Transformers: Hellbound (FINISHED)

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

The Last Autobot wrote:
PrimeDirective wrote: Suddenly the pilot directly adjacent to the Decepticon chimed in, "That thing has no pilot!"

"No pilot?" cackled Starscream. "I'll show you the pilot!" Immediately, Starscream began to transform, flipping and smashing the adjacent fighter's wing, sending it into a fatal tailspin. The fighter began to descend toward a massive skyscraper, before exploding in midair.

Been watching a little NGSMOOV, have we?
Maybe. What of it?

Actually, I watched that a loooong time ago.

And thanks, Minerva!
The Dark is Coming
The Last Autobot
City Commander

Post by The Last Autobot »

PrimeDirective wrote:
The Last Autobot wrote:
PrimeDirective wrote: Suddenly the pilot directly adjacent to the Decepticon chimed in, "That thing has no pilot!"

"No pilot?" cackled Starscream. "I'll show you the pilot!" Immediately, Starscream began to transform, flipping and smashing the adjacent fighter's wing, sending it into a fatal tailspin. The fighter began to descend toward a massive skyscraper, before exploding in midair.

Been watching a little NGSMOOV, have we?
Maybe. What of it?

Actually, I watched that a loooong time ago.

Nothing, I'm just saying I noticed that line.

And thanks, Minerva!
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Chapter 14
Bumblebee and Prowl slowed, rounding a corner cautiously. Skyscrapers rose high up toward the sky, casting dark shadows over the empty streets. Emergency sirens wailed mournfully, warning civilians into shelter. The call had been given- take cover. And the people had responded, favorably.

Spike and Carly scanned the deserted street nervously.

“Bumblebee, keep your optics open,” Prowl said. “There's a Decepticon here somewhere.”

“Right,” Bumblebee said.

A roll of thunder shattered the silence. Carly's head jerked to her right. He stared out the window grimly.

“What is it?” Spike asked.

“I could've sworn I saw movement somewhere in that building,” Carly responded.

“Are you sure?” Prowl asked.

“Uh-huh,” Carly said.

“Bumblebee, can't you, like, sense it?” Spike asked.

“No. We're not born with any kind of sixth-sense,” Bumblebee said, continuing forward slowly.

They carried on in silence for a few minutes, listening to the crushing silence that had fallen across Los Angeles.

“I guess you're not going to need disguises after this,” Spike said. “The whole world will know about you.”

“Not really, Spike,” Bumblebee said.

“Even your primitive intelligence agencies will think of something to cover us up. It is an Autobot's duty to preserve a planet's normal order, and if word of our war gets out amongst your general populace, all hell would break loose. I don't mean to offend, but I've seen visual recordings of the riots that break out here, and they seem to occur for no reason sometimes,” Prowl explained.

“I guess they'll go with the usual terrorist excu-” Spike began.

Carly cut him off, pointing with her index finger. “Look, look!” she shouted.

Spike followed her gaze and felt his stomach rise into his throat. A massive, gaping hole had been blown into the outer wall of a building up ahead. A broken pipe spilled water onto the sidewalk, washing away the greasy evidence of tank-tread prints.

“That doesn't look too good,” Bumblebee commented.

“No, Bumblebee, it doesn't,” Prowl replied.

“Should I investigate?” Bumblebee asked.

“No. You heard Jazz. Our priority is finding Megatron, not taking out Wreckage,” Prowl said.

Bumblebee fell silent. A gust of wind blew down the street. Spike could feel the charged air flow inside Bumblebee as it entered his air conditioning system. The hairs on his arms and on the back of his neck perked up, and goosebumps erupted across his skin. He shivered.

Ahead, Spike saw a pavilion sandwiched between two skyscrapers in the gloom. Plastic tables shielded from the sky by fraying and sometimes torn umbrellas stood arranged in a grid, each surrounded by four similar chairs.

Several were overturned, or partially smashed.

Spike and Carly stared out the window as they approached the pavilion, eyeing every inch of the area. There was no other sign of the Decepticon.

Then the attack came. Wreckage burst through the wall of a building directly opposite the pavilion, scattering debris all across the sidewalk and the road. He was charging, leaning into the run, arms held out to his sides and bent forward at the elbows. The dual blades on his left arm were extended.

Prowl instantly transformed, swinging around a streetlight and launched himself feet-first at Wreckage.

Wreckage grunted, armor protesting as he toppled over under the force of Prowl's strike. Bumblebee skidded to the opposite sidewalk, letting Spike and Carly jump out, and transformed.

Wreckage climbed back to his feet, laughing to himself. “Isn't this fun?” he taunted.

Prowl dodged backward, narrowly dodging a blow from Wreckage's blades. The Decepticon came forward with his other arm, knocking Prowl sprawling onto the ground.

Prowl groaned, rolling himself over to find the Decepticon's massive foot crashing down toward him.

Bumblebee immediately latched himself into Wreckage's side, poised one arm to strike. The U-shaped appendages on the lower arm extended out and forward, and began to sizzle, crackling with electricity. Bumblebee jabbed as hard as he could. “No one does that to Prowl!” he shouted.

Wreckage cried out in alarm at the shock, stumbling to his side before knocking Bumblebee away. Bumblebee bounced a few times, rolling, and quickly got back onto his feet.

Wreckage grinned evilly, ignoring the small wound where Bumblebee's stinger had pierced the armor. The malevolent red glow in his optics seemed to stare right through the younger Autobot as he approached nonchalantly.

Prowl launched himself into the air, bringing his heel down hard on Wreckage's shoulder. The blow rang off of the Decepticon's armor and he spun quickly, knocking Prowl away.

The Autobot landed lightly, rebounding onto his feet and paired up with Bumblebee. Together, both Autobots charged forward, poised to attack.

Prowl left the ground elegantly, landing several glancing blows to Wreckage's upper body and torso. Bumblebee dove in low, striking at the Decepticon behemoth's legs. Wreckage stumbled precariously, then toppled over, slamming into the pavement, which cracked under the impact.

Wreckage cried out, faking anger, and then laughed. “You're sick, Wreckage,” Prowl scolded. “You're sick and you've always been sick and you always will be sick. You're not angry that you're losing; you're just enjoying the fight.”

“What if I do enjoy a good brawl every now and then? It's been ages since I've had a good one. I bet Megatron will feel the same way when he wakes up from his nap,” Wreckage sneered.

Prowl stepped back, horrified. “You- you've... found him?” he stuttered, pulling Bumblebee back.

“Yes!” Wreckage shouted triumphantly. “And I've sent his co-ordinates to Starscream. Once we finish with you and your little buddies, traitor, we'll get to him.”

“But Starscream hates Megatron!” Prowl retorted. “He'll just destroy the whole container, and Megatron with it, before he can be awakened.”

“That may be,” Wreckage said, “but it doesn't affect me in the slightest, as long as Starscream will still let me fight!”

“Why do you fight?” Bumblebee said, stepping forward. “What makes you like this? How can such a madness infect one of us?”

Wreckage shrugged. “I do it because it's fun,” he sneered. The launchers on his shoulders shifted upwards slightly, the main cannon rotated to his side and then swung forward like Blitzwing before him, and the mini-gun on his lower right arm extended from its resting place.

Bumblebee and Prowl turned and ran toward the pavilion, smashing aside tables and chairs. Bumblebee snatched Carly around the torso, and Prowl grabbed Spike, both without stopping, and cradled them tenderly as they dove into the alley behind it, scrambling into cover behind the towering skyscraper on the right side of the pavilion.

Just as they pulled themselves into cover, missiles exploded above them and to the left, shattering glass and sending small chunks of concrete cascading down onto the ground. The two Autobots crouched over the frightened humans, shielding them from the debris.

Spike and Carly laid, terrified, on their hands and knees. In the glare from the explosion, Carly's hand passed over the cracked and eroded cement pathway and latched onto the back of Spike's, her fingers lacing between his. He looked into her eyes, and she into his, but Bumblebee and Prowl were already rising, jumping back into the fight.

Wreckage charged forward, smashing tables and chairs beneath his feet. Bumblebee and Prowl ducked to opposite sides of the Decepticon as he barreled through the pavilion.

Prowl lunged at the Decepticon as he slowed, striking the exact same spot multiple times before retreating. Bumblebee nodded and a small cannon was manifested from his right hand.

