Your opinion is needed

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Your opinion is needed

Post by Optimus Maximus »

I recently picked up a G1 Galvatron in maybe C8 or better condition. He is however missing his accessories which I plan on getting also as I find the online. Anyway my question is, since Galvatron isn't molded and painted in the correct colors would it be a crime against Transformers to give him a repaint to make him more movie accurate? I dont want to ruin him. Please let me know what you think I should do.

BTW I have more than 20 years experience in building and painting model cars so this should be a breeze. I could however use some pointers if you have any for me.
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

Just do whatever makes you happy. I have a loose one too that i took apart and intended to put back together in another color, but still haven't.
PETER IS GOD!Image
Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Optimus Maximus »

Thanks for your opinion. I Think I will be starting him soon.
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

To repaint a G1 Galvatron figure in more movie/cartoon accurate colors--or more comic accurate colors, for that matter--would, i think, be a service to Transformers... but a crime against TransFans.

Before you repaint your Galvatron, may i suggest/request that you investigate how much it would cost you to acquire a reissue Galvatron (which has a more show accurate deco than the original release), and compare that with how much you could get for selling your G1 figure. i don't know, you might get a figure the color you want and turn a profit at the same time.

The Galvatron in your possession is yours, which means it is your right to do whatever you want with it. However, the way i see it, there will never be any more G1 figures, and while i would personally rather have a G1 reissue than a genuine G1 figure (even in cases where, unlike Galvatron, the original and the reissue look the same), i understand and respect those collectors who want the authentic original. If you repaint yours, that just means there's one less authentic original to be had. (Okay, technically, maybe it'd still be an authentic original, but it wouldn't meet the needs of a purist seeking an authentic original.) Please consider NOT repainting it.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)