New TFL look

Tell us what you think of our website and services! Ask any questions about forum operations. TFL Inventory updates are also posted here! If you have questions about an order, please reply to your order email.

Moderators: Time Traveller, trance

Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

New TFL look

Post by Galvatron »

I've been on this site for over 8 years. The new look throws me off a bit. Can we have a "switch to classic view"? LOL
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

I actually second this. I understand that the primary purpose of this site is to provide an excellent store, but the large product bar being on the left is very distracting to me.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I actually kind of like it. However, I did notice it makes the default font size even smaller so when users highlight a piece of text (usually something they consider witty or clever) and change it to "tiny" or "small" it becomes virtually impossible to read without a magnifying glass. :P
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

OK, well I set the fonts back to how they were...is it any better now? as for the left navbar, there was one prior to the re-work (main navbar as well as the google ad tower)...the new one is more distracting?
other possibility - the 'other series' icons can default to closed (but that will re-hide TFL-North, which is what we were trying to promote int he first place) =)

I don't mind the honest feedback, I'll work on it until we get it right :)
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Well we definatly cannot hide TFL North. LOL

It's great to see your store expanding. Maybe if we put the bar back on the right side. When I read posts I have to scroll to the right. That's just one too many buttons I have to push. :wink:

BTW this size text works for me.

Can you read this Roadbuster?
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

I have a wide screen so it doesnt bother me :P

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Galvatron wrote:Well we definatly cannot hide TFL North. LOL

It's great to see your store expanding. Maybe if we put the bar back on the right side. When I read posts I have to scroll to the right. That's just one too many buttons I have to push. :wink:

BTW this size text works for me.

I can read it, I dont know about Roadbuster ;)

hey if you wanna IM with me, we can set up a time to get the layout right...I'd be interested to see how you see it and get feedback on how the different parameters affect your experience.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Galvatron wrote:
Yes! Thanks Trance! I do like the improvements though. The font was the only thing that kind of bugged me. :wink:
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Here's the thing Galvy:
If we put the navbar on the right hand side, people may have to scroll over to see it... and if they don't know they're supposed to be scrolling, they might miss it entirely! :P Part of why Trance and I have discussed the changes you're seeing are modeled on other major sites, and sidebars are on the left, since that's the first thing you see.
Maximize (or Terrorize, if you prefer) your forum window and you should be able to see the whole thing at once, without scrolling!
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

I still have to scroll to the left. Maybe I should get a wide screen monitor.

This new look will take some time for me to get used to it.
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Yeah, I like that the font is larger again for sure. I understand the reasoning with the bar on the side and that's fine. I'll just get used to it.

Thanks guys for being so willing to make changes for your loyal customers/members. It's what makes this place so great.
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

I do like the new layout, and agree that it's much more eye-grabbing for the store if someone is just Google-wandering through trying to find some info.

I just gonna throw out there, ever since the layout changed, I've had problems loading pages. Initially, nothing but the header would load ever, now it only happens every other page or so. I have to stop and refresh the page, sometimes multiple times, to get it to work. Is anyone else having this problem?

(Just for clarification, I have a brand new computer as of this summer, I have the latest version of Firefox, I've cleared my cache multiple times, and this doesn't happen for any other sites.)
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Redline wrote:I just gonna throw out there, ever since the layout changed, I've had problems loading pages. Initially, nothing but the header would load ever, now it only happens every other page or so. I have to stop and refresh the page, sometimes multiple times, to get it to work. Is anyone else having this problem?
Yeah, I tweaked something in the expandable menu, I just need someone to help me troubleshoot it since I can't replicate what you're seeing!

If anyone wants to help, let me know!

UPDATE: with Redline and tfshadowcon's help, I've been able to isolate and eliminate the issue (I think!). Please do let me know if you experience load issues after this post was made :)
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

the newest "new look" has my approval.
whoever designed it did a great job.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Galvatron wrote:the newest "new look" has my approval.
whoever designed it did a great job.
Thanks for the feedback...I was hoping you, specifically, would approve <G>
Still working out a few kinks, like the copyright footer at the bottom I can't seem to push outside the border inside the forums (though it works on the rest of the site).

The language used to build the layout is a bit finicky so if anyone is experiencing out-of-place menu items and the like, PM me or just post here...and it would help if you post your browser version and platform (e.g. Windows 7 Firefox 5.0, etc.)
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Loving the new look/layout chief! Subscribed to your new youtube channel too! Can't wait to see the toy hauls as you get them in! :wink:
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

I do like the new look, although I really didn't have a huge problem with the store bar on the right side. I do have one problem with the board that I've encountered (mostly because I go on long rants about things). I'm not sure if this is a result of the new layout, but whenever I write a post that extends beyond the length of the text box, my view gets scrolled up to the top of the post after every single character I type. It's very annoying and particularly makes roleplaying difficult. It also makes it so I can't select text without selecting the entire block of text I'm working on.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Blackjack wrote:I do like the new look, although I really didn't have a huge problem with the store bar on the right side. I do have one problem with the board that I've encountered (mostly because I go on long rants about things). I'm not sure if this is a result of the new layout, but whenever I write a post that extends beyond the length of the text box, my view gets scrolled up to the top of the post after every single character I type. It's very annoying and particularly makes roleplaying difficult. It also makes it so I can't select text without selecting the entire block of text I'm working on.
You're talking about when you reach the bottom right corner of the text box...the next character you type will go to the next line and a scroll bar will appear on the right side of the text box, correct?
Then does it start typing over text you already wrote? I'm having trouble visualizing the effect. Can you do a screen shot? Also, what browser, version, and platform do you use (e.g. Firefox 5.1, Windows 7)?
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I'm not a huge fan of the drop boxes for the archive and identify sections. The way they snap closed when you go off the line makes using my laptops or tablets touch pad/screen annoying.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

LD2062 wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the drop boxes for the archive and identify sections. The way they snap closed when you go off the line makes using my laptops or tablets touch pad/screen annoying.
i hear you. well it shouldnt be an issue for smartscreens, once you click a menu, the parent menu freezes. there may be a way to freeze on click so the parent doesnt disappear like that...would you like that solution?