Ataris, anyone?

Discuss any Non-Transformers toys you like (or don't!) here. MASK, GI Joe, Go-Bots, KOs, He-Man, or others.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Ataris, anyone?

Post by Jose »

After I moved to my current flat, and only after a year I could sort my toy room, I dusted off my old Atari 800 XL and got hooked back to those old fashion, more simple games. I am getting cartridges only. Anybody else plays older stuff that Playstation 3?
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I love old school gaming. I have and still currently play my nes, snes, virtual boy, n64, gamecube, turbo grafx 16, sega master system, sega genesis, sega dreamcast, and my old xbox. The 360 doesnt get as much play time as those do lol. I still have tons of games for each except the virtual boy. My atari went MIA a few years back and I have yet to locate another one.
R.I.P. Menasor
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

Are you kidding me? I've never touched a PS3. I did play a little on an X-Box 360 and a Wii, so same thing I guess. I used to play more N64, SNES, and SEGA genesis as well as thoroughly antiquated PC games. Always been more of a PC gamer than anything though.

I grew up playing Atari and didn't get another system (genesis) until about the time the Nintendo 64 came out. Got our first computer in 1995 and I'll never forget how advanced that seemed at the time.

Lately I've been getting more into newer systems like PS2, Dreamcast, and Gamecube and I've updated my PC to play some higher class stuff. Also I've found I rather like the Nintendo DS. But the bottom line is that they just don't make games, or systems for that matter, like they used to.
The Last Autobot
City Commander

Post by The Last Autobot »

I recently stumbled upon my old NES and a few games.

I used to have a SNES and it was ballin'. I had over 9000 games and there was a Mario game I played till it stopped working. I was a Mario fiend. Oh god, and Earthworm Jim. What a game. I loved that stuff, there was just....there were just so many awesome games I was obsessed with when I was little.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

I haven't played any video games for quite some time now. A while ago I bought a Wii, but since my brother borrowed it a few months ago, I haven't had access to that.
I've never owned an Atari, but back in the day I used to play NES games very often. Some of my favorite games were from the Mega Man series, Super Mario Bros. 1,2 and 3, Turtles II and Life Force. I had blisters on my thumbs more than once. :P
I'd have to say that I prefer console games to PC games, but I guess that's just because I'm more used to those.
Redline
Alternator

Post by Redline »

Ugh.

I have never even looked at the games for a PS3 or an Xbox360. I have played the Wii, but that's just different. I am a huge fan of all my classic games and have my collection of Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance SP, DS Light, N64, Game Cube, and PS2 games, as well as classic PC games that I collect at thrift shops and the like, and I am always on the lookout for other systems and games. I don't have a lot of time to play, but I wish I did. :(

Some of my very favorites are the Zelda series for any system, but I love RPG style adventures. I am really not impressed with much of the new stuff (since they're a lot of shooters and sports games, which I'm terrible at). I just hope they keep making stuff for the PS2 for a while! It is my favorite system (aside from my game boy) that I own.
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

woo retro gaming thread I love OG gamesthey are my fave :D just picked up some boxed snes and N64 games at markets yesterday :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Older games are the best. I still get great value out of them.
The only new games I still play Zelda series and GTA series.
Those 2 games alone have kept me buying consoles.

I only got a ps3 a year or so ago just to play GTA IV I have about two more games than that. There's a new GTA coming soon so I'll lose a few weeks on that. I was always a Nintendo kid back in the day I'll continue to play the Zelda Games I still haven't finished the last one. Trying to make it last cause there normally several years between releases.

My first PC LOL was a Commodore 64 with a tape deck. 15mins load time then CLICK and start all over again. And now I complain at 10 seconds for a web page to load. How things have changed.

Some of my Console Collection The NES is plugged into the Tv still getting used :D
But Hopefully this is Interesting.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Nice collection of systems! I see that's not a normal SNES you have there.

I have:

NES
SNES
Sega Genesis w/Sega CD addon
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo 64
Wii
Xbox - I got this broken, and had to replace the eye in the DVD Drive. Still doesn't work right.
Xbox360
Playstation 3

PSP
3DS

I don't have and have never owned a PS1. My old fat PS2 I gave to my girlfriend when I got my PS3 because the PS3 I have plays PS2 games.
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Thanks

My Snes is Australian Version so if your in US it would look different even the game carts where different than the US ones.
I guess the best way to put it it's a PAL system not NTFS

Yeah I've got 2 fat ps2 and a PINK lol slim
One Fat one is just one I raided for a new laser.
I run the Fat one with a HDD so I don't burn out any more lasers.

I've actually got 3 ps1 slims I never had a fat one
Most of the ps1 here where sold in Grey Boxes 2 of mine are those and that Black boxed one is unopened and never used. I've not seen man of them getting around.

I've also got a Original Black Fat psp and a slim Simpsons psp
Which are great fun when I go on holidays.

