Tips on painting and repairs from the customizers

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

That was kup I think and thats in this thread also. He used roadbots to mkae some TF alike figures.
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

In order to heat them up and make them work better, you would probably have to have something to clamp the cup down to let the plastic cool at the right shape. Other than the tape idea im kinda stuck.
R.I.P. Menasor
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

Dinobot wrote:Hey kup, you've dealt with the roadbot stuff before. How does it hold up to customizing? I didnt know if taking them completely apart was a good idea or not.
well i do like the figures a lot, my hotrod and ratchet did came out sweet,
no problems with them whatsoever

if theres any question about one do ask , i've gotte the whole 1/32 line
The past is the greatest teacher
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Well, how does the size of the 1:32 scale stuff hold up to the rest of the alternators. I know the 1:18 stuff is enormous. I was thinking about making one of those landcruisers into a brawn alternator.
R.I.P. Menasor
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Alternators are 1:24 dinobot. Hope thats helps.
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

It does, I wish the roadbots could be the same scale.
R.I.P. Menasor
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

i think there 1/32 1/18 and 1/12

the 1/32's are the litlest and fully licensed so they look cherry in alt mode,
only some of them have a "weird" robot mode compared to traditional tf's
The past is the greatest teacher
Nightshade
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Nightshade »

It does, I wish the roadbots could be the same scale.

Thats why I asked about KO alternators, the size is something I am used to working with
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

But so far I think there are just grimlock KO's from the alts...

That armarda prime cab [non powrerlinx version] Is going to have a jungle camo scheme applied to it. Pics shall follow...
cotir2005
Powermaster

Post by cotir2005 »

thats amazing... are all TF collectors such good artists?

question: how can i tighten the joints on a few of my older TFs? they are loose a sloppy. is there a way to do this or do i just have to live with it?
Ultra Magnus
Big Daddy

Post by Ultra Magnus »

cotir2005 wrote:thats amazing... are all TF collectors such good artists?

question: how can i tighten the joints on a few of my older TFs? they are loose a sloppy. is there a way to do this or do i just have to live with it?
No, I am an especially crappy artist, but then again, my collection is rather small. Perhaps the more you get, the better you can paint? ;)

As for loose joints, there are many topics on this topic, my favorite is the following:

http://transformerland.com/forum/viewto ... ose+joints

My Search-fu is still superior! :D
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Me and abominus are warhammer veterans. (I.E small modles you buiold and apint yourself.) So that is where we get our painting skills from.
cotir2005
Powermaster

Post by cotir2005 »

well you are both very talented... i tried to paint a few DnD miniatures but they always turned out bad. the only collectables ive accomplised in painting well were a few Indiana Jones Replicas: The Holy Grail Cup and The headpiece to the Staff of Ra. They both turned out ok but they are pretty simple
Razorclaw
Predacon Commander
Location: Behind you, ready to chop your head with my sonic sword...

Post by Razorclaw »

cotir2005 wrote:well you are both very talented... i tried to paint a few DnD miniatures but they always turned out bad. the only collectables ive accomplised in painting well were a few Indiana Jones Replicas: The Holy Grail Cup and The headpiece to the Staff of Ra. They both turned out ok but they are pretty simple
Well,we obviously didn't know how to paint since our birth,do we?You just need a few tips.If you still have those Dnd miniatures and you want to retry i'll give you some to begin with. :wink:
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, To dungeons deep and caverns old. The pines were roaring on the height, The winds were moaning in the night, The fire was red, it flaming spread, The trees like torches blazed with light.
cotir2005
Powermaster

Post by cotir2005 »

i do have a few somewhere... im going to dig them out over break and try my hand at it again... its been a few years so maybe my hands have matured a little and ill be better at it
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

i think it looks rad. i wish I could do custom stuff. i got heaps of ideas but I dont know how to do this stuff :(

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Cliffjumper wrote:i think it looks rad. i wish I could do custom stuff. i got heaps of ideas but I dont know how to do this stuff :(

It just takes one time Cliffjumper. After your first one, which sometimes doesn't always turn out the best, you get the hang of it and then your skills improve. Asking people here how they do it and paint suggestions are good too. I did it.

And wow Des, that thing looks sweet!
R.I.P. Menasor
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Dinobot wrote:
Cliffjumper wrote:i think it looks rad. i wish I could do custom stuff. i got heaps of ideas but I dont know how to do this stuff :(

It just takes one time Cliffjumper. After your first one, which sometimes doesn't always turn out the best, you get the hang of it and then your skills improve. Asking people here how they do it and paint suggestions are good too. I did it.

And wow Des, that thing looks sweet!
I agree with you dinobot. Anyone can do a custom. You'll get better with each one you do. Also picking the right paints can be quite important.

Oh and thanks for all your comments. Currently I have the second seeker in peices being repainted. Just have to await my Dirge and skywarp fins so I can complete the set of three.

It helps that all the seeker parts share the same slots so you can mix and match the wings and tail peices.
Cliffjumper
Cybertronian Cowboy

Post by Cliffjumper »

Dinobot wrote: It just takes one time Cliffjumper. After your first one, which sometimes doesn't always turn out the best, you get the hang of it and then your skills improve. Asking people here how they do it and paint suggestions are good too. I did it.
Hmmmm I might ahve to have bash on a KO of some sort what sort of paints should I use and do I use a brush or do I need to get an airbrush kit? :D

"Look at Megatron. I'm gonna blast that smile off his faceplate".
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Cliffjumper wrote:
Dinobot wrote: It just takes one time Cliffjumper. After your first one, which sometimes doesn't always turn out the best, you get the hang of it and then your skills improve. Asking people here how they do it and paint suggestions are good too. I did it.
Hmmmm I might ahve to have bash on a KO of some sort what sort of paints should I use and do I use a brush or do I need to get an airbrush kit? :D
Go with your preference. I use brushes. Kup I think uses airbrushes. Again it depends on waht paint you are using.

But a Ko is a perfect starting point.