TRU Commemorative series

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

trance
Site Admin

TRU Commemorative series

Post by trance »

OK, so does anyone know if there are any differences between the original G1 parts and the re-issue parts of:

Grapple
Skids
Tracks
Dirge
Hoist
Inferno
Prime (other than the cab and missiles)
Red Alert
Ricochet - is Nightstick any different from TM Cyclonus's TM?
Hot Rod (Rodimus Major)
Rodimus Prime
Sideswipe
Skywarp (other than missiles)
Starscream (other than missiles)
Thundercracker (other than missiles)
Ultra Magnus (other than fists and missiles)
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Of the few of those I have I dont notice any differences in the bots. The stamps may be different, but I my hoist says hasbro 1982
R.I.P. Menasor
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Dinobot wrote:Of the few of those I have I dont notice any differences in the bots. The stamps may be different, but I my hoist says hasbro 1982
There's differences in every single one, IIRC. Depending on the figure, it can be a difference in accessories, stickers, or molding. And the stamps *should* be different on all of them, if for no other reason than they're now made in China.

I'm pretty sure I have a link that describes most of them floating around here somewhere, I'll look...
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Hoist is the easiest to tell - you have to just look at the forearm union with the upper green piece. The TRU version has this part trimmed, so you could remove the forearm with a strong pull. On a 1985 release you have to break it.

Others I can tell from memory:

Inferno: Autobot symbol on chest is tampo-printed, vs. a label on earlier versions.

Prime has different fists - with a peg coming out from between the fingers, bloated gun, silver painted roller.

Sideswipe has tampo printed headlight and "rally racing" deco, vs. labels on the old version; no Lamborghini badge on label set - but "star" badge - no "Countach" rear labels either.

Also, none have working missile launchers - not sure about Prime though.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Alas, after re-reading Trance's original question, the answer is:

You're not bloody likely to notice any differences between commemorative and genuine g1 parts. Sometimes, the plastic will "feel wrong" since it's a slightly different makeup now... when I get a lot of parts that includes ANY re-issue bots, I end up having to throw ALL of the accessories into my "tainted" bag, because you just really can't tell with loose accessories. For the most part. There's a few exceptions.

I'll have to compare my Ricochet Nightstick with the TM Cyclonus Nightstick (though, I bought that from you, Trance, so hopefully it's *actually* a TM Cyclonus Nightstick, and I'm not comparing two Richochet Nightsticks! LOL) I hadn't even realized they were the same guy!
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Oops. G1 parts. :oops: Try a lab test then, from a picture is impossible to tell.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Jose wrote:Oops. G1 parts. :oops: Try a lab test then, from a picture is impossible to tell.
Thanks guys, all the info helps....
Basically, I'm doing this for the ID section...so if someone is looking, for example, for a Dirge missile, I don't want 2 identical-looking pieces to show up in the results when they search 'black missile'.

Does that make sense?
Now, how would that change things?
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

It's not bloody likely that you'll be able to show any differences (if they even exist) using the system you currently have. You would need an image magnifier like those that ImageLogik provides. And then you'd STILL need a note saying something along the lines of: "You're looking for a slight loss of detail in the ridging on X" or "See that dot there? It's for venting air during the molding process. It's 2 mm to the left on a G1 part".
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

A few months back I got a bunch of loose inferno accessories and I was trying to figure out if they were g1 or g2 or even KO.

The gun was the easiest to tell. it didn't have that empty space between the bars. I though it was ko for awhile. But looking at other places, and even the group shot on the g2 section I think that was just a change for g2. But if you go to the g2 inferno info page the riffle picture has the empty space. I think it needs to be changed.

But for things like the optimus rocket I have listed on my sales list I've never found anyone who can tell me which it is.