Tips on painting and repairs from the customizers

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Tips on painting and repairs from the customizers

Post by Sunstorm »

***Admin's note: These posts were taken from when all of our customizers shared one thread, instead of each having their own thread to showcase their works. Some references to the work of others have been left, as the congratulations were still sincere at the time, but this database was more helpful combined into its own thread, than separated into dozens of others***

nice work Kup! :D

I'm a beginner in the customising stakes.... which spray paints did you use? I'm still struggling to find something that gives me a nice even finish :?
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Spray model paints work well then I add some spray clear coating to finish it off. Thats how I do my alternators.
R.I.P. Menasor
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

I had to repaint the entirity of my G1 overkill and i used Games workshop paints and some spray varnish. (but GW paints are very expensive)
Sig currently not available:
Watch Dark Future animated:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/D4rkFuture?feature=mhee
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

Sunstorm wrote:nice work Kup! :D

I'm a beginner in the customising stakes.... which spray paints did you use? I'm still struggling to find something that gives me a nice even finish :?
i used revell model paint which I thinned and threw in my paintbrush gun,

the small parts are hand painted in two coats,

i also use tamiya paint

i'll post more pics when i find a straw of time to continiue the project
The past is the greatest teacher
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

Kup wrote: i used revell model paint which I thinned and threw in my paintbrush gun,

the small parts are hand painted in two coats,

i also use tamiya paint

i'll post more pics when i find a straw of time to continiue the project
Thanks Kup, much appreciated. BTW - where did you get the spray gun for the paints?
Sunstorm
Nuclear Nemesis

Post by Sunstorm »

I'm going to purchase a spray paint kit at the end of the month - I began customising an Armada Optimus some time ago and never finished him as I wasn't happy with the finish my paints and brushes were giving me.

The custom jobs on here are very inspiring (looking for KO grimmys like Des's so I can do an Alternator custom job... don't wanna ruin a real TF though :lol: ) and I'm really looking forward to contributing here. used to paint Warhammer 40k stuff as a teenager, so I'm sure I'll be able to re-summon some of those skills and apply them properly. I just need the right paints, brushes and spray kit.

BTW - if any can recommend any particular brand paints or brush/tool kits/sculpting materials, I'd be happy to listen :wink:
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

I admire you guy's patience for that stuff. I just started customizing. I'm starting on He-Mans 'cause they're cheap before I go and screw-up a TF. I use Testors Acryl and a lot of people use Sculpey. Kup told me he uses cellulose thinner and tamiya or revell or humbrol model paint -enamel based.
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

I just used some Games workshop citadel color as I had some here. I put a satin model varnish over the figure when i'm finished to seal it.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Does sealing limit the movability of the parts? Doesn't it gum up the nooks and cranny's?
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

Only if you use it incorrectly. I just use enough to protect the paint during transformation.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

You don't take your TF's apart to paint, right?
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

I'll only take them apart if theres a part I can't reach (same principles I use with my warhammer.) I only take them apart to spray them with an undercoat Mostly though i put tape over the clear parts and coat the other surfaces.. when dry I transform the figure. Sealing is essential with certain types of paint to prevent it rubbing off on your hands during transformation etc.

Taking the figures apart is a personal preference.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

This is a good place for this post. I just got Night Beat and one of the ball joints for his leg is sloppy. How can I tighten it up?
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

Hey kup, you've dealt with the roadbot stuff before. How does it hold up to customizing? I didnt know if taking them completely apart was a good idea or not.
R.I.P. Menasor
Nightshade
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Nightshade »

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find cheap alternator KO. Have been dying to try a little customizing myself using the 1/24 scale model cars as my different alt modes.
Deszaras
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Deszaras »

The only KO alt I've seen are on eprey. Look for the word SUPER on the box instead of TAKARA then only with grimlock KO's.
Nightshade
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Nightshade »

Thanks des, grimlock is actually the one I am looking for. I'm thinking 60's model mustang instead of modern. Figure its worth a try then I might start using other body styles
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

A real cheap fix for that ball joint is some scotch tape. Just cut a small amount so it doesnt hand out of the joint. You can cut more of if needed. I did that with my g1 grimlock to tighten his arms, and it doesnt harm the paint at all. If you wanted to go extreme, you could put a very small amount of superglue there, but I personally would not recommend it.
R.I.P. Menasor
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Image Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

Nightshade-you should look for Desaras' Chromedome. I think it's in this thread.

EDIT: the tape didn't work so well. :( Can't you heat them up somehow and bend them a little?
Last edited by Ramjet on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightshade
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Nightshade »

I saw it and it was nice, but i'm thinking of redoing the vehichle modes, not the characters. on another thread a while back(cant remember where or when) someone mentioned wishinf they had a muscle car line of TF and it got me to thinking, mabey I can do it mabey not but I want to try.