The Ætherspite (Cambreaker's frigate)

This section is a read-only archive of the first Transformerland Roleplay section. Read, enjoy, and join up with our new storyline!

Moderators: Time Traveller, Blackjack

Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Minerva watches as Cambreaker gets up from the commander's chair, excuses himself and then leaves, looking as worn as he sounded.
She is just about to follow him when she sees Blackjack leave the bridge as well. Assuming that he's looking to get a word with Cambreaker too, she decides to wait. Just as she had a lot to talk about with him, she knew that Blackjack did as well.

Glancing around the room, Minerva felt as if all optics were turned to her, as if all the 'bots present were expecting her to go after Cambreaker.
She would, but not just yet.

Cycling a sigh and slumping back in her chair, Minerva turns her attention back to the screen, having decided to perform a few routine scans while she waited for a better opportunity to talk to Cambreaker.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Blackjack shakes his head. He could understand a mission you had to go on alone. He could understand not wanting anyone else to know so that you could go alone. What he didn't understand was this sudden lack of confidence that Cambreaker had in himself.

Save the apologies for Minoirva and the ottahs. I've heard all I need to and I'm just glad to have our commandah and my friend back.

He pauses and smiles. There really are no hard feelings here, but he does need to explain his own actions to that same commander and friend. It is Blackjack's turn to sigh.

In your absense I pulled them back togettah you know. The few 'bots that are now with us are all that's left. Nah, there might be a few more on Cybatron yet, but we're it. Galvatron is back because I failed at leadin' them against the Decepticons. They've taken Sideway's Maus and fled to Earth and now it looks like they've got new allies. All of this is on me, Cambreakah. If you think you're the only one wit regrets, think again.

His voice had become frantic and he was shaking as he said it. He wanted Cambreaker to know that he was responsible. But he also needed to ask something. And he hoped his friend would understand.

That's why I need to go. You had your moment to leave and take care of somethin' you had to do alone. I need to go to Earth, to stop the Decepticons from whatevah their plannin'...

He stopped. He'd considered that angle, the lie, and now he had no idea why he was telling it. Cambreaker would trust him right. He needed his friend to trust him.

No, that's wrong, I'm not goin' there to stop 'em. I'm goin' to face Sixshot. I can't rest, Cammy. What would you do if someone murdered Minoirva before your eyes? Would you be a good soldiah and wait for the ordah to come so you could slag 'em? I think you'd do the same as me. I've gotta settle it, once and for all. And I'll do everythin' I can to send Galvatron back to the Pit while I'm at it. I need you to undahstand and I need you to let me go. Please, as a friend and as someone who knew her, I need to do this.

He had fallen from the seat onto his hands and knees as he'd gotten more and more passionate. His voice had been raised to a fever pitch. He now realized where he was and he felt silly.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker stands slowly, and steps around the desk, offering a war-weary hand down to Blackjack. He saw Jack catch himself in such a prone position, and empathized with his friend... He felt much the same way, as though he should be on hand and knee.

Blackjack, my friend. I know I can't stop you from doing this, so I'm not going to try. I know your spark burns for justice, and I know what I would do- you're right. But I allow this on one condition.

Blackjack clasps the big bot's outstretched hand, and Cambreaker pulls him up, keeping his hand.

You come back to me. I need you here now more than ever. No foolish risks, no taking on the whole Decepticon army. Face him, defeat him, and come back to help us defeat the rest. And leave Galvatron... he's mine. So... two conditions, I guess.

Cambreaker reaches around to clasp Blackjack on the shoulder, before looking him in the optics, his hand's grip still firm enough to be menacing.

Do we have a deal?
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Blackjack takes his old friend's hand and is reminded of another time. Something like this, Cambreaker had been there too, had pulled him up out of the ashes. He listens to the conditions. He'd never thought about how he would defeat Sixshot, never considered that he might live through the battle. That was all there was, to avenge Roulette, all he'd lived for those last lonely vorns. Now Cambreaker was asking, no ordering, him to come back alive. Is this what he had left to live for, a promise? Leaving Galvatron alone was also a difficult task. The Decepticon commander would be close by wherever Sixshot was. It wasn't going to be an easy task, even with the Royal Flush. He feels the grip on his shoulder and hears Cambreaker speak.

Do we have a deal?

Deal. I'll be back befoar ya even know I'm gone. Promise.

Cambreaker releases his grip and Blackjack turns to walk towards the door. He stops to say one more thing.

Always hold on to her, Cammy. You don't want to know what that feels like.

