to form as I transformed him. So in time I would assume that something similar will start to occur with all of the ROTF voyager starscreams. I hope the leader one is better. I'll pick it up just to see.)

So I'm adding to my final notes on the figure.

'If you have the original movie screamer its best not to waste your money on the ROTF one. As while it is well engineered it is made of very thin plastic that will eventually stress up or break due to the figures transformation putting strain on some of the parts.'

{In comparison scores the 07 one scores 8/10 so there quite close. I personally prefer the 07 one though.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Sideswipe89
Throttlebot

Post by Sideswipe89 »

i like this figure. the jet mode definitely looks better. i only have two minor gripes though: 1 for some reason the tattoos on mine seem to be slowly rubbing off and two they originally did have hinges in his hands so they could fold up in jet mode but they removed them for some odd reason but strangely they still show it with the hinges on the box.
"I don't break the rules, I bend them, alot" Sideswipe G1
NUCKATRON
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by NUCKATRON »

I have both SS's being compared in this thread. I've never had any issues with my ROTF SS wings. My best guess would be that you have either a defective SS??? My ROTF SS wings are very sturdy and do not pop apart so easily. I can pick mine up by one wing in jet mode without it coming apart.
Mr. T says... "moe den meats dee eye, FOO!"

(insert transformation sound here)