Any new toylines excite you?

Discuss any Non-Transformers toys you like (or don't!) here. MASK, GI Joe, Go-Bots, KOs, He-Man, or others.
figuremod73
Decoy

Any new toylines excite you?

Post by figuremod73 »

Havent visited in awhile so I thought I would drop in and say "hi".

So, is there anything coming out (or that is already out) that you are looking forward to?

Personally I prefer the old vintage stuff much more but I have started collecting Safari fantasy dragons. Thats about the coolest thing I can get into thats released now. I also like some of the new Mego-like toys.

I am looking forward to The Hobbit figures when they finally get released.

How about you?
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Not especially. This was supposed to be a big year for G.I. Joe toys but unfortunately Retaliation got pushed back to 2013 so it could be redone in 3-D. When those toys hit shelves I will once again become interested. What would REALLY make me sign my bank account over is a live action M.A.S.K movie with a 3 3/4" toyline and vehicles modeled after our current times.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

Personally I prefer the old vintage stuff much more but I have started collecting Safari fantasy dragons. Thats about the coolest thing I can get into thats released now. I also like some of the new Mego-like toys.
I collect dragons too. But I much prefer the McFarlane designs. I've already gotten just about every Mcafarlane design I like. Lately the only designs I like have been statues. I keep debating the skyrim dragon statue. But its a bit higher priced than I feel its worth.
figuremod73
Decoy

Post by figuremod73 »

Ironically the Joes that they released at the dollar stores are (imo) the best looking ones ive seen in a long time. Theres only six of them though. I dont know if theres going to be another wave of them.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

figuremod73 wrote:Ironically the Joes that they released at the dollar stores are (imo) the best looking ones ive seen in a long time. Theres only six of them though. I dont know if theres going to be another wave of them.
Yeah, I've seen 'em. Cobra Enemy looks nice but I already have a ton of those (blue cartoon accurate 25th Cobra Enemies, though) and Duke would make a good "green shirt grunt" type filler figure. Nothing really stands out from that wave as a must have figure. I'll pick 'em up, put 'em down, go back a few days later...wash and repeat. :lol: Still have yet to purchase one.
skywarp408

Post by skywarp408 »

I like the new tmnt classics and the giant sized Mezco Thundercats
PETER IS GOD!Image
figuremod73
Decoy

Post by figuremod73 »

I got the Cobra Commander yesterday. If they keep them stocked i'll probably end up getting them all. I think theres only six per case.

The dollar store is starting to carry The Corps vehicles now, i might end up getting a few of them to.

I can see if you've been collecting Joes for awhile they really wouldnt be any major differences.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

I never knew my life was incomplete until I discovered the Mezco 14" ThunderCats series! My first one is Lion-O.

I lasted literally less than an hour, couldn't take it anymore, and actually took this toy out of the box. :shock:

The regular Mumm-Ra, Lion-O, and Panthro figures are already out, I just got Lion-O, but there is also an SDCC special edition Lion-O that comes with an extra head in addition to the one that comes with the "regular" figure. It has that painted on stuff that glows in the dark on his eyes to simulate his "sight beyond sight" but I don't have him, yet. :roll:

I have to tell the truth in that the Lion-O and Panthro Mezco figures are more like plastic statues, there isn't a lot of articulation like with the Bandai 8 and 6 six inch figures, but these larger figures are a much different critter.

But......

for what they lack in articulation, they more than make up for in detail, which is great for display. The packaging is beautiful, and features the flagship ThunderCats Lion-O, Panthro, Cheetara and Tygra on all the boxes, and I assume that's the run of the first of the series.

Lion-O comes with an extremely accurate rendering of the extended Sword of Omens complete with the open Eye of Thundera and it also comes with a seperate, smaller version of the sword when it is in dagger form and the Eye is closed. In addition to those details, the left hand is detatchable so that you can pull it off, and replace it with the claw shield, which is also well rendered.

I would have really liked for the sword dagger to fit into the claw shield, but for $25.00 in Amazon, it was well worth the price.

Cheetara is set to be released in August, and she will have the most articulation of all the figures to date, with Tygra's release not set.

I'm hoping that there will be a release of the "new" ThunderCats Bengali, Pumyra, Lynx-O, and if nothing else, Wilykit and Wilykat. The kittens always seem to be overlooked in almost all the third party toy lines except for MiniMates, and it's a shame because the kittens are really cool characters.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

This is the first ive heard of the Mezco line. I was really dissapointed in the new cartoon run of figures. It stopped before the show did. I actually like the new cartoon too suprisingly, especially the elephants. "What is it you wanted again?" lol. The toy line was exciting. Maybe these Medco figures will be good. Im also looking forward to the FOC line of figures. That line along with WOC is really cool. I love the games.
R.I.P. Menasor
skywarp408

Post by skywarp408 »

I got those Mezco's 14 inch too and they are awesome. I wasn't aware they were coming out with a Cheetara figure untill now. Thanks for the info! I will be getting her.
PETER IS GOD!Image
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Currently the only new toy I look for is a classic: Lego.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Thanks for sharing! I hadn't heard of the Mezco figure line either. They do look really awesome. :)
I can't say I've been overly excited about any new toy series lately, but some of the recent MOTU Classics figures, such as Granamyr, have caught my eye. If anyone has one for sale, I'd be interested in buying it. ;)
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

skywarp408 wrote:I got those Mezco's 14 inch too and they are awesome. I wasn't aware they were coming out with a Cheetara figure untill now. Thanks for the info! I will be getting her.
I think that Cheetara's going to be the prettiest one to come out yet. Also, I was completely wrong about Cheetara's release date too :oops: , she's going to hit the shelves in late July. Sorry about that!

