captain power

Discuss any Non-Transformers toys you like (or don't!) here. MASK, GI Joe, Go-Bots, KOs, He-Man, or others.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Yeah, the Zapper and Super Scope won't work - I don't see why a VHS tape won't work though.. If a LCD can play an NES, it should be able to show VHS.
Jakalair
Minispy

Post by Jakalair »

The trick with the Captain Power toys is that you had to both shoot things and dodge incoming fire. I know it is a different technology as the "light gun" games, which used a screen flicker that cannot be duplicated correctly on an lcd/plasma TV.

Therefor it might work. Someone would have to test it to see if it works. BTW thanks for the link for the DVDs I will have to order some in the near future just to re-watch the show and add it my obscure 80s cartoon collection, right next to Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

EDIT: the guys at http://captainpower.com say they have tested it and only CRT works. Glad I still have out around.
80stoyshop
Decoy

Post by 80stoyshop »

no one interested in my captain power toys then ?

im up for discussion
Banzai-Tron
Martial Arts Warrior

Post by Banzai-Tron »

Jakalair wrote:The trick with the Captain Power toys is that you had to both shoot things and dodge incoming fire. I know it is a different technology as the "light gun" games, which used a screen flicker that cannot be duplicated correctly on an lcd/plasma TV.
EDIT: the guys at http://captainpower.com say they have tested it and only CRT works. Glad I still have out around.
Actually, no, it's virtually identical technology. In essence, the old "light guns" DID NOT shoot at the CRT TV! Instead, they had a photo-diode receptor built into them that RECEIVED light. So, in the case of Captain Power, it was quite simple: If the enemy shot was received by the sensor(s), you were hit. If the particular light frequency eminating from the bad guy was received by the sensor(s), you hit them.

I can't remember if CP used Sequential Targets (i.e. "screen flicker") or not. As you mentioned in your edit, it's all moot anyhow. CP WILL NOT work with LCD/Plasma. It will work with significant issues and error on a projection screen TV. I am unsure on if it will work with LED, but again, I lean towards No.
Jakalair
Minispy

Post by Jakalair »

Banzai-Tron wrote: CP WILL NOT work with LCD/Plasma. It will work with significant issues and error on a projection screen TV. I am unsure on if it will work with LED, but again, I lean towards No.
Maybe they will end up where all other shooters have gone,the Wii!