I don't really have a crazy amount of games though just keep ones I like to play.
Jose

Post by Jose »

Currently I have, besides my atari, a NES, Snes, genesis, Game Boy and PS1. The game boy is the system I use the most as I play during my travels to work. The PAL SNES looks great, but I prefer the NTSC US version. The reason: you just break 2 tabs on the cartridge slot and you can use Japanese games. They are much cheaper than US carts. I agree in overall with the old game statement.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Yeah the PAL version you can do similar mod too.
But involves destroying the top of your console as well cause our carts where smaller. And you need to make the hole bigger. There's adapters around as well. Opinions vary on how well they tend to work though. Never actually tried myself though.
I prefer to use soft mods but some of my machines have chips as well.

Cheap Games = Good Games :D

But you can't beat an original game ;)
Jose

Post by Jose »

Derek-Metalz wrote:(...)

But you can't beat an original game ;)
That's my main statement about old games. I often hear a "you can download it", but I believe that original games are like listening music on a Vynil LP.

Cartridges=LPs.
Emulators, ROMs=MP3.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Derek-Metalz
Targetmaster

Post by Derek-Metalz »

Jose wrote: Cartridges=LPs.
Emulators, ROMs=MP3.
Totally Agree with that.
I still like emulators MAME would be my personal favorite.
Cause I don't have room or the money to own all those cabinets.
But god damn I would love too :D
I do have plans one day of building myself a MAME cabinet.
Slowly getting the parts together.
If I could go to a location an insert money into these games i would but they are nowhere to be found these days.
I love Pinball too but even they are hard to find. Even when you go to one of the arcades they don't even have any. Just skill testers and the like.

I'm not really a fan of MP3's or ripped music though.
Not the killing the music industry thing.
Lets call it the morally grey area. There's plenty of bands I've discovered through downloads that I never would have know off if this technology didn't exist. Lots of times it's saved me money cause you listen to a few tracks and go Meh {DELETE}.
I always buy albums I like. I do use MP3's to make playlist and the like there good to be able to not be swapping stuff in and out all the time. But the quality even when ripping them at highest quality is garbage. I'm a musician not professionally but own and play several instruments. I hear more digital clicks and horrid sounds in these Mp3's than anything else and it frustrates me and takes away from the enjoyment. Nothing compares to a CD in a stereo cranked up to 11.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Can't relate to the retro-gamer love, but I did start out on the original NES system if that means anything? Since then I've owned a Sega Genesis, SNES, Sega Saturn, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2 and now a PS3...

The only systems I currently own, however, are a PS2 and a PS3. Here's my library of games:

Playstation 3:

Transformers: War for Cybertron
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Borderlands
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Madden NFL 2010
Mortal Kombat 9
Ninja Gaiden
Brutal Legend
Uncharted 2: Band of Thieves
Infamous
NBA: 2K12
UFC Undisputed
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Guitar Hero: Smash Hits
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Killzone 2

Playstation 2:

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Madden NFL: 2005
Getting Up (Case #1): Getting Up
Hitman 2
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Def Jam: Fight for NY
Soul Calibur III
Smackdown vs Raw 2008
Transformers: The Game (2007)
Transformes: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
God of War
God of War II
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
ESPN NBA 2K5
Resident Evil 4
Getting Up (Case #2): Bully
World Series Baseball: 2K3
Blockbuster Case: Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition
Diskette Case: Transformers Armada

Walkthroughs:

Transformers: War for Cybertron
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (NEEDED)
Mortal Kombat 9

LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

My ataris were broken and got pitched 2 moves back. My sega 32x and turbo graphics got sold at my last place. But I still have nes, snes, n64, psx, ps2 xbox, xbox 360, 2 ps3 (both working). As for portables I have gameboy, gameboy color, SP, DS, and Vita.

I'm not retro gamer. I keep all my games though. I have hundreds of games for all the old systems boxed up. Not really a portable gamer either. Most of the gameboys I bought just because I got a great deal. I haven't really cared about gameboy since the original pokemon. And I didn't care anymore by the time the second version came out. The vita playing basically console quality games did get me buy one. But I really only use it on trips so I only have like 3 games for it.

I don't have a gaming pc so I have very few pc games.

I'm all about current gen games. I have 20 for the 360 and 56 for the ps3's. Thats not counting the download stuff. Of which I have a bunch from playstation plus. (But I don't actually pay for much download stuff beside that.) I also got a 3D tv for the ps3. (Just recently though so it only cost like $50 more than a tv without it) Mine is passive 3D though so I can use the glasses you get at the movies. Its not something I use all the time, but its a fun feature to play games with. And I love being able to watch the 3D movies with the ps3.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Re: Ataris, anyone?

Post by Roar »

The last issue (July/August 2014) of Archaeology Magazine has a short article about the lost Atari dumping ground where literally thousands of the E.T. The Extra Terrestrial video games, as well as some other titles (Like Indiana Jones) and some hardware were rumored to be dumped. Teams of archaeologists found one of them and recovered items, some of which went to museums etc.

It was a rather interesting look at the unfortunate fall of the gaming goliath, and there was also talk in the article about a documentary being made about the rise and fall of Atari.