Diaclone Slag

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

trance
Site Admin

Diaclone Slag

Post by trance »

I have just received a Slag that looks just like this:

..chrome horns, blue metal chest, all the accessories are the same...except the missiles have round bulbs on the top.
Also, you can't see from this picture, but the robot legs are white.

However, I do not see any markings, so should I assume this is a fake? Any resources out there describing this one? I checked Fred's workshop, but he has no pictures of Diaclone Slag....
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I think those bulbous things at top are just part of the missile sprue. Sharp piece you've got there!
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

The only way I have had to distinguish fake Diaclone Slags has been the box. Other than that, I haven't had a pretty close look to those to be positive.

I'll be getting a Diaclone Slag this year though, so I will have more news later.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Well, I would say with 99% certainty that it's Diaclone Slag. Why?

1) The small portion of the box that I can see says Takara in Hiragana (or maybe it's Katakana, I've never been too good at distinguishing them when in a typed font). If this is a fake, then they've put it into a genuine Diaclone box.

2) No, TT, unless I'm mistaken, if you look *really* closely, there are very small bulbs on the ends of the missiles... NOT the large bulbs on the tree.
On all the vintage KO's that I've seen, these bulbs have actually been MUCH LARGER. Larger than those bulbs on this tree, even! Somewhere, I have a couple that I'll try to photograph if I get the chance.

3) With those two said, Fred's says "Dinosaur Robo was release late enough in japan that all the toys had copyright stampings. If your toy is missing it, then it's a fake- a good one, but fake nonetheless."

I'd give it another combover for the copyright stamping. It's probably there somewhere.

I've bought some stuff from Fred recently... if you *still* can't find a copyright stamp, I can shoot him an e-mail and ask him if he's POSTIVE regarding the above quoted statement?
Overlord
City Commander

Post by Overlord »

Banzai-Tron wrote:Well, I would say with 99% certainty that it's Diaclone Slag. Why?

1) The small portion of the box that I can see says Takara in Hiragana (or maybe it's Katakana, I've never been too good at distinguishing them when in a typed font). If this is a fake, then they've put it into a genuine Diaclone box.
It's in Katakana...hooray for 1 semester of Japanese back in college!
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Overlord wrote:
Banzai-Tron wrote:Well, I would say with 99% certainty that it's Diaclone Slag. Why?

It's in Katakana...hooray for 1 semester of Japanese back in college!
I took about 3 years... so now the Hiragana and Katakana are second nature, and all jumbled together in my head. Especially when in a typed font, lol. Thanks!
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

I'm feeling compelled to clarify things a bit...
That boxed Slag was not the one I have...the one I have is pictured below.
Notice the large bulbs on the missiles :)
I'm not 100% sure those missiles came with that slag, but they came in the collection that slag came in.

Anywho, any thoughts?

Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

The bulbs on those missiles make me think KO.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Those bulbs are EXACTLY what I was trying to describe as the KO Slag bulbs. The first picture you posted, if I'm not mistaken, is up for sale on Tfieds, correct? That one is almost assuredly legit.

Given the large bulbs, and the apparent lack of a copyright stamp, I'd say you probably have a fake. Though, it's still a fake that I'd be willing to pay a decent amount of money for, LOL! PM me a price!
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Banzai-Tron wrote:Those bulbs are EXACTLY what I was trying to describe as the KO Slag bulbs. The first picture you posted, if I'm not mistaken, is up for sale on Tfieds, correct? That one is almost assuredly legit.

Given the large bulbs, and the apparent lack of a copyright stamp, I'd say you probably have a fake. Though, it's still a fake that I'd be willing to pay a decent amount of money for, LOL! PM me a price!
Well you know the old saying. A KO to fill the gap until you get a real one.... {Or in some cases the good quality KO is as sought after as the real thing.}
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

I was going to say KO because of the face and fists finish, and the stickers. That KO however is a collector piece in itself...
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
billprestonesquire
Noob

Post by billprestonesquire »

KO. the coloring is slightly off. however that may just be because my computer isn't showing it correctly.

what makes me sure it is a KO is the fact that you can't find any manufacturer's markings. i have been able to find markings on all my Diaclones and Micro Change except for the cassettes, Starscream and Thundercracker. i am pretty sure those are all authentic because i have had several pass through my hands and never found markings on any of them.

the markings on the Diaclone Slag are found in robot mode. there is a chest panel that was made to store the Diaclone Driver. lift the chest panel down and you will see a Takara Japan stamp.

KOs are collectible, albeit not as much as the real deal. but, they do deserve a place in the annals of the TF toy universe. enjoy it!
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

Welcome to TransFormerLand, billprestonesquire! And you're already making yourself useful; thank you very much for contributing to our pool of knowledge. i'm sure you'll fit in just fine...
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)