The small yellow Autobot dodged around the Decepticon as he turned back toward Prowl, and loosed a bolt of plasma from the cannon, scoring a direct hit on the same spot. Wreckage stumbled forward, grunting with the pain, and turned back to face Bumblebee.

Bumblebee dove to the side, narrowly avoiding a shell from the Decepticon's main cannon.

Prowl leapt into the air, launching himself forward, and delivering a kick to the back of Wreckage's head. Wreckage's arms flailed as he toppled over, crushing several more tables. He simply picked himself back up and turned toward the Autobots.

Bumblebee turned to Prowl. “How do you hurt a guy who likes to be hurt?”

“Like this,” Prowl said, launching himself head-first at Wreckage's knees. Prowl collided with the Decepticon with a loud crash, and the Decepticon wavered momentarily, before his knees buckled and he fell onto his back.

Prowl pounced on the downed foe, landing blow after blow after furious blow to Wreckage's face. Wreckage grunted with each strike. Finally, Prowl stopped, took a step back, and looked down at his hands, which were now coated in a thin layer of oil, which he also saw was leaking through the Decepticon's armor.

Wreckage laughed weakly. “Guess you're not as Autobot as you thought,” he said, coughing up more oil.

Prowl glared at the Decepticon. “Listen, you. I don't kill innocent creatures. I don't do destroy things for fun. I'm nothing like you,” he hissed.

Wreckage groaned, pulling himself up, the dents in his face now evident. His armor groaned in protest. “If you say so. But when you fight, you fight like a 'con.”

Prowl growled, then roared in frustration. He clenched his fists, letting them fall to his sides. He turned away from the Decepticon, staring off into space, at the cotton blanket of clouds above.

Wreckage laughed to himself. “Giving up already, are we?”, he taunted, hearing an ambulance siren fast-approaching, “Maybe I'll just have to deal with your little yellow protege here and his squishy friends.”

Enraged, Prowl roared, flipping backwards into the air and landing on Wreckage's back. “DON'T YOU EVER, EVER THREATEN BUMBLEBEE OR THE HUMANS!” With that, Prowl unholstered a black rifle from his back, and fired a shot into Wreckage's shoulder.

The Decepticon cried out in pain, but Prowl was merciless, ripping off one of Wreckage's four-barrel launchers from his shoulder and kicking off his main cannon with a forceful swipe of his foot, before firing another shot into the Decepticon's chest.

The oil leaking from Wreckage's armor burst into flame, casting a malevolent glow on both his and Prowl's exoskeletal armor. Prowl's face was full of rage as he fired another shot into the Decepticon's torso. More oil poured from the wounds, further fueling the fire that spread quickly, burning up the shallower areas.

Wreckage reached up at Prowl feebly. Prowl kicked at the Decepticon's hands, leaving deep dents in them. Wreckage let out a weak groan as Prowl dropped from his back. The Decepticon relaxed, letting his joints and armor shift into more natural positions.

This relaxation didn't last long, as Prowl jabbed the barrel of his rifle into Wreckage's back. “Like I said,” Prowl said, hate seething throughout his voice, “I don't kill innocents.” He fired a single shot, which echoed throughout the pavilion.

The round grazed the Decepticon's spark, severing wires and nodes and shattering metal. The pulsing of the glowing blue object slowed, then stopped, and the Decepticon's optics dimmed and he collapsed limply to the ground.

Prowl backed away, and turned to Bumblebee. The younger Autobot's mouth hung slightly open, a look of near-horror upon his face.

Prowl looked down at himself again, seeing the evil red glow of the fire behind him. He felt his chest sink. He staggered to a wall and leaned on it, one arm pressed firmly against it above his head. His thumb and index finger clutched at the bridge of his nose. “No...” he whispered.

“Prowl,” Bumblebee said, coming forward. “It's okay. You did what had to be done. You saved my life. You saved their lives.” He pointed to Spike and Carly, emerging from their hiding spot behind the skyscraper.

Not looking up, Prowl said, “It wasn't the Autobot way. It's not what Prime would've done.”

Bumblebee fell silent for a moment. Then: “But we're not all Prime, and we can't all be. Optimus has the Matrix, and we all know that it contains the combined wisdom of every Prime before. Optimus Prime once told me that the only thing that can conquer hatred is true wisdom, and it would take a lot of wisdom to conquer all of the rage you feel.”

Prowl looked over at Bumblebee. He nodded. “I suppose you're right.” He smiled. “Thanks, Bumblebee. You are growing a little wiser, yourself.”

Bumblebee smiled back.

Jazz screeched around the corner, leaving black skid marks behind on the pavement. Ironhide, Ratchet, and Warpath followed suit. Jazz transformed, gliding nimbly amongst the scattered tables and chairs. Ratchet followed, stepping over the toppled surfaces. Ironhide and Warpath brought up the rear, crushing plastic beneath their feet.

“Woah. I see ya got the sitch covered down here, Prowl,” Jazz said. “Ratchet, lay down a little retardant on those flames, will ya?”

Ratchet nodded his head and stepped toward the flames. He raised one arm forward, and a small plate rose from his wrist, beneath which were two short barrels. From the barrels issued a fine white powdery chemical, which instantly quenched the fire and dried the leaked oil.

“Jazz, we need to move fast. Before he... uh, offlined, Wreckage told me he found Megatron's container and had transmitted the coordinates to Starscream,” Prowl said.

“Chill, bot, Starscream isn't gonna just let Megatron take back control,” Jazz replied.

“No, but he'll be on his way here any second. We need to get out of the area before he arrives.”

“I agree. This area's already suffered enough damage,” Ratchet said.

Hearing a faint roar in the distance, Carly glanced upward. She tugged on Spike's sleeve. “Spike, look,” she said, pointing at a tiny sparkle high above, just under the clouds.

“Speak o' the devil,” Ironhide grunted.

“And the devil shall appear!” Starscream crowed, descending rapidly. He transformed, landing hard and cracking the concrete floor of the pavilion.

The Autobots scattered, avoiding Starscream's machine gun fire. Spike and Carly dove back into cover, narrowly dodging several rounds, which tore into the bricks of the building on the opposite side of the alley.

Bumblebee turned and fired a bolt of plasma at Starscream. The Decepticon Air Commander dodged the blast and responded with another round of fire. Bumblebee ducked and rolled behind the building.

Jazz shot through the air, firing several shots at Starscream, who swatted the smaller Autobot out of the air. Jazz crashed into a cluster of table, smashing them.

Ratchet's lower arm converted into a blaster, and he and Ironhide charged forward, ducking around Starscream's fire, and fired several shots into his armor. The rattling of Ratchet's rapid-fire weapon filled the air, echoing off of the buildings. The blasts of Ironhide's shotgun weapon interspersed the cacophony of Ratchet's weapon.

Starscream felt himself lurch forward with each hit Ironhide landed. He turned, growling. “You forget who you're dealing with, geezer! Taste null ray!”

Starscream lifted an arm, and fired a glowing beam from the thin barrel on his arm. The beam struck Ironhide's left arm, doing no damage.

Ironhide laughed. “That the best you got?” Then he tried to move his arm. “What the-” The cannon fell off, clanking to the ground.

Starscream laughed sarcastically. “Yes, it is.”

Ironhide grabbed his arm with his good hand, and easily bent it at the elbow. He pulled, and it rotated as normal at the shoulder.

“Ironhide, Ironhide, Ironhide...” Starscream taunted, shaking his head disappointedly. “I thought you were made of sterner stuff. The null ray cancels out any free electrons in range of its impact zone. A direct hit to the spark is surely fatal.”

Prowl charged, slamming into Starscream's back and sending the Decepticon tumbling forward. “Blasted hunk of slag!”

Starscream rolled when he hit the ground, knocking Prowl away. “How dare you?” he hissed.

Prowl leapt over Starscream, firing several shots from his rifle at Starscream. Most of the bullets simply ricocheted off of his armor. “I'm just a little bit tougher than the average Decepticon, I'm sure you'll find,” Starscream taunted.

Warpath charged forward, tackling Starscream. Starscream scoffed at the Autobot, slipping out from beneath him.

Ironhide fell back from the battlefield, followed by Ratchet. Once out of the way, Ironhide knelt down and Ratchet hunched down over his comrade's arm. “I cannot believe you did not realize the null ray's impact, Ironhide,” he joked. He turned and made sure Starscream was properly occupied before converting a finger on his non-weapon hand into small probe.

