Rumble's Rebuilds

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

Rumble
Decepticon Demolitions Expert

Post by Rumble »

Ok, so here is the custom project that I have been working off and on for the last few months. At the moment it is about 85-90% complete, with most of the main features constructed. I am trying to capture one of my favorite scenes from the animated movie, hopefully you can tell which one. :wink:

He started out as a Classics Starscream which I dismantled then altered by increasing the size of his air scoops, the tips on his wings, and his fists. After that it was time to break out the paints and give him a more G1 movie accurate colour scheme. Once the paint was finished I moved onto constructing the crown (which was a nightmare considering the limited space between his air sccops) and painting it using stills from the film. I then repainted his head and face so that it matched the rest of his body and also covered any yellow from the crown. Then it was onto the cape which is a lovely piece of lavender 'Fab Foam' cut and shaped to fit.

Hope you enjoy and I will be sure to post more progress as it happens. Let me know if you have any questions...

Question for Abominus, What did you use for the gun post with Ratchet? Is it just left over plastic sprue?

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

I can't believe I thought Cassettes were the way of the future.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

that looks superb Rumble
defeneatly +1 on my list :wink:

did you dismantle the figure for painting? and how did it got paint? sprayed? by hand?

anyways great project en kudos, also liked the things you did with the fist and the reworked wingtips
The past is the greatest teacher
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Thank you Kup, glad you liked it.

Yeah I dismantled it to paint it, I always find it easier that way. As for the actual painting I started off by air-brushing it with an undercoat of grey but ended up having to hand paint the colours as I wasn't happy with the way the air-brush was working. Going to need to invest in a new one at some point I think. :(

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

allow me to say that i bow to your skills, i couldn't have done better, you clearly can see that you took a lot of dedication to build it, a skill i can apreciate

for the airbrush problem, i use a 10$ one only needed some fine tuning of the needles, you also could get some moddeling spray canisters, but that's just a tought

Kup
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

:shock: That starscream is awesome!!! That is true dedication. It was a great scene.
R.I.P. Menasor
Commander Megatron
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by Commander Megatron »

An absolutely excellent job!! He looks better than the MP SS!!!!
Razorclaw
Predacon Commander
Location: Behind you, ready to chop your head with my sonic sword...

Post by Razorclaw »

Rumble wrote: Question for Abominus, What did you use for the gun post with Ratchet? Is it just left over plastic sprue?
The green part was originally a cap from a bottle of hair paint.I made a plastic peg to fit the trailer hole and pierced the cap with it.Then i glued the gun (after shorting it's peg).I'll gladly help you need more tips.The gun post is almost impossible to find.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, To dungeons deep and caverns old. The pines were roaring on the height, The winds were moaning in the night, The fire was red, it flaming spread, The trees like torches blazed with light.
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Thanks Abominus, good use of ingenuity there I would never have thought of using a bottle cap. I have a Ratchet that is in need of some bits that I am considering completing, but it won't be for awhile.

Also thanks everyone for their kind words on my custom, I appreciate it! The stuff I used to make the crown Sunstorm (as you asked in your vanished post) is called 'Milliput', its a two-part epoxy putty that sets rockhard in 24 hours. It can be painted, sanded, drilled, filed and sawn if need be. I use it for all sorts of modding!

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Heres a small project that I started Saturday, and have just finished. I have always disliked the 3" Titanium Galvatron due to his 'Disco pose', so I decided to do something about it when I got a chance to get an extra one. First step was to chop his legs off (and a chunk out of my finger!) so that i could carve them up and re-position them with the help of pins. Next i filled in the gaps with some moddeling epoxy and let it set overnight. Then it was just a case of sanding it smooth and matching the shape of the 'real' legs. Heres some pics after I had done that comparing it to the original.
Once that was done it was onto paint which I decided should be Purple (not Pink?) and grey with a few details. Heres the Pics of him finished, again agaisnt the original.
All I need to do now is add a Decepticon badge to his chest.
Let me know what you think.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Piranacon
Undersea Warrior

Post by Piranacon »

the galvatron is nice rumble

Arcee
Fembot Fatale

Post by Arcee »

That's great, Rumble--looks way better than the original. Nice. :)
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Arcee wrote:That's great, Rumble--looks way better than the original. Nice. :)
I agree with Arcee; great! :)
Ramjet
Aerial Lord Of Destruction

Post by Ramjet »

Rumble: Yeah, he looks WAY better now!
Dinobot
Warrior With No Equal

Post by Dinobot »

I have to give rumble props on his work. Excellent stuff.
R.I.P. Menasor
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Thanks to all for the feedback, I am glad you liked my Galvatron.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Roar
Confused Triple Changer

Post by Roar »

Rumble this was your post, I messed up and deleted the little quoty marks. Sorry! :roll:

Heres a small project that I started Saturday, and have just finished. I have always disliked the 3" Titanium Galvatron due to his 'Disco pose'

What's wrong with disco? j/k :lol: Its the soundtrack of hedonism and free spirits! 8) :wink:

(Okay...Disco Duck was horrendous I'll give you that)

But seriously....

Rumble your updated Galvatron is absolutely beautiful! It looks so much better color corrected and standing taller. That pearl purple just sets the whole thing off perfectly.

Could you please tell me........

The epoxy that you used...is it a two part mixable or do you just directly dip out of the container, sculpt and then let it cure?

Also what is it called and where can you get it? That two part kneadable plumber's epoxy I use and the resultant dust from sanding it is going to be the death of me. (Its also ridiculously expensive)
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Roar, Its not that I dislike Disco... I just felt that the Decepticon leader needed to grow up and learn some resposiblities. :wink:

Now about the epoxy. The stuff I use is called 'Milliput' (Standard version), its a 2 part epoxy that once mixed and cured is rock solid. It can be painted, sanded, drilled, sawn and pretty much everything else that you might want to do with it (apart from eat it). It will set underwater and it is also heat resistant. I buy it from a place called 'Hobby Craft' and it sells for about £3.00 for a box. The box I am on has lasted a good few years lol. Its a UK made product however, so I am unsure if you will be able to get hold of it in the States.

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

Thanks for keeping us informed on your progress Des, I admire how you seem to be able to see so many projects through to completion.

Well I have been a bit quiet on the custom front lately, too much work not enough play so to speak. This hasn't stopped me 100% however, as I spent a few hours on saturday making this:

A nice new shiny sword for Supreme Starscream, made from a spare length of Aluminium I had sitting around. From tip to handle it is 8" long with a blade of 7". Slightly inspired by the 'Soul Reaver' from the Legacy Of Kain games, mainly as I like the wobbly blade. To complete it I just need to finish the handle and clear-coat it. (Lets see if I can finish this one :lol: )

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Rumble

Post by Rumble »

OK so I just finished one of my customs :shock: , however it was a recent one, not one thats been sitting on the bench for god knows how long :lol: . I give you Dirtboss, now in a paint scheme based on the truck I drive!

A few comparisons:

This is why I had to buy two of these figures...

Rumble.
R.I.P, Menasor.

Is +1 on Kups list.

'Cons Have More Fun
Kup
Autobot Security Chief

Post by Kup »

that's a great repaint there Rumble

:o