The Ætherspite (Cambreaker's frigate)

This section is a read-only archive of the first Transformerland Roleplay section. Read, enjoy, and join up with our new storyline!

Moderators: Time Traveller, Blackjack

Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Cambreaker, do you have a spare antennae I can use to communicate back to Cybertron with? I have something I need to attend to.

Sideways pulls out his datapad and it begins to boot up.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Just plug in through the shipboard communications, we have enough antenna arrays to go around. Use tightbeam only though, I don't want any stray signals with Decepticons in the area, encrypted or not.

With that, Cambreaker transforms into truck mode and heads for the aft bridge, leading the way to the turbolift.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Minerva had been taken aback by Blackjack’s reaction to her outburst. She honestly didn’t think that she would convince him to stay, and even though she felt slightly guilty for stepping in to the position where she thought Cambreaker should have been, she was glad that Blackjack hadn’t gone.

Cambreaker… this was not the resolute mech she remembered. Had he changed, no, had they both changed so much since they last met?
After all this time apart, Minerva hadn’t expected things to go back to what they used to be, but this was not really what she’d imagined. They had hardly even exchanged a glance at each other.
She admittedly felt insecure of how to act toward Cambreaker and she assumed that he must be experiencing something similar. However, even though she tried not to, she was beginning to feel rejected.

As Cambreaker suddenly starts to pass out orders, Minerva thinks that she’s beginning to see the old Cambreaker again. She had so many questions that had yet to be unanswered, but because of the possible incoming Decepticon threat, those would have to wait.
Minerva rushes to get into position to prepare the Ætherspite for a confrontation.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Although he had been prepared to serve drinks and had even mixed himself up an Energon martini, Blackjack was enthusiastic about following Cambreaker's orders once given. He was enthusiastic about coming into conflict with the Decepticon ship. He didn't say anything to his friend as he transformed, but he did give Cambreaker an enthusiastic glance. Blackjack immediately made his way towards the bridge and once there to the communications equipment he was assigned to man. He noticed Bombsight and Double Clutch were also onboard and was glad to see some of his old companions.

No sooner had Blackjack sat down and started familiarizing himself with the 'Spite's comms equipment, but the Decepticon ship attempted to hail them. It was almost as if Cambreaker had known they would attempt contact. He was a tactical genius sometimes. Blackjack prepared to allow the message through and steeled himself for an inevitable confrontation with Sixshot. He decided he'd better get his commander's orders before doing anything.

Cambreakah, they're tryin' to make contact. Should I let em through?

Onboard the small shuttle, Zarak waited for the message to reach the Autobots. He was himself once more but did not feel entirely himself. Something in the back of his mind kept telling him to ask about the Autobots named Rattrap and Dinobot. He was unsure of why, but it was the same strange feeling that had led him to search for Time Traveller in the first place.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

A Decepticon that wants to talk. This can't be good. Put him through, I'll handle this. Cambreaker says, sighing through his ventilators. He keys up the comms signal to the main screen, and gazes at it with a neutral and dispassionate expression.
And Blackjack... Record everything, and get any analyses you can on the transmission. The only thing I dislike more than a Decepticon is a Decepticon I don't know how much to dislike. Cambreaker continues, with a hint of irony. He finishes the statement in his own mind: Or a Decepticon who I have to murder Autobots to beat.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Blackjack nods and puts the signal through, readying himself for the sight of his nemesis. Instead, he finds only the flesh creature who spoke to Time Traveller when they were aboard the Nighteye. The bridge of their ship had been cleared of all other Decepticons and this made Blackjack wary. The flesh creature spoke.

Greetings, Autobots. My name is Lord Zarak. I know you are wary of Decepticons so let me get right to the point. I would like a word with two members of your crew. Their names are Rattrap and Dinobot. They can speak to me from there, that much is fine. I just have something...important to tell them.

Zarak struggled with the words. He had no idea what it was that he wanted to say to these two Autobots. Why were they even important? He'd feel much safer when they were away from this warship which could easily vaporize them. He'd asked Sixshot and the others to get the ship ready for a return to Earth when this was all over. He imagined that Scorponok must be getting fairly bored and now he finally had something for his collossal friend to do.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Greetings, Zarak, my name is Cambreaker, and as captain of this ship, it's me you're addressing. Before you go making an address to my crew, or calling for two of my trusted warriors to come out and play with you, you'll clear it through me.

Cambreaker initially brushes the gutsy human aside, but it begins to irk him how the human almost seems... possessed to make these bold demands and comments.