“Nothing serious,” he explained, retracting the probe. From the wrist, a pentagonal plate extended out. Beneath it was a dual-barrel identical to the chemical-sprayer on his opposite arm. From this, a transparent distortion emitted, enveloping Ironhide's paralyzed arm. “A little EMP should active your backup systems and get your arm back up to one hundred percent.”

“Good,” Ironhide grumbled.

Ratchet stood and turned back to face the battle. He fired several rounds at Starscream, who was distracted by Prowl. Ironhide raised his good, shotgun arm and fired a shell at Starscream, knocking him forward. Warpath fired a shell from his chest cannon, sending Starscream crashing into a building on the opposite side of the alley.

Starscream climbed back to his feet, dusted himself off- and froze. His head turned toward the humans, cowering behind Bumblebee.

Bumblebee stood staunch between his friends and the much larger Decepticon.

“Stand aside, Autobot, and I may spare you,” Starscream said, approaching slowly.

“No,” Bumblebee said. “You won't get to Spike and Carly without going through me, first!”

“You say that like it'll be hard!” Starscream laughed.

Prowl came flying in, crashing into Starscream's side and sending the Decepticon smashing into the building. Debris cascaded down around him, covering most of his body.

The Autobots breathed a sigh of relief and began to converge on the buried body of Starscream.

“I wouldn't do that if I were you,” Ironhide warned, keeping his distance. “He ain't-”

Starscream burst from the rubble, firing rounds rapidly from his machine gun arm. The Autobots retreated, diving into cover. Jazz transformed, bursting from his hiding spot and ramming Starscream's legs. Starscream kicked Jazz away.

Jazz transformed, rolling, and caught himself. He dove in beneath Starscream, leapt up onto his shoulder, and struck the Decepticon in the face. Starscream clawed at Jazz, grabbing his ankle and tossing him across the battlefield.

Bumblebee ran forward and leapt onto Starscream's back, covering the Decepticon's optics with his hands. “Get off me you pest!” Starscream shouted, grabbing at Bumblebee. The small yellow Autobot kicked at Starscream's clawing hands, avoiding them.

Bumblebee leapt off of Starscream's back as Prowl charged forward, spinning and landing a kick to the side of the Decepticon's face. Starscream stumbled backward, clutching his face.

Prowl followed up, leaping over Starscream's hunched form and bringing his elbow down hard on Starscream's back.

Starscream swiped at Prowl, knocking the Autobot away. Prowl grunted as he hit the ground, but was immediately back on his feet.

Ironhide charged, arm now fully functional, launching a volley of missiles at Starscream. Starscream dropped to the ground, diving beneath the barrage. The boosters on his back let out a shock wave that knocked Ironhide and Prowl away.

Starscream stood, glancing around at the Autobots, who were slowly pulling themselves together. “Any minute now,” he muttered, nervously.

He jumped into the air and transformed, shooting around the corner back onto the main street, flying low, only a few meters above ground-level. Windows shattered as he passed, first weakened by the heat and then broken by the shock wave produced by the engines.

“Come on, Autobots!” Jazz commanded, “Tail him!” Jazz transformed, racing after Starscream. The other Autobots followed suit, Bumblebee allowing Spike and Carly to climb inside, before taking off after his comrades.

“Spike, are you ready?” he asked.

Spike nodded hesitantly, shaking. “Yeah.”

“And if he's not, I am,” Carly said.

Optimus Prime stepped away from the bodies of the fallen pair of Decepticons in front of him. He turned, and climbed slowly, somberly, to the top of the overpass above him.

A military blockade was in place, further up the bridge, preventing traffic from entering Los Angeles. Men in black suits waved cars onto another route, redirecting them to nearby cities. One turned to Optimus, raised his weapon, and then saw the Autobot symbol on his shoulder, and nodded respectfully, lowering his weapon.

Optimus nodded back.

In the distance, towering skyscrapers reached up toward the cotton blanket of clouds enshrouding the city. Plumes of smoke rose slowly, meandering toward the grayish-white sky. Disaster response sirens wailed mournfully, barely audible above the city's own emergency sirens. A small group of Raptors circled above the city; Prime had no doubt that Starscream had already destroyed a significant number of them.

A flashing red light on his lower left arm caught his attention. He tapped a part of his armor, activating his communicator.

A hologram of Roller appeared from the light. He was typing rapidly on Teletraan's console. "Yes, Roller? Prime here."

"Optimus, the two Decepticons here have been taken offline, but Starscream's come down, and he's going after Megatron," Roller said frantically. In the background, Optimus could hear Chip shouting something.

"Then Starscream will do our work for us. I will dispatch the Aerialbots to take care of him if he remains on this planet," Optimus replied.

Roller's tone turned grim. "That's not the bad part. Tele- Teletraan-1 and I..."

"Yes, Roller, what is it?"

"Teletraan-1 and I calculate a ninety-five percent likelihood that Megatron's containment will fail within the next ten minutes."

Prime fell silent for a moment. His chest felt heavy. "I understand. Prime out." The hologram disappeared, and Optimus looked back up to the city.

In the back of Prime's mind, he could still hear Megatron's words echoing. "You can't defeat me, Prime!"

Then, determinedly, Optimus said, "Megatron must be stopped... no matter the cost." With these words, Optimus Prime transformed and began down the overpass toward the city of Los Angeles. Toward Megatron.
The Dark is Coming
Jazz
City Commander

Post by Jazz »

Note to self- Don't EVER, EVER THREATEN BUMBLEBEE OR THE HUMANS! :lol: Nice job man.
Jazz- Sub Commander, special ops leader, all around awesome bot.
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Thanks, man. I see probably two more chapters; one really long one and one that probably won't be very long, and then the epilogue, and then it's done.

It's amazing how quickly stuff like this goes by.
The Dark is Coming
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Great chapter! Keep up the good work! :)
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Thanks, Minerva!

Haha, did anyone else hear "The Touch" playing in their minds reading that last part? :lol:
The Dark is Coming
Jazz
City Commander

Post by Jazz »

Yes, I also heard the voices in my head tell me to kill you.
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Chapter 15
Starscream roared low, hugging the ground, shooting past buildings and signs as he rushed toward Megatron's container. He transformed, landing lightly on the street and looked around, his spark pulsing rapidly. He twiddled his fingers nervously, eyes darting around, taking in his surroundings. “They're not here yet,” he muttered hurriedly.

He transformed again, shooting away around a corner just as Jazz and the Autobots raced onto the scene.

“Come on, 'bots, we almost got him!” Jazz said.

“Can you guys keep him away long enough?” Spike asked.

“Spike, I don't think we'll have to worry about that. Screamer might just do our work for us,” Jazz replied.

“BANG, I think we'll have to wait and, CRASH, see!” Warpath said.

The Autobots sped around the corner Starscream had gone around moments earlier, losing no momentum as they gained distance. Starscream transformed once again and landed in an open intersection, empty aside from an abandoned semi-truck.

The Autobots screeched to a halt, and transformed, Bumblebee stopping at an angle away from Starscream and opening his passenger door. Spike and Carly scrambled out and hurried to take cover just inside an empty building, climbing through the shattered window.

Starscream grabbed a lamppost bent over his shoulder with both hands and ripped it away, tossing it aside casually. He turned to face the line of Autobots facing him. He rolled his neck, annoyed, and then addressed them.

“And yet you pursue me all this way for nothing? Surely you realize that we have come pursuing the same goal? And, as if that were not enough, you insects dare to interrupt my coronation?”

“We will chase you to the ends of the universe,” Bumblebee said, stepping forward.

“We will pursue you to Unicron's maw, simply because you, Starscream, are a treacherous Decepticon,” Prowl growled, stepping up behind Bumblebee.

Suddenly, the semi-truck's trailer groaned. Starscream's eyes widened and he turned to face it. “No...” he whispered.

A massive dent was thrust outward from the trailer, which cracked slightly, and deformed under the pressure, letting out a metallic squeal. Another distortion appeared. And another. Finally, the trailer was disintegrated by an explosion, sending a cloud of smoke and dust billowing outwards.

The Autobots recoiled in fear. Carly gasped from her hiding spot.

The light breeze silently dissolved the dark gray cloud, and Megatron stepped down off of the remains of the trailer and out of the debris, cracking and stretching his joints. His silver armor shimmered in the cloud-filtered light. “Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy.”

