Server Load Testing

Tell us what you think of our website and services! Ask any questions about forum operations. TFL Inventory updates are also posted here! If you have questions about an order, please reply to your order email.

Moderators: Time Traveller, trance

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Server Load Testing

Post by Time Traveller »

Trance (our dear owner/administrator) is interested in load-testing the Transformerland server for a little debugging. Due to the traffic pattern on TFL (very high load for some periods, then very low load during others), we have been experiencing some issues which crop up only occasionally.
We're looking to try to force this bug to crop up while the server operators are watching, by having as many people as we can all clicking lots of links to put a heavy load on the servers.
If you're interested and available to help out, let us know, and I'll get you details here when Trance and I can schedule something.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I've been getting a server error code all day. Luckily it hasn't occurred while posting. :evil:
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Hm. I'll let Trance know, but it would be helpful if you could post what sort of error you were getting!
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Skywarp wrote:I've been getting a server error code all day. Luckily it hasn't occurred while posting. :evil:
If it happens while posting, just use the back error and wait a few minutes, they typically last for 5 mins.

I think the server load is high due to some eBay auctions we are running, but I need to be certain by having a tech monitor the site while it's happening. I told TT to call me if he notices the site down, cause there's only a 5 minute window each time.

Probably means I need to upgrade service plans...again :(
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Only happened earlier today (repeatedly) and have had no problems since. Probably just high traffic volume. Tried to remember the exact numerical code but my memory fails me yet again. :cry:
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

500 internal server error (ISE)...outage pattern seems to match traffic, just need to confirm it before slamming down another $40/month to upgrade the server :)
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

trance wrote:
Skywarp wrote:I've been getting a server error code all day. Luckily it hasn't occurred while posting. :evil:
If it happens while posting, just use the back error and wait a few minutes, they typically last for 5 mins.

I think the server load is high due to some eBay auctions we are running, but I need to be certain by having a tech monitor the site while it's happening. I told TT to call me if he notices the site down, cause there's only a 5 minute window each time.

Probably means I need to upgrade service plans...again :(
Could be the ebay sales sending more traffic over plus if you have a lot of auctions ending near the same time people being sent to pay etc......

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Spread the word, the tech from TFL's hosting company has written:
I've removed the Apache RLimits that limit the amount of RAM, CPU, and the number of processes any specific account can use. These are notorious for causing 500 errors and are not needed on most dedicated servers. If, for any reason, you notice the server going slow or it seems that the load is unusually high, let us know and we will put the limits back in place. We will set them higher to keep the 500 errors at a minimum if necessary.
So, please post here (and tell others to post here) if they encounter an outage from this point forward. The outage will not show any TFL logo, just a plain white page with writing to the effect of 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR. Need to know if this has solved the issue once and for all or if we really do need to upgrade servers :P
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Any outages to report since Skywarp's post last week?
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Not a one for me! :D
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

nope

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

The server is working great! Whatever has happened since then seems to have worked. :wink:
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Just a question: How much a month do you pay for your webhosting, and how much disk space and bandwidth does it offer?
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Sideways wrote:Just a question: How much a month do you pay for your webhosting, and how much disk space and bandwidth does it offer?
It costs $179/month, and for all practical purposes, bandwidth and disk space is unlimited...it's just a matter of of the server using all its resources up when it's processing too many requests...we're kinda on the cusp of having to upgrade to a faster server, but we'll hold out for a little bit to see if this 'trick' worked...please keep me posted of any outages though...noting the type of error will help too. The big one we're trying to avoid is the 500 internal server error type.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Man.. That's really expensive.
Sideswipe89
Throttlebot

Post by Sideswipe89 »

havent had any problems so far of viewing the site. but ill be sure to let you guys know if there ever is a 500 error :D
"I don't break the rules, I bend them, alot" Sideswipe G1
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

I haven't had any problems either. :)