He steps out into the empty corridor, feeling resolute yet stricken. He was going to embark on something dangerous, no suicidal. And his reasoning was what, vengeance? Had that ever solved anything. At the least, Blackjack hoped it would help him to rest easier in recharge. He walked to the hangar, feeling no need to discuss with anyone his reasons. Minerva would be upset at him for leaving, Rattrap as well. Maybe the others would think him a traitor to their cause. But he had needed to do this since that day, when he had seen the fear in her optics. He opened the door to the hangar.

Double Clutch was standing near the Royal Flush, as if waiting for him. He smiled to see another of his old friends although he'd wanted to leave without a trace.

She's still looking good after all this time. You sure know how to treat a lady Jack.

Whoevah said the Flush was a 'she'?

I figured a tough 'bot like you needed to have a lady in his life, Double Clutch chuckled and then turned more serious, I've looked her over and she's in prime condition, if you excuse the joke. You takin' her out?

Yeah....I uh....got an old score to settle wit a Deceptican.

If you do anything to her, I'll personally have your afterburner. I didn't just spend a few good cycles of my own time down here fixin' her up just so you could wreck her fighting the 'cons.

I'll be careful, Blackjack said as he climbed aboard the tank and strapped himself in for the journey to Earth.

See that you do, you old scoundrel.

Double Clutch watched with admiration as the Royal Flush's hatch closed and it made the transformation to space craft mode. He didn't know where Blackjack was bound, having met him after the incident, but he knew that it was going to test him.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

As Blackjack leaves, Cambreaker's fuel pump sinks in his chest. Had he screwed up AGAIN? Little could be done about it now. As he sits down, his positronic brain heats as he mulls over the quandary. He decides that he had done right by his friend, and he hopes that is enough. He hopes Blackjack returns to let him know it was enough.
Idly, he keys up after action reports and begins to read the logs. Passingly, he thinks of the human Decepticon, but it seems of little importance now. His friends are alive, and the Decepticons aren't on the attack just yet. Whether they would again accept him as one of their family, was more than he could ask. They are all alive. Cambreaker rests his face in his hands, feeling impatient of reading.
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

Haven't seen you guys in a while. Redline spoke softly, running her hands over the smooth lines of the consoles and mechanics surrounding the small platform in Engineering. The platform suspended her in the engine room, the powerful beast that propelled them humming a low note and pulsing with energon. Redline monitored the systems and primed the engine for any necessary sudden moves, waiting for any word from the bridge.

Leaving engagement. we're beginning a series of misdirection jumps. a voice crackled over the comms. Rattrap's voice brought a small relief to the red 'bot. So Cambreaker got us out of another conflict situation with finesse and ease. Just like old times... Redline muttered, partially to Snafu, who was sitting on the console beside her, and partially to the engines humming in front of her. Engineering was a lonely place, but Redline had spent many a cycle within these walls in the bowels of the AEtherspite, and she had a connection with the mechanics of the place.

As the warp drive primed, the whirring reaching higher and higher pitches while the ship's structure creaked and groaned like an old house, Redline continued to ponder the mixed feelings she had been experiencing since Cambreaker's return. While she was incredibly happy that they finally found their old friend and leader, having him step directly back into command, while seeming like the logical thing to happen, didn't feel right. His leadership wasn't the same, though Redline couldn't quite put her finger on why that was. Throughout Cambreaker's disappearance, and the subsequent dispersal of the Autobot forces in their entirety, the sense of abandonment and confusion emanated from each 'bot. Redline had known Cambreaker for a long time, but she knew he and Minerva were very close, and couldn't imagine how she felt during the whole ordeal. And now, for him to return without so much as an apology for his absence, was like another knife in the gears of each bot.