Starscream bowed low. “L- Lord Megatron, it is a great pleasure to see that you still function, and to bare witness to your magnificent... comeback.”

Megatron swatted Starscream aside. “Don't call it a comeback; I've been here for years.”

“Of course, of course, mighty Megatron,” Starscream said, climbing back to his feet. “I will happily... relinquish command of the Decepticons to you.” The Decepticon smiled facetiously.

Angered, Megatron grabbed Starscream by the neck and lifted him bodily from the ground. “Relinquish command? Don't flatter yourself. All you possess to relinquish is your coward spark, Starscream.”

“Of course, I didn't mean it like that, sir,” Starscream gasped, clutching at Megatron's fingers.

“No, of course not,” Megatron mocked, dropping Starscream, who collapsed to the ground again. “You are not even worthy to be considered a temporary substitute for me. Now, tell me, where is my army? Surely you brought the entirety of the Decepticon legions to level this city in search of me...”

Starscream hoisted himself onto his hands and knees. “I only brought a small force, consisting of Triggerhappy, Ransack, Wreckage, and Blitzwing, and your pet Soundwave tagged along.”

Megatron lifted his foot and placed it firmly on Starscream's back. Starscream looked pleadingly, innocently back at Megatron, but the Decepticon leader pressed, forcing Starscream back to the ground. “Either you're lying or you're stupid. Which is it?”

Starscream beat the ground with one hand. “I'm stupid, I'm stupid!”

The corners of Megatron's mouth curled slightly upward in an evil grin. He lightened the pressure to Starscream's back, allowing the Decepticon to crawl out from beneath his foot. “Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?” Megatron turned to face the group of Autobots before him, as Starscream clambered to his feet and dusted himself off.

“I see Optimus Prime has gathered his best warriors. This must be why Starscream has failed here.” Megatron folded his hands behind his back and began to pace back and forth in front of the Autobots. “However, it remains true that we are at war, correct? And, as we are on opposite sides, it is only natural that we wage our battle wherever and whenever the opportunity presents itself. So if one of you will step forward to challenge me, I will gladly oblige.” Megatron stopped, glaring coldly at the Autobots.

Suddenly, Starscream transformed and shot off down the street. Megatron sighed and rolled his optics. “Such cowardice.”

“Ironhide, Ratchet, Warpath, Bumblebee, you 'bots go on after Starscream. Prowl and I will handle things here,” Jazz commanded.

Prowl shook his head. “No, Jazz. You go with them. You're the only one fast enough to catch Starscream. I want Bumblebee to take the humans to safety.”

“But Prowl, you can't defeat Megatron on your own!” Jazz said.

“Maybe. But I'm the only one who stands a chance of stalling him until Optimus arrives. If any Autobots other than myself die in battle today, I will be unable to forgive myself. Besides, I have something personal to take care of here, and I must do it alone.”

Ironhide, Ratchet, and Warpath had already transformed and sped off after the cowardly Decepticon Air Commander.

Jazz hesitated.

“Go!” Prowl shouted.

Jazz sighed sadly. “It's been an honor, Prowl.” With that, he transformed and joined the pursuit, zooming off down the street behind Megatron.

Prowl turned to Bumblebee. “Bumblebee, get the humans to safety.” Bumblebee nodded, and, as Prowl turned away, slipped inside the shattered storefront with Spike and Carly.

“Ah, Prowl,” Megatron said. “It's been far too long. How is the War going for the Autobots?”

Prowl said, nothing only glaring at Megatron, mouth curled into a snarl.

“Not well, I see,” Megatron continued. He paused, and then, as if the thought had just occurred to him: “I'm in a very good mood today, Prowl, seeing as I've finally drawn my 'Get Out of Jail Free' card, so I'll offer you a choice. Drop your weapon, surrender, and denounce Optimus Prime as your leader, and I may let allow you to live on, albeit with much of your memory erased and your combat capabilities severely limited as my servant, or fight and suffer an agonizing death.”

Prowl took a staunch step forward. “Optimus Prime and the Autobots have defied you for millennia, and I am one of them. Can I, then, do less?”

“So be it, traitor,” Megatron spat. The Decepticon leader pounced forward, snarling at Prowl as he sailed through the air with a deadly, perverse grace.

Prowl sprung backwards, dodging Megatron's attack, and countered with a roundhouse kick, which Megatron blocked easily, holding up his arm and absorbing the blow.

Prowl dove backwards too late, as Megatron's blade-tipped fingers snaked around his lower leg, digging at his armor, and tossed the smaller Autobot across the intersection. Prowl bounced a few times, rolling, before coming to a full stop.

Megatron leaped after his foe like a massive predator, swooping down on his from above. Prowl kicked himself to his feet, striking Megatron in the chest and sending the Decepticon leader toppling backwards.

Prowl followed up, launching himself forward, striking with both fists at Megatron's chest. Megatron swatted Prowl away, recomposing himself. Prowl landed on his hands and sprung himself into the air, flipping and landing lightly on his feet. He charged forward, sliding between Megatron's feet and swung up onto the Decepticon's back.

Megatron immediately grabbed Prowl's leg and flung him onto the remains of the trailer. Prowl leapt to his feet, launching himself into the air and spinning laterally, falling toward Megatron and battering the Decepticon leader's head with a barrage of fists.

Megatron kneed Prowl in the torso as he fell, knocking the Autobot back. “Metallikato,” he growled. “Very impressive.”

Prowl climbed back to his feet. Megatron charged, sliding the massive black cannon on his arm up toward his shoulder and out of the way, before backhanding Prowl, slamming him into a brick wall.

Prowl groaned as he fell back to the ground, landing on one knee. Megatron stepped forward, offering his hand. “This is your final chance, Prowl.”

Prowl remained silent and still for a moment, thinking deeply, concentrating. “Never,” he hissed.

Megatron, enraged, lifted his arm, and Prowl dodged right, avoiding the downswing. Prowl and Megatron circled each other, analyzing and strategizing. Prowl leapt forward as Megatron followed through with a punch, swinging himself up onto Megatron's arm and kicking him in the face.

Megatron spat a tooth, and flung Prowl from his arm. The Autobot landed lightly and was on the move again, soaring above Megatron and diving at the Decepticon leader's back. Megatron spun quickly, catching Prowl in surprise, and easily knocked the him away.

Prowl grunted as he hit the ground, but climbed back to his feet. He charged at Megatron again, and then lunged at his knee, swinging around and knocking it out from under him. Megatron collapsed, producing a shock wave that rattled the ground. Prowl launched himself at Megatron, but Megatron's foot caught him in the chest, redirecting his momentum and sending him flying backwards.

Prowl landed on his back and was quickly set upon by the Decepticon leader. “But apparently not impressive enough, old friend,” Megatron taunted. “If Optimus Prime could not defeat me fifteen thousand years ago, what makes you think that you can now?” Megatron grabbed Prowl by the neck and slung him into a building, shattering windows and sending rubble rolling down to the ground. Prowl collapsed to the ground with the debris.

Megatron approached quickly and lifted his foot, preparing to smash Prowl's spark chamber, but Prowl quickly rolled away, avoiding Megatron's foot. He spun, landing a roundhouse to Megatron's upper leg. Megatron growled, turning and swiping at the smaller Autobot, who jumped back, dodging the blow.

"Optimus, according to my scans, Prowl has engaged Megatron in one-on-one combat," Roller's grim voice came across the radio.

Optimus Prime rumbled down an alleyway, smashing through boxes and empty trash cans, scattering debris across the narrow cemented path. "I copy, Roller," he replied.

"Hold on, Prowl. I'm coming," he prayed gravely.

Megatron lunged forward, swiping again at Prowl, blades slashing at Prowl's already-scratched Decepticon insignia. Prowl recoiled in pain, tucking his arms in and rolling backwards, away from Megatron.

Megatron laughed and kicked Prowl toward the storefront in which Bumblebee and the humans were crouched, hiding. Prowl glanced over, seeing Bumblebee poorly concealing himself. His eyes widened. "I told you to get out of here," he whispered angrily.

Megatron lunged across the street, sending the truck cab speeding down the street toward Prowl, who leaped over it, flipped, and brought the back of his heel down hard on the back of Megatron's head.

Megatron roared in pain for the first time, grabbed Prowl's ankle, and flung him into a building on the opposite side of the street, hearing a muffled, "No!"