Perhaps you would like to take some time to consider your decisions... consider what things you must tell my crewbots before you do this. Perhaps you'll be feeling in a better state of mind?

Perhaps I'll be in a better state of mind...Cambreaker finishes to himself again. He hopes this ordeal will be over soon... all the others are watching him, himself feeling out of his mind, and he feels as though he will begin to leak coolant from his brow faceplates if he does not handle this quickly.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Another Autobot who was unlikely to listen to reason, the galaxy seemed to be full of them. The request was simple enough, but for some reason he could not simply answer it. What did he want to say to the Autobots? Why were these two of such particular importance? It was maddening. His thoughts were jumbled. More time to consider, yeees, perhaps that would be wise.

<Zarak, we have received a signature of another Decepticon vessel approaching us and the Autobot ship.>

Sixshot's warning could not have been more ill timed, Zarak replies quickly, <Can you get in touch with them, let them know who we are and what we're doing here.>

<They've just opened fire on the Autobots. I don't know who it is, but they must have some kind of death wish if they're going to take on that Autobot warship in their dinky little shuttle.>

Zarak nearly facepalms. Galvatron, it had to be Galvatron. Who else was stupid...no...insane enough to attempt this. He attempts to clear his thoughts and addresses the Autobot commander.

It seems we have a mutual problem, Cambreaker. Please allow me to deal with this idiot before he gets himself scrapped. I may be a Decpticon but I have standards. Watching your ship massacre a much smaller vessel, now where's the honor in that. I will consider my words to your crew and call again at a later time.

Zarak smiles, waits a moment for Cambreaker's reply and then opens a separate channel to Galvatron. The Decepticon frequency is not difficult to figure out. It is an older vessel, but easy to contact.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

The missile comes shrieking (if there were sound in space) in toward the Ætherspite. A single, ship to ship missile from a small, alien shuttle. Cambreaker nods to Double Clutch, who simply shoots the missile with a defensive turret. It explodes harmlessly in space. Cambreaker looks back to the view screen. Zarak is talking to someone on another counsel, looking back nervously and obviously a little agitated. Cambreaker notes that Zarak has muted his Skype microphone, but not the speakers.

I'm sorry, am I interrupting something? I didn't mean to crash your rendezvous... but since I'm here...

Cambreaker glances back to Dinobot and Double Clutch at the weapons terminals.

Blast that asteroid.

The Ætherspite's defensive turrets crackle to life and fire a full broadside on the asteroid the "short bus" is using for cover. The focused firepower shatters the rock to dust, exposing the yellow shuttle. The turrets take up tracking each shuttle, half of the batteries focused on each. Strangely unenthusiastic, Cambreaker turns to Zarak on the viewscreen again.

You will stay where you are, with your weapons and shields powered down. Blackjack, hail that other ship on Decepticon frequencies. Zarak, you've got about 10 astroseconds to warn them to power down before Blackjack does. Otherwise, they've got 10 astroseconds to do something stupid.

Cambreaker mutes his webcam mic.

Rattrap, get us in the best spot to engage both vessels. Minerva, who's on that yellow ship?

Cambreaker unmutes his mic to address the second ship's captain. A split screen shows Zarak next to a black background with only the word "connecting..." and a spinning wheel icon. He realizes how easily he slips into "Commander Cambreaker", and almost feels sick that his crew still trusts him so thoroughly. What if he were to order them to pulverize both shuttlecraft? A few megacycles ago, he probably would have. He hopes he does not have to today. As the possibilities play out in perfect choreography in his mind, he realizes he cannot be both decisive and merciful. He wishes his Autobots to see him neither as a murderer or a ditherer, but already feels himself to be both. He waits.
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

* suddenly the asteroid shatters into space dust and dirge gets a hailing frequency from the massive autobot warship

he answers the hailings and an image of zarak pops up on the screen and then dirge almost falls over as the other half of the screen reveals ... *

" CAMBREAKER ???????????????

youre supposed to be missing and Blackjack commanding in your absence
"

* dirge then gets an evil idea to sow discontent among the autobots *

" well cambreaker, since you now appear to be in command again ...

give thanks to minerva and blackjack for their assistance in restoring Galvatron to life
"
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Galvatron. He sensed the vicious Decepticon was yet alive, though he knows not how. He was probably on one or the other ship. Cambreaker's fuel filter turns at the thought of fighting the maniacal Decepticon leader again today... reliving the nightmare... who would he have to murder to defeat Galvatron this time? No. Not this time. He chuckles at the blue conehead.

