G1 jetfire

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

G1 jetfire

Post by LD2062 »

I know there is a macross version of jetfire. Is this it, or did someone just apply some macross stickers to it? Or possibly its a valkyrie?

The tail wings actually have the skull logo, but I don't have a picture of that.
captainamerica
Gestalt Warrior

Post by captainamerica »

At first I was 100% sure it was avalkyrie, but the more I look at your pics, the more I think it's a custom. Specifically: black paint on the wings, black on the outer hips, and the black on the chest doesn't look straight and appears a little fuzzy at the edge.

Can you show us the skulls on the tailfins? Are they stickers also?

But I believe the paint scheme is accurate for the Rick Hunter Skull Leader VF-1S.

However, I am 100% certain it is NOT the 'macross jetfire'. That one is identical to the regular Jetfire, except for the insignia on his wings(Macross symbol). Stripes on the wings should be red, not black.
My heart is die-cast.
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

If the macross jetfire is identical to the hasbro jetfire then you don't have either one.

"But I believe the paint scheme is accurate for the Rick Hunter Skull Leader VF-1S." -CA

I'm with CA on this one. Jetfire has a red nose cone. If you really don't see any white paint over red, then that is one give away. Another is the optic visor. Jetfire's is red not green.

Sweet fig nonetheless.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Yeah, I don't that is an official Jetfire, but is probably an official Macross dude. The Macross veriant of Jetfire will either have a Macross symbol sticker on one wing, or it will be painted on. If it is a sticker, you have to look for a gap in the red paint between the sticker and the red stripe...if you don't see a gap, then the sticker was just applied.

Also, some Macross Jetfires have notches in the antennae, and should have a MATSUSHIRO stamp :)
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I totally forgot about the Rick Hunted version of skull 1. I always remember skull-1 as the yellow stripe version.

I lean towards kitbashed jetfire myself. If this was a real valkyrie wouldn't the black canopy have a skull on it?
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

LD2062 wrote:I totally forgot about the Rick Hunted version of skull 1. I always remember skull-1 as the yellow stripe version.

I lean towards kitbashed jetfire myself. If this was a real valkyrie wouldn't the black canopy have a skull on it?
The skull can have been rubbed off. Also, the canopies are interchangeable. You have a Macross Valkyrie here, not a Jetfire. This is a known color variant.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
captainamerica
Gestalt Warrior

Post by captainamerica »

Here's what I see that indicates kitbash/custom:

Each of the spots I marked has a fuzzy edge to it, which can happen when you use masking tape and spray paint. The hip 'intakes' look like they were just dabbed with a paint pen. Not the clean, sharp edge you'd usually find on a manufactured toy from Japan.
My heart is die-cast.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Actually, this is a fairly easy one to solve, now that I think about it:

AFAIK, there are two vintage versions of the VF-1S:
1) This color variant, which *should* have a yellowish/orange canopy
2) The Yellow/Black paint scheme, which has a clear canopy and a black cover that clipped on OVER the canopy.

Since this is BOTH Red/Black, AND has a solid black canopy... it's almost assuredly a custom. Unless there's a vintage VF-1S that I don't know about.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Looking further, and with more calm, I have to say: I shall swallow my words.

However: The color variant exists. Canopies are interchangeable.

Reason: Casting is wrong for a Valkyrie. It has the rounded nosecone, which sported Jetfire only.

:oops: :oops:
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Jose wrote: It has the rounded nosecone, which sported Jetfire only.

:oops: :oops:
The man speaks truth. dunno why that didn't dawn on me sooner. Good spot, Jose!
michael123
Noob

Post by michael123 »

Hi computron,
i am agree with you that the macross jetfire is identical to the hasbro jetfire then you don't have either one.
I also believe the paint scheme is accurate for the Rick Hunter Skull Leader VF-1S." -CA and I am 100% certain it is NOT the 'macross jetfire'. That one is identical to the regular Jetfire, except for the insignia on his wings Macross symbol.that is the great work,
keep it up, thanks for sharing. 8)

tiffany jewellery uk
tiffany jewellery uk
tiffany jewellery store
tiffany jewellery store
Last edited by michael123 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael123
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Hmm... Macross jets look pretty cool. Will have to look into them. I saw a set of knock offs with a decent design scheme/selection. Might pick that up.

Welcome to the board Michael123