Takara tomy buster optimus prime review

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Takara tomy buster optimus prime review

Post by Deszaras »

Robot mode:-
There is a lot of silver paint present on this figure and the paint applications are excellent overall. The kibble gun which makes the figure stand out is easily packed away and when it is undeployed it takes the place of the fuel tanks of the normal ROTF OP.
Ok down to business. Articulation wise he is limited by the shoulder kibble trapping against the swords and forearm kibble restricting his arm movement. His feet restrict his leg poses as they will only pivot backwards. Overall his articulation is less than the 07' movie prime provided but still reasonable when compared to the articulation of leader jetfire and megatron.

Rating:- 8/10 {-4 for articulation problems, + 1 for kibble gun, 1+ for excellent paint job}

Transformation:-
The japanese instructions add in some photos of how to do the more complex parts of the transformation making it interesting but not infuriating.

Rating 9/10

Vehicle mode:-
And here we are. Oddly for a japanese figure there is crappy and annoying soft rubbery plastic smokestacks present. Other than that he rolls well and has a rubbish vehicle sound button. (That is mentioned in the instructions of buster prime) The lights are clear plastic on the chromed front grill, I would have liked them to be painted but thats a minor complaint when compared with the very detailed paint scheme.

Rating 9/10

Extra
And we come to the 'combined mode'
This is not a figure selling feature to me as plainly it sucks. {This is the offical configuration. I would have preferred a deluxe two pack of specially designed combining jetfire and prime rather than them turning leader jetfire into a glorified flight pack.} Doing this combination removes all of the little articulation that prime possesses in his legs.

To me this combination adds nothing to this figure at all.

Final rating {robot 8/10, transformation 9/10, vehicle 9/10} 8.6/10

Final notes:
While this prime is a decent leader class figure he is not the amazing figure that many made him out to be. The inherent design flaws of the figures arms that restrict there movement cripple the playability. Buster prime is an improvement over the standard version as the extras {the gun and excellent paint apps} make it more bearable.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

I wonder if they'll do the voyager class Movie figure...they need to make it to 10 repaints :)
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Interesting review!
What are the differences between the 'normal' and 'Buster' Prime?
Swindle
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Swindle »

Obviously the gun,has crome on some parts that used to be just gray , pin stripes on the flames some better painted flames(more flames),a couple places are painted different,some plastic is colored differently, and he has no faceplate.
"Make deals, not war!"