Surprised, Megatron turned toward the source of the sound. Sighting Bumblebee and his two human charges, he grinned evilly. The cannon on his shoulder slid back into position on his forearm and locked in place. He aimed directly at Bumblebee's head, and fired.

A white and blue body seemingly warped in front of the blast, blocking it. Prowl grimaced, feeling the searing energy tear at his back. Bumblebee, shocked, stared into his mentor and friend's optics. Carly and Spike gasped in horror.

Prowl clattered limply to the ground, helpless. Megatron stepped forward, chuckling to himself. "And so it ends," he said, grabbing Prowl around the shoulder and neck with one hand and leg with the other, "with both a whimper and a bang." With that, he pulled out, and Prowl screamed in agony, utter agony that tore into Bumblebee's optics like daggers, as his leg and much of his lower torso was ripped from his body and dropped, clanking to the ground. Megatron dropped the rest of Prowl, satisfied.

"You monster!" Bumblebee screamed, lunging from the storefront. His hand converted immediately into a plasma blaster, and fired several shots at Megatron, each missing in the yellow Autobot's blind rush of emotions.

"Bumblebee, no!" Spike shouted, climbing after his friend.

Carly's eyes welled over, spilling frigid tears onto her cheeks.

Megatron laughed victoriously as he grabbed Bumblebee, hoisting him bodily into the air, one hand clenched around his chest and the other around his waist.

The sky seemed to darken as Megatron paused before his victory, savoring the moment. Spike fell to his knees on the sidewalk, mouth hanging open in despair.

Then a hole in the clouds opened up, and a voice commanded, "PUT HIM DOWN, MEGATRON!"

Spike turned toward the sound, and his hair stood up on end and he fell to his knees in awe at the sight before him. Optimus Prime swerved out of an alley and rolled forward heroically, the sunlight shining through the clouds casting a brilliant golden glow on him, like the gods of old. This last of Earth's hope screeched to a halt and transformed, pieces shifting and rotating and swiveling.

Prime stood at the ready, holding one fist ahead the other. His mouthplate quickly extended, covering the more vulnerable portion of his face.

Megatron tossed Bumblebee aside, allowing the small yellow Autobot to crawl to his fallen comrade.

And then Megatron smiled. "Ah, Optimus Prime. How good of you to join us. I was beginning to think you weren't coming." He frowned. "After all, fifteen thousand year is a very long time to wait." He transformed into his fighter form, shooting toward Optimus.

Optimus braced himself, holding his hands out at the ready, and, as Megatron transformed back into his true form, caught him. His armor groaned and protested, and his entire body screamed at him from the effort, but a split-second after catching Megatron, redirected his momentum and sent him sailing into a building, mirroring their first battle, all those thousands of years before.

Megatron growled, pulling himself from the rubble, and charged forward. Prime sidestepped, punching Megatron in the back of the head. Megatron spun and kicked low, knocking Prime off of his feet. Optimus rolled, avoiding a kick, and then swept around, bowling Megatron over as well.

Optimus leapt to his feet and kicked Megatron in the torso. The Decepticon leader reacted quickly, grabbing Optimus's legs and swinging him over into the already-damaged wall. Prime caught himself with his hands and jerked his legs out of Megatron's grip.

Megatron lunged at him, tackling him, and they both fell to the ground, rolling over and over each other. Prime kneed Megatron's face, breaking the circle, and rolled back and climbed to his feet.

Megatron transformed again, launching himself at Prime, who ducked beneath the wicked nose of Megatron's fighter form and then latched himself to it. Off-balance, Megatron rolled through the air, screaming, and then Prime let himself fall. Megatron crashed into a building and fell to the ground, groaning.

Optimus jumped into the air, bringing his foot down hard on Megatron's chest. Megatron bellowed and grabbed Optimus's foot, tossing him across the street. Optimus grunted as he hit the ground, and picked himself back up.

Megatron was already on his feet, lunging at Optimus and butting him in the torso. Optimus responded with a knee to Megatron's face, knocking the Decepticon leader back.

Recoiling, Megatron asked, "Why must you so doggedly pursue me? Allow me to have my way with this single world, and our War will end, and our own world we be brought back to greatness." He held up a clenched fist dramatically

"What do you mean?" Prime interrogated.

"Don't you understand, Prime? When you sent me through that spacebridge, there was a reason I ended up here," Megatron hissed.

"Continue."

"The Creation Matrix," Megatron said temptingly. "It's here. When I went through the spacebridge, it resonated with the Creation Matrix here, locking my coordinates."

Prime's eyes widened. "That must be why Warpath..." he muttered to himself.

"Continuing our War on this world will only end in its destruction, and it's population's subjugation, along with many deaths among our own comrades."

"Megatron, if the Autobots simply allowed you to do what you wished with this planet, that would all come to pass regardless."

“Then I see there is no reasoning with you,” Megatron snarled.

“There has never been any reasoning with you, Megatron,” Prime retorted.

Megatron charged, barreling down on Optimus with an animosity shared only by the two rivals. Optimus leaned forward, bracing himself for the impact and raised his fist. Megatron tackled Optimus, sending them both tumbling backwards, and Optimus punched Megatron squarely in the chest.

Megatron recoiled, pulling away from Optimus, allowing the Autobot leader to deliver a kick to his side, sending him flailing to the ground. Megatron rolled, hopping back up to his feet, and rushed forward, leaping into the air, and kicked, striking Optimus in the face.

Optimus flew backwards with the force of the kick, bounced once, and skidded to a stop. He groaned, clambering back to his feet to see Megatron charging his cannon.

Prime stood still, waiting for the blast of energy to fire his way. A malevolent purple glow began to shine from the cannon's mouth, bathing the immediate area in its light.

Finally, the blast rocketed out of the black cannon, crackling and incinerating any hypothetical obstacle in its path. Optimus dove to his left, barely avoiding the blast, which exploded behind him. Optimus responded, unholstering his own Ion Cannon and firing a shot into Megatron's chest.

Megatron fell backwards, bellowing in pain and frustation. Prime charged forward, reholstering his weapon. Megatron caught Prime in the chest with both of his feet, knocking him backwards.

Megatron turned and ripped a lamppost from the sidewalk, and hurled it at Optimus. Optimus grunted as it pierced the armor on the side of his torso, and tore it from the wound. He snapped it in half over his knee, and rushed at Megatron, slamming one half of the post into the side of the Decepticon leader's head, and the other into his chest.

Megatron growled as he fell backwards. He rolled, avoiding another blow from Optimus Prime's makeshift weapons, and kicked his enemy's feet out from under him. Prime clattered to the ground, catching himself with his hands, and then cried out as Megatron brought down his elbow to Prime's back.

Optimus collapsed beneath the force of Megatron's blow, and Megatron pounced, rooting himself firmly around Optimus Prime and striking blow after blow after blow, with Optimus grunting near-helplessly with each one.

The thumping of a helicopter, previously concealed by the sounds of battle, attracted Megatron's attention. He stood, leaving Prime motionless on the ground, and turned, watching the vehicle approach.

“Such nonsense,” he said contemptuously, raising his cannon and preparing to fire.

A door on the chopper slid open, and G. B. Blackrock appeared from it, supporting a large weapon on his shoulder. “Smile, you son of a bitch!” he shouted, firing a shell from the weapon.

Megatron watched the shell approach, feigning fear. The shell exploded against his chest, and he felt himself tumble backwards, tripping over Optimus Prime's now rising form, and could feel each of his limbs jerking. “Electromag- bzrrrt- netic weapo- bllllzt- nry?” he stuttered, twitching.

Optimus Prime solemnly hefted Megatron's body above his head, and tossed him down the street. Megatron roared as he hit the ground and bounced several times before stopping.

Prime was already on him again, kicking him in the torso, the chest, the face...

Finally, Megatron regained control of himself, and rolled, knocking Prime to the ground again.

Optimus shouted, landing on his shoulder, and rolled, dodging a kick from Megatron.

Prime stood, but was quickly knocked back to the ground by an enormous weight on his chest. “You and your Autobots will all die,” Megatron snarled, swiping at Prime's face.

Prime grasped at Megatron's chin, pushing the Decepticon leader away.

Bumblebee crouched over Prowl, staring mournfully into his optics. Prowl lay unmoving on his back. Spike and Carly stood side-by-side next to him. Spike had his arm around her, comforting her.

"Ratchet, we need you," Bumblebee said over the communications frequency. "Prowl's gone down. He needs help immediately."