I'm supposed to be missing? I didn't realize I'd left you a copy of my itinerary. I'll tell you what you're supposed to do, seeker. Power down all your ship systems. Stay right where you are. Since I'm in command again, I'm sure Blackjack and Minerva can tell me all about Galvatron's resurrection shuffle later.

Cambreaker keys in some ship orders that pop up on the screens of his crew.

Ready EMP charges in the railguns. These Decepticons are more useful intact than atomized. Zarak, Conehead, you two have about 100 astroseconds to explain exactly what's going on here before I fire all batteries.
Cambreaker glances to Minerva. Merciless or gutless. Today could not end well.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Galvatron walks up to the screen only to see Cambreaker's rusty face.
His jaw drops to the floor

NO! IT CAN'T BE!

All the attempts to destroy Cambreaker replay in Galvatron's mind.
Preperations A-H

NO! This one is not easy to kill. We must retreat and think of a better way to approach this situation! I didn't know Zarak was dealing with that blasted Autobot!Soundwave! Get us out of here!
Zarak! Get out of there! Meet us at Earth!!!
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Blackjack immediately hails the second Decepticon ship, not giving Zarak a chance, and Dirge appears on the screen. He still had a score to settle with the seeker but decided to hold his tongue and let Cambreaker do the talking. He relishes a few smug seconds while realization dawns on the seeker that the Autobot's commander had returned. Now both leaders were back and the sides were even. But who was this Zarak and why was he working alongside Sixshot? Blackjack sits and puzzles out these questions while Cambreaker 'negotiates' with the Decepticons. He does shudder when Dirge mentions his involvement in Galvatron's return and even moreso when Cambreaker mentions he will be demanding an explanation later.

Onboard his scout ship, Zarak frowns at the stupidity of the Decepticon seeker. Why would you want to threaten an opponent who had the ability to turn you into astro particles. He listens calmly to the conversations, calculating a next move. First Cambreaker's threats and then Galvatron's frantic retreat orders come through. He activates communication with the Autobot ship.

<Commander Cambreaker. I will tell you that my intentions were merely to meet with Time Traveller and then speak with your crew. I have taken no hostile action and you have no reason to regard me as a threat other than your warmongering hatred of the Decepticons. I am going to retreat to Earth as per my commander's orders. You can blow up out of space if you like, but from what I remember about Autobots, murdering helpless opponents was never part of your programming.>

He switches communications to the Decepticon ship before ordering Sixshot and the others to set them on course for Earth.

<As you command, Mighty Galvatron. We are on our way to Earth now.>
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker rests his brow on his fingertips, bristling with frustration. He again mutes the mic to command his ship.

Fire port railgun EMP at the conehead's shuttle. Fire starboard railgun at Zarak's shuttle. I've had enough of this.

Double clutch complies, sending the Electromagnetic Pulse shells hurtling through space for a split second until they are meters from their targets, where they burst. Both Skype windows go blank, indicating dropped calls.

Load and fire trackers at each ship, while their systems are down. Let them figure it out. I'm guessing they'll crawl back to Earth, but I can't imagine two ships that small will manage to recharge their circuits too quickly. Rattrap, set a course back to Cybertron, using two extra jumps for misdirection. Minerva, scan our hull for any... unwanted guests. I didn't see them fire anything, but we can never be too sure.

Cambreaker sits back down in his chair with a sigh. He mutters under his breath.

Helpless opponents, my aft. They'll wish they'd been helpless and murdered.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

As Cambreaker took charge of the situation he seemed to fall right back into his role as their leader. For a brief moment Minerva felt as if he’d never left.

During the entire confrontation Minerva had kept a watchful optic on the scanners while following the conversation between Cambreaker and the Decepticons.
Hearing Dirge thanking for helping them resurrect Galvatron did not come as a surprise to her, and even though Cambreaker appeared to see right through the conehead’s attempt to plant a seed of mistrust between the Autobots, Minerva couldn’t help but feel guilty and she didn’t look forward to explaining everything to Cambreaker. Although, when this was over she really did need to talk to him about what had happened, and she was hoping that he could provide her with some answers as well.

The scanners hadn’t picked up anything out of the ordinary, save from the presence of two human creatures, one on each ship. The rest if the energy signatures were consistent with Transformers. Relevant or not, Minerva passed on the information to Cambreaker.
Who were all these Decepticons and what did they want with Dinobot and Rattrap? Minerva glanced to Blackjack, who seemed puzzled as well.

There was definitely something very sinister about this human Zarak, and as the two Decepticon ships finally left for earth, Minerva was convinced that this was not the last time they’d see him or his henchmen.