You can pre-order at Mezco now for $40.00, or wait for them to be at Toys R Us, Panthro is out right now.

Also, if you buy a Mezco Panthro, even though he has an extra hand that can grip his nun-chucks, you can't put both nunchucku in both his hands at once, The U shaped plastic holder that keeps the chain on the 'chucks will break if you try to force them.

There's still a tapestry of obscenity hanging over Rural Hall because I had to go buy another one. :roll:

If you like a little Lego flavor, these little guys are cool too, the ThunderCats classics MiniMates.

I lined them up in order of their release. The first package is the SDCC release where we get a Ghost Jaga, and that's never been done officially.

The detail is really phenomenal for how small they are, and come with a full compliment of their weapons and accessories both fully extended and retracted, and if that wasn't enough, each package comes with a little bonus mini mini figure like Snarf, the Wolfrat, and Ro-Bear Berbil Bill. Berbil Bill even comes with the little dagger he cut Lion-O's bonds with in the episode "Berbils". They're just so darn cute, even little Mumm-Ra looks so happy to be evil!
Jose

Post by Jose »

Those ThunderCats Minimates remind me of Kidrobot figurines, which are very cool too, but haven't had the urge to get all of them... I'm very tempted though.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

What kind of LEGO do you collect, Jose?
Jose

Post by Jose »

Sideways wrote:What kind of LEGO do you collect, Jose?
Not quite collect... It's more like hoarding materials to build random stuff. I am prone to pick up wheels and give shape to something, but lately I've been lured by the later Lego Architecture series. Pity they are too expensive. I have the NY Guggenheim model; I'm very fond of the Ville Savoye, but it's steep. So I have taken a strategy of getting the most common bricks and attempt something.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

That sounds like fun. I used to have a ton of LEGO back in the day. I could look through the old catalogs and pick out what I used to have. I have a big collection of Star Wars LEGO right now.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Not too long ago I got into the toy series Power Lords. I stumbled upon one of the action figures, and I found it both weird and really cool at the same time, which made it a 'must-get'!
A few months later, I've now got several of the figures, and I recently learned that the Four Horsemen Toy Design Studios are planning to release modern versions of some the figures, which I'm really looking forward to!
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Toylines I'm looking forward to... This is a tough one. Transformers has disappointed lately, and all my other old favorites are not planning any class reunions- M.A.S.K., GoBots, Rock Lords, Moto-Bots... I guess I'm looking forward to having new money to spend on old toys. :)
I'd love to continue work on Japanese Beast Wars, Robotech Robolinks (AKA Takara Blockmen), and maybe dig into EU and JP G1.

I am, however tentatively, looking forward to Generations Metroplex, and my TFCC Figure Subscription figures, if they ever come out.
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Re: Any new toylines excite you?

Post by Roar »

They are not exactly new, but I am really excited about Bandai's Power Rangers Legacy collection.

There are two Morphers, both constructed of die cast metal. The silver one comes with the Tyrannosaurus, Mastodon, Saber-Toothed Tiger, Triceratops, and Pterodactyl tribal power coins, each of those minted in metal and made to resemble aged bronze.

I would have liked to have the sixth "Tribal" coin with all five animal spirits on it together, but packaging, cost, interest....you can't have it all.

A button at the side pops the metal doors surrounding the coin open (vertically), and a red LED blinking display flashes as the instrumental of the MMPR theme plays.

The back of all styles of the Morphers are highly detailed, and give a loud shout out to the original Japanese show that Power Rangers came from KyoRyuSentai Zyuranger. The back does have a sticker for the colors red, yellow, blue, black and pink, but hard telling how much cost painting that small detail would have added to the original piece. All the Morphers also come with a holder that clips onto a belt.

The back of the Morpher has a button that presses and releases the metal coin you put in it, so they are all interchangeable. When the coin is installed in the Morphers, the sounds are muffled, but still, pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4IELllOvBA

The SDCC collaborated with Bandai to construct a limited edition Green/White ranger two pack with both the Dragonzord and Tigerzord coins. The Morpher itself, like the one that the original five wore, is made of die cast metal too, but the coins and metal elements of the Morpher are plated with 24K gold.

Only 1000 made. :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWKHt79H7qY

There is a standard version of the Green/White Ranger edition that I have. the coins are bronze like the original five Morpher, and the pop open doors are painted gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP_LDGnt9fU

The masterpiece so far, and I do not over-exaggerate, is the legacy Dragon Dagger. (or Zyosouken if you are a Burai/Zyuranger fan)

You want to talk about a beautiful toy that has the heft and looks of a real weapon, this is the one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOuRAN_jqLU

Like the SDCC Dragon/Tiger Morpher, the metal parts are 24K gold plated, and the best thing about it is that you didn't have to go to a comic con to buy it, all of them came with the gold treatment. When you press on the buttons of the dagger, each one makes a contact, swoosh, or clinking sound. When the mouthpiece of the flute is depressed in conjunction with pressing a button, depending on which you push-you get the summoning the Dragonzord tune, Dragonzord assemble, or the full vocal version of the MMPR theme song.

I don't know how Bandai is going to top this one, but I've heard rumors that they're going to make a talking Saba the Saber.

There are also other legacy items like a pack of small helmets for MMPR representing all the Rangers from the original series, a partially die cast version of both the Megazord, and Dragonzord, and a few other items, but the role-playing toys are really nicely made. With the rabbit out of the hat they pulled out with the Dragon Dagger, it makes me wonder what else they're going to make. :D