"We are already on our way," Ratchet replied.

"Starscream turned tail and ran pretty quickly," Ironhide added.

"Ratchet out," Ratchet said.

"Bumblebee," Prowl rasped.

Bumblebee leaned closer. "Yes, Prowl?"

"I cannot describe the pride I feel here. You were brave taking on Megatron like that. But it was stupid. You could've died," Prowl scolded.

"Sorry, Prowl," Bumblebee said. "But look at you. You took on Megatron alone, and now you're dying."

Prowl smiled weakly. "I never hoped to live through it."

Blackrock's helicopter touched down nearby, and he hopped out. The pilot immediately took off again, and was soon hidden behind the tall buildings.

Blackrock walked over, slowly. "How is it? Is it dying?"

Carly glared at him. "Prowl isn't an 'it'. Prowl is a living being. They all are."

"I- I'm sorry," he stammered. "Maybe I can help." He held up a small gray rectangular prism. "This battery-"

Bumblebee held up a hand. "It's not enough. Only our sparks can generate enough power without exploding," he said, not looking away from his mentor.

Prime forced Megatron off of him, and flung him across the street into a building. Megatron grunted as he hit, and collapsed to the ground. Enraged, he hoisted himself to his feet and charged at Optimus, sending him flying backwards to the ground.

Carly and Spike looked at each other, then at Bumblebee. All three nodded.

Bumblebee rushed forward first, sliding behind Megatron and firing several bursts of Plasma into his back. He spun around, grabbing at the nimble young scout, who dodged his advances and smashed through a window into a building, out of reach of the much larger Megatron.

Carly ran up behind him. "Hey!" she shouted. The Decepticon leader ignored her, grasping at Bumblebee, knocking over tables and chairs, pulling himself inside slowly.

Frustrated, she let her hands fall to her side. One brushed against her purse. "Did- did you just tase them?" she heard Spike's question echo from time long past, even though it had only been a few days.

He smirked, pulled her taser from her purse, and approached Megatron silently. She raised the weapon, thinking to herself, "I hope this works," and fired. The two electrodes brushed Megatron's armor, delivering a jolt of electricity to his system.

His leg jerked upward, ripping the electrodes away from the wires. She heard him slam into the ceiling of the building before pulling himself out. He shook his head dizzily, and then, regaining his bearings, fixed his attention on her.

"Insolent insect!" he shouted. Carly glimpsed Spike toss the targeting device onto Megatron's back. She took a step back as Megatron spun to face the other human.

"You will both pay for your interference!" he declared. Suddenly, he was lifted bodily from the ground.

Prime grunted under the strain, but strength flowed through his body as his circuitry began to glow blue as before. He lifted Megatron above his head and tossed him down the street.

The remaining Raptors at last made their appearance, diving down below the tops of the skyscrapers and firing several volleys of missiles.

Megatron's eyes widened and he leaped to his feet. He reached out, grabbing one of the missiles in his hands, and spun, redirecting it at another missile, but more exploded all around him. Blast after blast tore into his armor, knocking him backwards with unavoidable shock waves. He flailed his arms, trying to block the blasts, but the force of the multiple explosions sent him sailing backwards through the air. Shining brightly and brilliantly, the explosions slowly faded, leaving a cloud of smoke.

Spike and Carly cheered as Megatron hit the ground, bounced, bounced again, hit, and skidded to a stop. He groaned weakly as the smoke cleared.

A massive gun butted his face. "Give me one good reason not to," Ironhide growled menacingly. Optimus also pointed his weapon at Megatron's face. Next to him stood Warpath, and then Jazz.

Now with the drive to survive rather than to fight, Megatron's adrenal circuits kicked in. In one smooth motion, he swatted the Autobots away and transformed into his fighter form. The roar of his thrusters drowned out all other sound for a moment as he retreated, and soon, he was out of sight.

The Autobots walked over to their downed comrade, who was being tended to by Ratchet.

"Is he... gonna make it?" Jazz asked.

Ratchet somberly looked up at the others. Bumblebee and the humans hung back a few meters. Ratchet shook his head.

Prowl coughed violently, spilling oil everywhere. Bumblebee moaned forlornly, burying his face into his hands. Spike felt his chest fall as if a large weight had been thrust upon him, and he felt like he was going to throw up. Carly sobbed silently, holding herself.

Prime's head dropped to his chest. "I'm sorry, friend."

"No, Prime," Prowl rasped weakly. "I'm sorry. I just wasn't good enough to stop him. But promise me this, Optimus Prime." Optimus leaned in closely. "You promise me that Megatron will pay for his crimes. I've made up for mine. I can die happy now. Promise you'll kill him before he can get back to Cybertron." Prowl shuddered, coughed up more oil. Much of his body gave off sparks.

"Prowl, man, you gotta hold on just a little longer," Jazz pleaded.

Ironhide turned away, staring somberly into space. Warpath remained silent.

"Jazz," Prowl said, now barely managing a whisper, "you know I can't do..." Prowl's body fell limp. His head rested on the pavement. His hand slipped off of his chest and clattered to the ground. The light in his optics faded. The sparks died.

Bumblebee now shook with grief. Carly couldn't help but sob loudly. Spike turned to her and put his arms around her. He clenched his teeth together, barley holding himself together. Bumblebee whined despairingly, still holding his face in his hands.

"Prowl..." Prime said lowly, "you were a great warrior, possessed unquestionable honor, and were a credit to our race."

Optimus turned to face the hole in the clouds, which had now spread to encompass much of the sky, through which the sun dipped toward the western horizon. "Where is the nearest significant source of energy?" he asked the humans.

Blackrock stepped forward awkwardly. "The Yee dam, just north of here."

"Megatron... I'm coming for you," Prime almost growled, clenching his fists. He transformed, and proceeded north.
The Dark is Coming
Jazz
City Commander

Post by Jazz »

RIP Prowl.

Now then- great action! Both with Prime and Prowl. I laughed at the "I'm stupid! I'm stupid" part :lol:

This was great man, keep going.
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Jazz wrote:RIP Prowl.
I see what you did there.

Thanks, man. It was kinda hard to write... not only emotionally taxing (most writers tend to become attached to their works and characters; I am no exception), but it was also hard to keep the fights going without making them too repetitive.
The Dark is Coming
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Good work! I like how this chapter turned out!
PrimeDirective wrote: “Smile, you son of a -----!”

-Very amusing! "Jaws", right?
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Thanks, Minerva! And yeah, that's a reference to Jaws.
The Dark is Coming
The Last Autobot
City Commander

Post by The Last Autobot »

PrimeDirective wrote:Can I, then, do less?
ZOMG FURMANISM

And...in regards to you KILLING MY FAVORITE CHARACTER..... :cry: :cry: :cry:
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Chapter 16
The Yee dam stood against a large reservoir to the north of Los Angeles. A two-lane, paved road running across its top connected the opposing sides of the canyon. Its concrete exterior reflected a yellowish color onto the river below, which snaked its way through the minor canyon until it joined the sea. At its submerged bottom, the current churned and bubbled, spinning electricity-generating turbines as it passed through the dam's six floodgates. At the dam's base, Megatron stood, armor tattered and torn, hands wrist-deep in electrical wiring, absorbing energy directly into his systems.

Megatron twitched, feeling the electricity enter his body and replenish his strength.

Optimus Prime's vehicular form drove onto the roadway almost silently, and he transformed. Hearing the metallic cacophony of shifting and moving parts, Megatron shifted his gaze upwards. He growled, released the wires, and transformed, hurling up the side of the dam toward his pursuer, before transforming again and landing hard on the roadway.

He hunched forward, glaring at Prime. “Why do you continue to pursue me? I swear to you, Optimus Prime, I had every intention of leaving this pathetic cesspool of a planet after obtaining the energy to do so.”

“I suspect otherwise. After all, is deception not in your army's very name?” Prime retorted.

Megatron's eyes narrowed and he straightened himself. “Tell me, what drives you to protect this planet so?”

“Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.”

“So you would sacrifice the well-being of your own race to preserve the autonomy of one so inferior?”

“I would obey the word of Primus. Is it not recorded that our primary function is to preserve life in the universe?”

“No where did it say all of it,” Megatron scoffed. “It has been said that we were supposed to be a buffer against the 'approaching darkness', not a universal police force, and how better to prepare ourselves against that darkness than to build our empire?”

