New Non-TF, Yet Still Transformer Like or Robotic Purchases

Discuss any Non-Transformers toys you like (or don't!) here. MASK, GI Joe, Go-Bots, KOs, He-Man, or others.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

New Non-TF, Yet Still Transformer Like or Robotic Purchases

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Mods: Feel free to axe this thread, or sticky it per your whim. I just thought it'd be nice to have a Non-TF thread specifically for Transformer like items (i.e. The current sticky'd thread for "all things non-robot", and another thread for "all things robotic". Just seems to make sense to me.) If you want to move this into the other thread instead, go ahead.

Okay, let's start with some Orguss KO's that I picked up... I got suckered on these. I've purchased some of them before, and they're VERY chintzy plastic that feels like it wants to break whenever you move them. In fact, the first one I bought years ago snapped when I tried to transform it. Then I bought one a couple weeks ago that was actually die-cast, and much better quality (which I've since misplaced, and isn't pictured). So, I bought these two also, thinking (mistakenly) that they would be of higher quality too. Wrong. But they still look nice, and will work decently in my Robotech/Macross/Exosquad display.

The half-baked "tank" and "gerwalk" modes

Battroid and Flier modes
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Next up are the "Ballpen Robots" that most of us have seen before... but now we know they have a name! Byros!

Incidentally, I have the top half of the eraser guy, and always assumed they were related... now I know the reason I only have the top half is because the bottom half has been erased!

LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I've got a couple of those orguss ones too, the flimsy ones.

And a bunch or other macross-ish stuff:

I also like this Transformers inspired KOs:

A multichanger
http://s452.photobucket.com/albums/qq24 ... /6changer/

And mecha godzilla-ish grimlock:
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Next up, we have a brief lesson in what NOT to do when buying foreign Transformer-like products. I bought this guy, who initially looks VERY cool. He's made by Sonokong, the official Korean Takara licensee. So it's not quite a KO. If you speak Korean, you'd know that this is Leon Kaiser, from the "Brave of Gold Goldran" series.

A BreastMaster! Sweet!
Looks pretty sweet, eh?

Until you go to transform him, and realize...

WTF? He doesn't transform into a Lion? But instead, into bits and pieces to add-on to some other Godzilla-ish robot? Aaaargh! I guess the moral of this little photo-story is: Whilst shopping for foreign robots, always look for markings such as "STD" or "DX". If you see STD, avoid it like you would a disease.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

LD, you've gotta sell or trade me that Mecha-Godzilla Grimlockish one. I've been trying to find him forever. I'll hand carve a tail for him if I have to!
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Next up, we have what you get with a "DX" model from Sonokong. MUCH, MUCH better than buying an STD. (Cue the "Man, he paid money to get an STD! Jokes)

This is Death Garry Gun, once again from Brave of Gold Goldran. You might also recognize him as a repaint of the Japanese exclusive Sky Garry from the "Return of Convoy" series
He comes with 3 little car carrier type things, a micromaster, and two rubber decoy-like robots
Transforms into...
Some sort of Transport ship, that very superficially resembles a bird...
You can also push a button to release the cargo containers...
But FAR more importantly...
He's also a Micromaster Base! This will go well with the rest of the Micromaster City Display, once I get it set up.

All in all, this guy's an excellent purchase, at a fraction of the cost of a real Sky Garry. The quality on this (and the previously shown Leon Kaiser) is superb and on par with Takara's. With the possible exception of the plastic used for the accessories, which seems pretty soft or flimsy compared to G1 style. But that might be the way post-G1 Takara TFs came?
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Tune in tomorrow for the next installment, in which I'll answer such questions as:

1) What happens if Willy Wonka gets ahold of the blueprints for Omega Supreme, Go Lion, and Vehicle Voltron and decides to go into the toy making business (As Cappie already knows, it's a glorious site to behold!)

2) Does Banzai-Tron EVER vacuum his carpet?

3) Why is Banzai-Tron showing us a picture of what looks to be a Playstation?
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

LD, you've gotta sell or trade me that Mecha-Godzilla Grimlockish one. I've been trying to find him forever. I'll hand carve a tail for him if I have to!
Sorry I fear you're to late. Someone already purchased both the oriningal design KOs from me.

Although grimlock was missing more than a tail, also the other dino arm, and the dino feet chrome pieces on the other foot.

I'll give you a heads up if I get another or spot him on ebay.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

@ Banzai-Tron: Thank you so much for posting pics of Death Garry Gun! I have been considering purchasing him for a long while. And, you just helped me get to yes. I will order him next week!
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Out of curiousity, what's he going for? I paid $20 for him... suspecting that was a pretty good deal? I also paid $20 for the Leon Kaiser, which I'm not nearly as happy with... so I look at it as paying $30 for Death Garry Gun, and $10 for a reasonably spiffy, albeit non-transforming robot.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Compared to what you paid for him? Too much. He seems to be selling for around $100 on ebay. I have seen him for less... I just can't remember where now.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

If you're a fan of of Micromasters (which it looks like you are, from your handle and recent pic post), you really can't go wrong with Death Garry. Death (or Sky, of course) Garry is the only micromaster base that resembles a tower, so it's a huge boon to the overall Micromaster city feel.

It looks like there are recent re-issues of Death Garry available on evil-bay for a little bit under $50.00 shipped. They're still made by Sonokong, so I assume the quality is similar. Highendtfs (the guy that also produces the counterfeit TFs guide) also used to stock them for about $30-40, I think (his prices are REALLY good... I think he's more looking to help collectors, rather than actually make a bunch of money). You could try giving him an e-mail and seeing if he's going to be able to restock anytime soon.

Either way, in my opinion, you can't go wrong getting Death Garry for less than half the going rate of Sky Garry. If anything, he's HARDER to find, and I think has a better color scheme. And honestly? I don't think any of the Japanese exclusive TFs will appreciate in value too much, apart from the already heavy hitters, for various reasons I'd have to get into in another thread.
captainamerica
Gestalt Warrior

Post by captainamerica »

LD2062 wrote:

I'll give you a heads up if I get another or spot him on ebay.
I'd like to be 2nd on that list, please. I collect Mechagodzillas.
My heart is die-cast.
LD2062

Post by LD2062 »

No problem, I'll add you to the list.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

@ Banzai-Tron: After some google-fu I was able to find death garry gun (all one word?) for $30 plus shipping. Can't wait to add him to my Micro Iacon City.
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

You beat me to it! I was *just* going to mention that I noticed BBTS has him for that price. Judging from his other items, it looks like it'll be the recent (2007, I think) re-issue, but that really shouldn't matter, quality wise.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Yep, that is where I got him!
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

I am double posting, but what the hey.

Warbot Defender by Fansproject is on its way and I am stoked! Can't wait! Will post pics when it gets here, probably next week!