ROTF Bludgeon

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

The Last Autobot
City Commander

ROTF Bludgeon

Post by The Last Autobot »

Alt mode

A very nice Japanese looking tank. Shame the treads don't turn, but that would've made him an (expletive) to transform. The orange doesn't fit, but, considering it's Bludgeon, all is forgiven. 9/10

Transformation-Very successful at hiding Bludgeon's robot mode, and not spectacularly difficult. 9/10

Robot Mode

A simply spectacular homage to G1. Amazing. I love this robot mode. A bit short, but still superb. It has some nice light piping in the skull face, but the turret back pack kinda keeps it from working too well. You can turn the turret and see it clearly, but that makes him look dumb.

Maybe it's because he's my favorite Decepticon, but I just gotta rate him high. 9/10. The reasons it isn't perfect are these. It's a little too short, in mid transformation, there's a bar that you push on that pops out his head and this sticks and can be frustrating. Another big disappointment was the flimsy rubber sword that looks nice, but is just to soft and malleable...I don't care though, he's awesome. Lastly, the previous reason severely limits his head articulation significantly. Don't let these reasons prevent you from buying this guy though. He's amazing.
Last edited by The Last Autobot on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Picked one up last night....He does look amazing though the "chicken feet" are a bit of a turn off and makes me think he would be liable to tipping over easily. Still on the fence on whether to open it, sell it or just keep it MISB.
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

KEEP IT MISB
KEEP IT MISB

DONT OPEN IT

HE LIKES BEING SEALED

REALLY HE DOES

* gasp pant gasp *
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Open it, open it, open it! It's hard to be a stealth ninja when you're locked in a plastic prison!

Seriously though... if anyone's holding on to their non-store exclusives MISB, thinking they're going to appreciate like G1 did... ummm... no. Even the store exclusives aren't likely to appreciate in value that much.

We live in a different world now! Free your toys!
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

That wouldn't be my reasoning for keeping it MISB. I rarely have time to touch my collection as it is. And the only thing I really care for and collect exclusively is G1. But if I were to sell it one day something unopened (no matter the age or production run) always sells better than something loose and played with. True?
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

i belive BT and i have been through such a debate before :P

the misb tiys will ALWAYS be worth more than the loose ones

and in 30 years time an misb ROTF bludgeon will be like gold dust and so expensive

same as any other old toy the value goes up steadily over time
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Dirge wrote:i belive BT and i have been through such a debate before :P

the misb tiys will ALWAYS be worth more than the loose ones

and in 30 years time an misb ROTF bludgeon will be like gold dust and so expensive

same as any other old toy the value goes up steadily over time
I'm not certain we have been through this before, but...

YES, MISB will ALWAYS be "worth more" than loose... but the difference for anything from the late 90s on will be negligible.

YES, A MISB ROTF Bludgeon WILL NOT be like gold dust (even though gold dust sells for between 50-90% of the value of its actual gold value, but that's another story) and WILL NOT be (excessively) expensive.

The difference in appreciation levels between G1 and the present is that our society has changed. Far fewer people throw things away today. And MANY more save things in MISB state than they did in the past. In the 80s, there weren't many yahoos buying 3 or 4 (or more) of something, and throwing it into storage... today, there are literally hundreds if not thousands doing exactly that. Combine that with much larger production runs... you'll be lucky if Bludgeon keeps pace with inflation.

In short, the value of modern toys *may* go up steadily over time, but it will be a MUCH less generous curve than you've seen with G1 toys. Don't believe me? Ask someone about the baseball card market trend. Then ask someone else about the comic book market trend.