Paint Choices.

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Paint Choices.

Post by Countdown »

I am strongly considering painting a knock off g1 Star Saber into the g1 colors.
  • 1. Would painters tape help with fine lines on figures or is there a better method?
    2. How should I apply the paint? - with a traditional brush?
    3. Should I use a primer on the figure first? - Which one if I do? - LOL.
    4. If the factory stickers don't peel off cleanly, what do you reccomend I use to scrub off the rest of them?
    5. Which paint should I use? I currently have 'model master' paints for some models I was going to start but, I seem to have forgotten about. I am going to assume, that I should put that away and forget about them. I assume they are the wrong paints to use on tf figures.
    6. Should I disassemble the figure before painting?
    7. If so, any easy advise on removing pins from figures? And, more importantly - easy advise on reassembling pins back on to figures? :)
Here is what the figure currently looks like:

Is there anything else I should be aware of before I start this project (if I start this project)? Thanks for any and all advice. :)
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

Goo Gone is a great way to remove stickers. They even carry it in the dollar store near me.

As for painting and lines, look up model painting and tips for panel lines. When I used to paint models my preferred method was to use micron pens. Look up "gundam markers" if you want to try that. It can also be done by using washes. But I believe the paint needs to be sealed first for that to work right.
captainamerica
Gestalt Warrior

Re: Paint Choices.

Post by captainamerica »

Countdown wrote:I am strongly considering painting a knock off g1 Star Saber into the g1 colors.

1. Would painters tape help with fine lines on figures or is there a better method?
Painter's tape is good, I also use plumber's tape (aka teflon tape) for smaller pieces.
2. How should I apply the paint? - with a traditional brush?
A brush unless you're using spray paint.
3. Should I use a primer on the figure first? - Which one if I do? - LOL.
I don't usually prime the toys I paint.
4. If the factory stickers don't peel off cleanly, what do you reccomend I use to scrub off the rest of them?
LD is right, goo gone is your best bet.
5. Which paint should I use? I currently have 'model master' paints for some models I was going to start but, I seem to have forgotten about. I am going to assume, that I should put that away and forget about them. I assume they are the wrong paints to use on tf figures.
If you're going to paint by hand, you need some good acryllic paints (I think model masters are enamel?). A lot of people really like Games Workshop (Warhammer) paints. I use a lot of Krylon Fusion spray paint; especially if you're going to paint large areas. Be sure to leave the painted bits alone for the time indicated on the directions (about a week) and the paint will bond with the plastic: no chipping. Also, once the spray paint dries, you can paint over it with acryllics or enamels.
6. Should I disassemble the figure before painting?
I do, but that's mainly because I use more spray paint than anything.
7. If so, any easy advise on removing pins from figures? And, more importantly - easy advise on reassembling pins back on to figures? :)
There's no easy way to do it, just careful effort with a hammer and nail (removal) or pliers (reassembly)
My heart is die-cast.
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Thanks for the replies! The holidays have pretty much broke the bank this till the new year. I think I will start the work in January. I am excited to plan all this out.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Also good for sticky goo removal: Ronsonol! (lighter fluid) I kid you not. I've removed ugly gunk from a 20 some year old jetfire box, nice and clean.

If you're not into spraypaint, and want to get into the big time modding, an airbrush is the way to go, as it ensures an even and thin application. less is more.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

Air brushing is the only way to get a really beautiful paint job.

Whether or not to prime will depend on the paint you use. Acrylics need a spray primer or they'll scrape right off glossy plastic like that.

Disassembly will definitely make things easier to paint.

Look up some Gundam modeling sites for some detailed painting guides. Gundams don't transform, but they move. And there are special steps to do painting things with moving parts.