The scan of the Ætherspite’s hull came back clean; no "unwanted guests", as Cambreaker had put it. Just to make sure, Minerva expands the scan area around the ship and runs it once again. Nothing.
All scans are clean, Minerva reports. She watches as Cambreaker slumps back into his commander’s chair while the Ætherspite prepares for the trip back to Cybertron.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

OOC [Watch me stimulate the RP by running away.]

Cambreaker slumps into his captain's chair, glad the ordeal was finally over, for the moment. Despite that the Decepticons numbered few and seemed disorganized, he felt his power and will to fight them was strained already. Time Traveller's mysterious and portentous words still irked him right down to the energon distributor. As Rattrap deftly handles the helm, taking them into the first misdirection warp, Cambreaker sees that all will be well. He nods in acknowledgment at Minerva's clean scan report. Could he really have come out of this situation on top so easily?

I need to re energize,
he states plainly. I'll be in my quarters if I am needed.

Leaving the bridge with all optics upon him, he walks to the turbolift before letting his posture slump with exhaustion. Transforming in the lift, he idles down the long hall to his quarters as soon as the doors reopen.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Once the crisis had been averted, Blackjack relaxes. He realizes that he'd been on edge the entire time, silently hoping the Decepticons would make a mistake. He'd been none too happy to see Dirge but also wondered why the Decepticons were using an unknown shuttle instead of the Maus. Everything that had happened in the last few cycles was very troubling. When Cambreaker gets up he knows that there is probably no better time to chat about the things he needs to explain. Rattrap has the helm and with so much of Cambreaker's original crew present they would have no problem navigating back to Cybertron, even from this place.

He stands up and without a word heads off of the bridge, following the loud, echoing footfalls of Cambreaker as he makes his way to his quarters. He waits at the turbolift and follow in Esprit mode. As Blackjack reaches the hallway where Cambreaker's quarters are located, he sees the door closing. He hadn't lost his edge at tracking anyway. He stops outside the door and raps gently, not wanting to intrude if Cambreaker truly wants to be alone, but also wanting to do for his friend what Cambreaker had once done for him aboard this very vessel.

Eh...Cammy...can I come in?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker flops down heavily upon his favorite chair, behind his broad, and strangely empty desk. No sooner does he cycle a long, cooling gust through his ventilators, but he hears a quiet tapping at his door. He only knew one door-tapper.

Blackjack, my friend.

He hits the door-open button on the desk. Looking to Blackjack with a weary, wry half-smile, he indicates his guest seating. He expects the worst for his faulty decisionmaking, but trusted that his friend would provide the most unbiased criticism.

Please, sit. What's on your mind?
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Blackjack enters when bidden. Unlike Cambreaker's quarters in Iacon, these quarters are the same as always and it is refreshing. Nothing ever changed on the 'Spite, no Decepticon could get the better of her, not even dinobots rampaging through the Energon bar had any effect on her. She was a testament to the survival of their kind.

Cambreaker is sitting at his desk, still the commander, but also the friend. Blackjack smiles and takes one of the welcoming seats in the room. He then answers the question.

You. I don't know how you do it, but Primus it's good to see ya. Those Decepticreeps were turnin' tail at just the sight of your face Cammy. I'm glad to have ya back, we all are, even if some of us aren't as good at showin' it just yet.

He had said it to give his friend hope, but it really wasn't what he wanted to say. Cambreaker had returned as their commander, but he didn't feel as strong as he'd once been. And something was eating at Blackjack, something he couldn't leave to rest.

But what I wanna know is why you did this? I don't havta to know where you was or what you was doin', but why did ya leave without sayin' goodbye? I think at the very least she deserved to know. I've got a lot to tell ya 'bout what's happened but I need to know why.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Cambreaker's smile melts away into a look of regret. He pushes two buttons on the desk, closing and bolting the door.

Blackjack, I don't know where to begin. I'm... sorry... We'll start with that. I'm sorry I had to do what I did. Beyond that, I'm really not sure of any of it, or anything here anymore.

Blackjack listens intently, relaxing slightly at the indication his friend might just spill the astro-beans yet. Cambreaker sighs and does his best to piece together a continuance to the discussion.

I had to go alone, foremost. It was not a negotiable point. And I know... I know I could not have gotten away alone if I had told you. Even if I could have convinced all of you to allow me to throw myself recklessly into the situation I was in, I would have been left questioning what I had to do.

Cambreaker sighs again, questioning what he had to do.

I'm sorry Blackjack. I've been gone a long time, about half of a vorn. I....
Have I failed our team already since my return? I already know I failed you by leaving.