She was betrayed and hurt, and while he was their leader, he was also their friend, and everyone on this ship deserved an explanation of what happened. Resolute in her decision, Redline commed Rattrap. Everything is good down here. I'm leaving my post and will meet you on the bridge shortly. She would go up there and get an explanation. For all of them.

~~~~~~~~

Redline steps onto the bridge, her resoluteness about what she was about to do evident in her confident stride. However, as she looked up, expecting to see their leader, all she was presented with were the eyes of her comrades, looking at her expectantly with surprise. Cambreaker was nowhere in sight. Sighing heavily, she somewhat sheepishly moved to a smaller auxiliary console and sat, looking out at the stars streaking around them. Hopefully Cambreaker would return soon from wherever he had gone, and then they could all get their answer to the question every one of them was asking.

OOC ( I'm still not sure on the rules we decided on for bolding/not bolding/italicizing speech text, so sorry if I got it wrong. XP )
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker stands up and paces impatiently back and forth in the office of his quarters. He feels like insanity is crushing in from every side of his processor. The horrific visage of Elita-1's flayed body writhes and spasms in his mind. The infernal machine with which Galvatron stooped to conquer sundered everything Cambreaker thought he knew about horror in war. He had seen so much, strewn scorched body parts of comrades, remnants of robots pathetically trying to drag themselves... somewhere. The sorrow that exuded from a brother upon finding his brother slain. The sickening flicker of optics as a spark was extinguished. But this... this was something different. He tried to view his coup-de-grace as an act of mercy, but decides to try to put the events from his mind altogether. His friends here seemed so cold to him, and he recognized now that he had seen the same look on the faces of the Autobot guerrillas as he left Galvatron's universe.
Primus, was that all he did? Leave and disappoint the bots who count on him? He couldn't explain it. Nor could he explain to his crew the horrific crimes he'd had to commit to defeat Galvatron. He feels they will disown him if they hear of that murder, and they will disown him if he does not come clean. Forty two earth years he had been gone. That was the longest he'd spent away from his faithful crew in the last four million earth years. He wondered if they secretly felt his absence for that long. Time Traveller had assured him he'd only appear to be gone for a few weeks.

Time Traveller. Why did he have to ask this of Cambreaker?

Why not ask it of someone stronger?
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Shortly after Redline has entered the bridge, Minervas routine scans pick up a small craft leaving the Ætherspite’s docking bay area. Soon afterwards she spots the Royal Flush veering by, off to who knows where, on one of the monitors.
Blackjack…! Minerva thought that he’d decided to stay with the rest of them and not leave on some wild cyber-goose chase that would probably get him killed.
She felt foolish for thinking that she’d convinced him to stay. Apparently the wish to settle old scores was stronger than the will to remain here. In a way she didn’t blame him for making this choice as she would probably have done the same thing, but she couldn’t help but feel slightly betrayed for having been mislead.
Be safe Blackjack, whatever or whomever you may face. Come back to us when you're ready, we’re waiting for you, she thought to herself.

Cycling another sigh Minerva gets up from her chair, transforms and heads off toward Cambreakers quarters, assuming that was the place she would be most likely to find him.
Upon arrival she transforms back into robot mode and walks up to the door, ready to knock. She wasn’t sure why, but she caught herself hesitate for a moment before finally announcing her presence.
Cambreaker? Can I come in?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Here it comes, Cambreaker realizes, snapping out of his reverie. He reaches forward to push the door-open switch.
You are always welcome here, Minerva.
More welcome than I, he thinks. All he can do now, he figures, is be apologetic and pray to Primus for her forgiveness... which he knows he does not deserve.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

OOC: Sorry for the long absence from the RP..

Sideways makes his way towards the bridge to be with the rest of the Autobots, after having taken care of some issues on Cybertron.

Sorry for the absence. Can someone tell me what's going on?
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

((OOC: Hope Rattrap doesn't mind if i temporarily use one of Nighteye's Maintenance 'Bots as an NPC! BIC:))

One of Nighteye's Maintenance 'Bots (the one normally responsible for maintaining Nighteye's onboard music collection and currently tasked with transferring Makeway's damaged body from Nighteye's medical facilities into one of the more advanced CR chambers aboard the Ætherspite) responds to Sideways's question in a kind of a daze. "A Human calling himself Zarak contacted the Ætherspite. He seemed to be in command of a group of Decepticons and he wanted to speak to Rattrap and Dinobot, but didn't ask very politely. Cambreaker refused, and then another group of Decepticons showed up. Dirge was with them and even though he was as shocked as the rest of the Decepticons to see Cambreaker, Dirge tried to turn the Autobots against each other by saying that Minerva and Blackjack helped resurrect Galvatron. Galvatron seemed most afraid of Cambreaker, though, and he ordered his Decepticons and Zarak's to fall back to Earth. Cambreaker ordered some parting shots and trackers placed on the Decepticon ships, and then he just... left the bridge. Blackjack and Minerva each went to see him privately, but what they discussed..." The Maintenance 'Bot seemed to run out of words.

((OOC: For more about what you missed, you might try Blackjack's OOC synopsis of recent events in the RP; none of the Autobots on board the Ætherspite would be able to tell Sideways what the Decepticons are up to on Earth, although Blackjack himself did leave the Ætherspite to follow them and found them repairing the Decepticon's most powerful warship, the Nemesis.))
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

What could the Decepticons possibly want on Earth?

Sideways asks out loud. He knows that they already took his freighter, and he has that feeling he'll never see it again.

They took my ship. I need a new one.