Optimus Prime

Discuss in-depth toy info: markings, variations, packaging, or paperwork, or ask our experts your tough TF questions! General ID questions go in Toy Talk.

Moderator: Jose

Shockwave
Gestalt Team Leader

Optimus Prime

Post by Shockwave »

Hello new here,been buying some old transformers to make up for the ones I couldn't get as a kid. I really need the box for Gen 1 Optimus Prime,any know where, or have one to sell. just PM Thanks
Shockwave
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Shockwave »

I am also looking for sunstreaker Gen 1 box,Starscream's left back tailfin,right(blue) fist,1 smart bomb,and one long missile. Also anyone notice that you can't find the DVD boxsets anymore at stores or at least where I live you can't.Think after movie comes out they will go on market again. thanks for your time.
Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

They will, I dare say there will be a lot of TF stuff old and new out there after the movie comes out.
Omega Supreme
Targetmaster

Post by Omega Supreme »

Its going to be gross when the movie comes out.
Commander Megatron

Yeah I know but what can we do, a handful of die hard fans?
Shockwave
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Shockwave »

I just want some copies so I can watch with my kid,he is going be 3yrs. old, and I let him play with my old transformers that were in bad shape.
Commander Megatron

I bet they are in worse shape now!!
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

If you are happy with a good remake, you may be aware of the unlicensed Chinese versions which are out there. I have held a Prime and boy, it has only a tiny detail on the grill which makes it different from a vintage G1 Prime. As for the reissues, they are identical... Going to the spot: They come packaged in boxes which are similar to the original G1. Some of these Primes are being solds partially at eBay, and so you can also find those reproduction boxes. The only difference I have noticed is the lettering which reads "Autobot Commander"; the remake uses a different font (Arial alike), while the vintage has a square lettering (Eurostyle, Microstyle ATT). It's been said the article "The" before "Transformers" (upper flap) has different spacing. I haven't checked, but it's noticeable only under a magnifying glass. So, be careful what you pay for. Don't pay a premium for a box, be hesitant to a dead mint box, pay what you would for a remake, as it's nearly identical. It's a great reproduction box, but it's not a vintage original and there are people trying to pass them as such.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Jose

Post by Jose »

Also... If you want Transformers to play with, go for the Hasbro reissues. They are cheap (except for Optimus) and quite decent. In fact, 6 of my Transformers are of those and I'm content with them. Besides they have a retro style box. As for Sunstreaker, you will have to get a used vintage sample, as those are the most common - or less uncommon.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Commander Megatron

Optimus is the dearest?! No surprise there then he always was.
Jose

Post by Jose »

In 2002, when I got an internet connecton to my house, I started to get into eBay, and then, Megatron was way more expensive, as it's more fragile and less common. Three years of production against... Let me see... More than 5 I guess. Albeit it was recolored or slightly modified, Prime kept its original shape, while Megatron only was the true one until 1986 and a couple of reissues. A tank in G2 and a squirt water gun in the new line... Disappointing at least.

However, now while Megatron has stayed firm on its price, Primes have become more expensive, perhaps it's because of the movie?
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Commander Megatron

Possibly, I understand the point about megatrons toy. His legs were very poor and the big complaint was they would snap off. The G2 tank was good but ya' just can't beat the original and the best G1 version. Prime is the most famous of the TFs so with the new movie coming and the hype that is going with it people can almost just name their price for him. At least thats what i think.
Jose

Post by Jose »

I have been thinking further about this discussion...

When I get visitors who have no idea about Transformers, but my same age, the only thing they recognize is Optimus Prime. I reckon Prime's price is pushed by the casual collector who will have enough with a single representative figure. More demand for a perhaps not so big offer.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Commander Megatron

That is exactly it. OP was the BIG 1everyone knew, so had to have