G1 KO kingdom jetrobo paint

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

mickymac
Minispy

G1 KO kingdom jetrobo paint

Post by mickymac »

I recently acquired this G1starscream KO and was looking at the detailing and it got me wondering about the paint used for it. Were there any regulations back in the day, or is it possible that this could be lead paint? Is it possible to tell by looking at the paint whether it is lead based paint or not?
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I dont think lead based paint was ever used on toys back then when transformers were coming out. However, voltron used asbestos in some of their molds for the complete lion set, so im not sure. I doubt lead based paint was used though.
R.I.P. Menasor
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

Is the toy going to be given to a child? I grant that I've never looked up information on the subject, but I thought the health issues with lead paint were caused by eating it. Not just being around it. So wouldn't even toys with lead paint be safe for adult collectors?
mickymac
Minispy

Post by mickymac »

There's no chance of the toy going to a child unless the child is in it's 30s and it's me :)
Thanks for posting back. I got a bit concerned when I opened the packing and the red paint on the die cast chest section was flaky - that was what got me thinking about whether lead paint was ever used. To be honest though, I'd be more concerned about asbestos being used in toy production :?
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

Yeah thats a concern for me too. I have a box of vintage voltron stuff. Asbestos is an airborne issue.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

LD2062 wrote:Yeah thats a concern for me too. I have a box of vintage voltron stuff. Asbestos is an airborne issue.
Errr, where did you guys get this notion that Voltron had asbestos, of all things? Got any evidence?

Some Voltron WAS recalled back in the 80s... for LEAD.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml86/86070.html
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

No, I have no idea. First time I'd heard it was possible is in this thread. Like I said the possibility worries me. But I'm not pitching mine or anything.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Don't about the Starscream you have, but indeed Mexican Transformers had lead-based paint, so it could be possible.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

My buddy had his voltron thrown away as a kid cause his parents mentioned it had asbestos in it. Since I never really thought much about it afterwards, I didnt have reason to question it.
R.I.P. Menasor
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Dinobot wrote:My buddy had his voltron thrown away as a kid cause his parents mentioned it had asbestos in it. Since I never really thought much about it afterwards, I didnt have reason to question it.
I suspect that either you, or your friend's parents have mistakenly replaced the word "Lead" with "Asbestos".
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

More than likely :lol: :lol:
R.I.P. Menasor