“Twenty-five thousand years, and we continue to proceed in circles,” Prime said, shaking his head.

“Perhaps you proceed in circles, but I... I proceed in a straight line!” Megatron declared. His hand parted and folded away, and Sentinel Prime's flail was ejected from his wrist. He leapt forward, swinging.

Prime sidestepped the blow, his own hand shifting away to reveal his axe. Megatron spun around for another blow, which Prime caught on his axe.

Megatron swung his arm, and another blow was blocked by Prime's golden glowing axe. Using the standoff to his advantage, Megatron lashed out with his foot, kicking Optimus Prime and knocking him backwards. Prime skidded down the road, stopping, and climbing back to his feet.

“By the end of this day, Optimus Prime, one shall stand and one shall fall!” Megatron declared, retracting his flail.

Prime wiped away a spot of mud from his mouth plate. “You've already fallen, Megatron.”

“No!” Megatron howled, charging forward. He pounced, and the two combatants collapsed to the ground.

Megatron held Prime's arms down with both hands, gnashing his teeth in Prime's face. Prime responded, kneeing Megatron in the torso and knocking him away. Megatron stumbled backwards and regained his balance, hanging precariously on the edge of the dam.

Optimus charged forward, wrapped his arms around Megatron's chest, and the two tumbled over the side.

Megatron shouted as he and Prime fell away from each other, slamming into the concrete wall, bouncing off, and hitting again. Prime grunted with each impact, until he managed to regain his sense of balance and threw his axe at the wall. The metal screeched on concrete until it finally caught, wedging itself into the concrete and slowing Prime's descent.

Megatron continued to roll to the base of the dam, smashing hard into the concrete floor. He groaned, peeling himself off of the cement.

Prime stopped a few meters above, axe thoroughly buried. He swung his body, slowly freeing himself, until his axe fell free, and he fell the rest of the way, landing on his back. He groaned, and stood.

Megatron growled, exasperated.

Jazz, Bumblebee, and Ironhide screeched to a halt on the pavement just before the dam. Spike and Carly quickly climbed out of Bumblebee's interior, and the Autobots revealed themselves. The rattling of helicopter blades above drowned out most of the sounds of the combatants below. Agent Korosky hung from the open door of one, barking orders into a hand-held radio.

"I think Optimus is gonna win!" Spike said, pounding his fists into the air.

"I think so," Jazz said. Bumblebee remained silent, attention fixed on the fight.

Ironhide stepped to the edge of the dam, weapons poised to fire.

Korosky's helicopter landed further up the dam, allowing him to disembark before returning to the air. The FBI agent turned to look over the edge. "Prepare to destroy the dam," he ordered.

Spike and Carly rushed up the dam. "Give Optimus a little more time!" Carly pleaded.

"Yeah, he can handle this," Spike added, nodding in agreement.

Korosky looked at the two. "Do you two have a better plan?"

Spike thought to himself for a moment, before looking up. "Yeah." He turned to face the three Autobots positioned down the roadway.

"Bumblebee!" he shouted.

The small yellow Autobot looked up, and walked somberly over. "What can I do?"

"See if you can get inside, and open the flood gates," Spike said.

Bumblebee nodded. "Yeah, yeah. We can wash Megatron away if Optimus knocks him into the river."

Korosky nodded. "Okay. I'll allow you five minutes."

Spike and Bumblebee looked at each other, and, for a moment, felt as if they were the same being but split into two halves. Finally, Bumblebee turned and transformed, revving his engine and shooting down the roadway toward the entrance to the interior of the dam. He rammed the metal doors, blasting them apart, and transformed again, proceeding carefully but quickly down into the depths.

Prime's axe retracted, he lunged forward, and Megatron's face contorted with the force of the punch. Megatron swiped at Prime, leaving a long but shallow scratch across Prime's chest.

Optimus shifted his weight onto his back leg and lashed out with the front, striking Megatron in the torso. The Decepticon leader stumbled backwards, clutching himself.

Prime unholstered his ion rifle, and fired a shot at Megatron, shattering a plate of armor and knocking the Decepticon further back.

Megatron lifted his arm and fired a blast from his cannon, catching Optimus in the chest. Optimus cried out as he was thrown back against the dam. The concrete exterior cracked slightly around the impact zone, but no water leaked through. Prime crumpled to the ground.

"Prime." It was Jazz. Prime glanced up above him, spotting the two Autobots above him.

"Yes, Jazz?" Prime asked. The communication link crackled slightly.

"You've got to knock Megatron into the water," the Autobot lieutenant replied. "And get him there long enough for Bumblebee to get the flood gates open."

"All right," Optimus said. "Optimus Prime out."

Optimus turned his attention back to Megatron, who was now charging up the base of the dam toward him. His movements came naturally: he sidestepped, ducked beneath Megatron's flailing arms, grabbed the Decepticon leader's shoulders, brought his knee to his back.

Megatron snarled in frustration, and launched himself backwards, knocking both to the ground. Megatron immediately rolled off of Prime and stood, placing his cannon over Optimus Prime's face.

Bumblebee squeezed between machines covered in dials and analogue and digital readouts, humming and whirring monotonously. The interior of the dam was dimly lit, and no workers were to be found.

Paper-white crabs and frogs scuttled and hopped out of the reach of Bumblebee's headlights, scattering from beneath his feet. Their blue veins were easily visible beneath the near-transparent skin.

A noise, barely audible even to his sensors, drew his attention upward. Slowly, drips of water fell from a rusted sign, onto the concrete floor below. Despite the rust, the sign was clearly a directory. Bumblebee scanned it quickly, finding the listing he was looking for: "Control Room Directly Ahead."

The concrete walls rumbled like thunder. Dust and dirt fell from the ceiling as the entire room shook slightly. Bumblebee increased his pace, spotting a hallway ahead of him. He ducked inside, and began crawling on his hands and knees.

He barely fit, both shoulders smashed against the walls and scratching away the concrete, but he was determined to press on, and, at last, he came to a room at the end of the hallway marked, "Control Room".

Placing both hands on either side of the doorway, he pulled himself from the cramped hallway, and sighed in relief.

He stood, stretching his arms, and noticed a group of four workers huddled together, shaking in fear.

"It's okay, I'm not one of the ones here to hurt you," Bumblebee assured them. "Now, I need you to listen to everything I have to say if you want to live."

Jazz gazed over the edge of the dam. "We're all set down here, Jazz," Bumblebee said over the communications frequency. Jazz could hear humans in the background bustling.

"Smooth, 'Bee," Jazz said. "Prime's gotten himself into a little bit of trouble, and we're trying to get him out. I'll tell you when, though." Jazz fired a shot down at Megatron, denting the armor on his shoulder.

Several missiles slipped from Ironhide's launchers, casting themselves down on their target. Megatron screamed, falling away from Prime, as his body was enveloped in a cloud of explosions.

Spike and Carly cheered.

Optimus was instantly on his feet. He rushed forward at the dazed Megatron, ramming his shoulder into the Decepticon's chest. Megatron stumbled backwards.

"You," Prime said, punching Megatron in the chest, "will," punch, "not," punch, "harm," punch, "another," punch, "living," punch, "being!" Each blow pushed Megatron toward the edge, toward the water. Optimus finished with a kick to Megatron's chest.

Stunned, the Decepticon leader's eyes widened. He seemed to fall backwards in slow motion. Prime gazed, emotionless, into his nemesis's eyes. Megatron's arms flailed in wide arcs. The green-tinged water below waited hungrily. Megatron's heels slipped from the concrete edge.

Megatron cried out, "PRIME!" and with a massive splash, disappeared beneath the foamy, wavy waters.

Prime turned and reached up to tap a button on the side of his head. "Bumblebee, do it now," he said calmly.

He heard Bumblebee give the command over the link: "NOW!"

Prime turned back toward the water as the dam groaned under the water. The current sped, whirling around beneath the concrete structure before rushing off toward the sea beyond. The current quickly grew into rapids that raged down the valley, rising up against the canyon walls, spraying up over and engulfing rocks that once had fallen from those cliffs, roaring and drowning not only Megatron but all sound.

Then movement near the largest of these boulders, the only one not completely beneath the water, drew Prime's attention. He felt his chest grow heavy as a silver hand grasped the rock. Megatron hauled himself onto the boulder's surface. His toes clutched the contours of the rock as he turned and aimed his cannon at the dam. A purple glow emitted from the mouth of his cannon... and promptly fizzled out.

Megatron brought the barrel in front of his face. His face contorted with rage, he threw his fists into the air, and stomped on the rock, which split in half under the force of Megatron's blow, spilling him back into the water.

Almost instantly, the water welled up and then exploded as Megatron shot toward the sky in his fighter form. Three missiles immediately set off to follow, but Megatron shifted to interplanetary speed, and the resulting sonic boom caused them to explode before reaching their target. Several helicopters below were caught in the shock wave and shook violently before regaining control.

The booming of Megatron's twin thrusters was soon joined by the roar of Starscream's own, and the two Decepticons disappeared from view, into the darkening sky.

"Megatron... He was right..." Prime said somberly, gazing mournfully off into the sunset.

Epilogue
The bleached sky hung perfectly still in the October air. A cool wind blew from the north, lending a welcome chill to the parched land. The airfield seemed to stretch on forever in all directions, only interrupted by the small hangar in the distance marked with the Blackrock Industries logo. A small building constructed of concrete stood alone amidst the sea of dry grass.

Next to this building, the Autobots stood in order of command: Optimus Prime, Jazz, then a gap, Ratchet, another gap, and Bumblebee, each saluting staunchly. Next to Bumblebee, Spike, Carly, Chip, Sparkplug, and G. B. Blackrock stood in a row, Carly wearing a black dress and the others wearing black suits.

Opposite them was a line of soldiers, each in uniform and saluting as well. In the middle of the line stood Captain White. One of these soldiers possessed a rifle slung on his back.

Ironhide and Warpath solemnly carried the titanium-and-concrete casket between these lines, toward the open door of the building. Bumblebee wavered slightly as he stood there, and Spike looked up at him and patted the back of his leg comfortingly.

Ironhide stopped next to the door, and Warpath carried his end of the casket around to the other side of the door, and the two laid it gently, reverently, on a hydraulic lift.

"Present!" called White. The weapon-carrying soldier stepped forward and aimed toward the sky.

"Fire one!" White commanded. The soldier complied, firing the first shot.

Spike's eyes clouded as the salute continued, one shot at a time. He felt his head fall to his chest, and then felt his father's hand on his shoulder.

Finally, the twenty-first shot was fired, and everything stood silent and still in a moment of reverence for the fallen Prowl.

Finally, Ironhide and Warpath stepped away from the open door of the tomb, allowing Optimus to press a button on a control panel on the wall. The hydraulic lift lowered itself, and Prowl, slowly, shrouding itself in darkness, two stories below the ground. With a steady hand, Optimus closed the door, which hissed as the airlock activated, sealing the interior of the tomb off from the outside.

"Autobots..." Prime managed to say, before falling silent once more.

Days later, Optimus Prime stood atop a secluded cliff, gazing at the sky. "Autobots," he said aloud, "this is Optimus Prime. The location of the Creation Matrix has been revealed to me. It is on this planet, Earth. My team and I are staying on this planet until further notice to defend it from the Decepticons, who I have no doubt will eagerly return upon the moment they discover a way to find it. I hereby order crew of the Metroplex, as well as the Autobots currently under the command of Elita One to journey here. Ultra Magnus is to maintain his position as temporary Autobot Commander until our return. Earthbound Autobots, rendezvous at the following coordinates..."

The cold, ruddy, broken-down city of Kaon stretched as far as the optic could see. Atop the Decepticon Command Tower, a twisted spire reaching up like a massive tendril toward the dark, blood-dyed sky, a large ring filled with a glowing, swirling blue and purple energy. Megatron shot through and transformed, landing on the platform overlooking the entire city. Starscream and Soundwave hesitantly followed suit.

A massive purple Decepticon bowed to Megatron. "Lord Megatron, it is pleasing to see you fully-functional," it said in a cold, calculating voice, from nowhere clearly apparent. Its single, piercing green optic concealed any detail its hexagonal, otherwise-nonexistent face possessed.

"Dispense with the formalities, Shockwave. What is the situation?" Megatron growled impatiently.

Taken aback, Shockwave stuttered. "Er... We have recovered seventy percent of the land we lost after your disappearance... when Starscream took command."

"And... how... much... land... did... we... lose?" Megatron seethed.

"Fifty percent of the total area controlled when you were in command, my Lord."

Megatron turned, angered, and grabbed Starscream by the neck. "YOU IDIOT!" he bellowed, tossing him from the platform. Starscream transformed as he fell, and ascended back to the platform.

"I... apologize, Lord Megatron," Starscream pleaded facetiously.

"It seems the only wise decision you made in my absence was leaving Shockwave in command when you left for Earth. Fortunately, you are relieved from your duties as Decepticon Supreme Commander."

Megatron turned to Shockwave. "Is the ship ready?"

"Lord Megatron, I must say, your original specifications were much grander than anything I'd anticipated, and it took much longer than what you insisted upon-" Shockwave began.

"Get on with it, Shockwave," Megatron growled.

"Erm... yes. It is finished. The Nemesis is space-worthy now."

"And our... secret?"

Shockwave hesitated. "We ran into some troubles, sir... Some female Autobots were detected in the city stealing Energon, but I was unable to apprehend them."

Starscream sneered. Megatron asked, "And the dimensional portal?"

"It is functional, but only has the Energon for one body to be sent through."

"Then let it be him," Megatron said. "While I was in stasis on that forsaken planet, I was contacted by him. He told me that there was another portal, on the same planet that the Creation Matrix was hidden on, which he was cast through in the first place, and it can be powered by the Matrix."

"Shall I begin the process, then?"

"No. Not yet. I wish to savor my final moments in command before he is released. I gain an unstoppable army at the cost of leadership of the Decepticons... for a time, at least."
The Dark is Coming
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

You did a great job on this fanfic! I really enjoyed reading it and I hope that we'll get to see a sequel! :)
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Minerva wrote:You did a great job on this fanfic! I really enjoyed reading it and I hope that we'll get to see a sequel! :)
Oh, you can count on it. I have this horrible habit of planning stories in threes. :lol:
The Dark is Coming
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

As promised, here's a special sneak preview of Transformers: Legion
The dark room was cast in a blue, flickering glow as the figure of Alpha Trion manifested itself at the center of the circular holographic generator. Alpha Trion bowed graciously, and Optimus Prime smiled, mouthplate retracted.

“Do not bow to me, old friend,” Optimus said. Trion rose to his feet. “Now, to what do I owe the honor?”

“Unfortunately,” Alpha Trion answered, “the War.”

Optimus sighed deeply. “I see.”

“Ultra Magnus tells me that Megatron has recently departed Cybertron in a battleship that has been in the making since before his disappearance. Somehow, the Decepticon scientists have managed to replicate our space bridge technology and apply it to their spacecraft. They may be in the Sol system as we speak."

"I... I understand," Prime said gravely.

"Shall I send for reinforcements?"

"No. We need to maintain our forces on Cybertron as well. I have a feeling Megatron won't bring all of the Decepticons with him."

"Okay," Alpha Trion said. Optimus turned away, toward the door, gazing down at the ground.

"And Prime?"

Optimus turned and looked up.

"Emirate Xaaron... has something to tell you..." Alpha Trion's tone was suddenly grim. He left the view of the hologram recorder, and Emirate Xaaron took his place.

"Emirate Xaaron. It is good to see you, old friend."

Xaaron glanced nervously at Optimus, but couldn't keep his eyes on him.

"What is wrong?" Optimus asked.

Xaaron looked up, directly into Optimus Prime's eyes. "You be careful, Optimus Prime. Your time is ending."

Optimus frowned. "Ending?"

Xaaron nodded. "He is coming, eating away at the fabric between universes."

"Xaaron, who is coming?"

Xaaron's reply was simple: "The dark."
The Dark is Coming
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

PrimeDirective wrote:I have this horrible habit of planning stories in threes. :lol:
Haha! That doesn't seem like a horrible habit to me.

Either way, the upcoming fic looks promising!
PrimeDirective
Gestalt Warrior

Post by PrimeDirective »

Minerva wrote:
PrimeDirective wrote:I have this horrible habit of planning stories in threes. :lol:
Haha! That doesn't seem like a horrible habit to me.

Either way, the upcoming fic looks promising!
It's really not, but I end up planning so far in advance I end up never even touching some ideas I get.

And I'm glad you liked it. Should the new story be posted in a new thread or this one?
The Dark is Coming