on the subject of fanfic/RP characters

Post your work! We want to see your TF fanfics, fan art, webcomics, custom toys, and your home-grown toy repairs here.

Moderator: Blackjack

Rhymus
City Commander

on the subject of fanfic/RP characters

Post by Rhymus »

Wasn't sure whether to put this thread in the Kolkular Energon Bar, Products of the Fandom, or Non-Toy Talk...

When you are making up a TF for a fanfic or RP, does it matter to you what the character looks like, or how the TF transforms? or is the only thing that matters what mode(s) he/she/it has?

When you are writing a TF fanfic or RP post, do you bother to describe what your character looks like or how he/she/it transforms? or just say what mode(s) he/she/it has? Do you care if others picture your character differently than you imagined? (For example, you say your character transforms into a semi truck, and you're imagining a G1 Optimus Prime recolor, but someone else is imagining a recolor of G1 Huffer, and someone else is imagining G1 Motormaster, or RiD Scourge, or TF07 Optimus Prime--do you care?)

When you are reading a TF fanfic or RP, does it matter to you what other players' characters look like, or how they transform? or are alternate modes all that matters?
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

visual aspects are great to have in RP. It makes it more exciting.
And if you post a pic, it gives the reader a better idea of what you are explaining. I try to use as much detail as my little brain can give out when I RP. But I usually make my posts short and quick to the point. I add descriptions of detail on subjects that have a major importance to the RP plot. Like when I was trying to kill CB using ACME products, I would draw a "Preperation" map and post it in the RP.
But by all means I am no way close to a "serious" RP player.
Too much descriptions and detail bores me when I read.
So I just speed read most of the time and look for core words like "Galvatron - Decepticons - battle - autobots die" or anything that has giggity innuendo
Blackjack
Risky Gamblebot

Post by Blackjack »

"Galvatron - Decepticons - battle - lose - retreat"? Is that what you meant Galvy?

I agree that details about character appearance certainly enhance the roleplay by giving the reader an idea of what you picture in your mind. But it never really mattered to me that much. I don't have a good enough understanding of the transformation mechansms of TFs (having never owned very many of the toys until I met Ben, and still don't own very many) to really explain in detail how my characters transform.

If you'd like to do that by all means. Also I would say that for a fanfiction it may be more interesting to do so than for the laid back style of roleplay we have going on here. I think a lot of the fun in roleplaying is to leave things up to the imagination of the player reading your post. I would like to draw Blackjack, Roulette, the Royal Flush, etc. at some point but my art skills and knowledge of TFs certainly limits that. So for now as long as players know the basics (color, size, alt mode) I'm fine with someone picturing my characters however they'd like.

I think that you're certainly more professional if you take the time to develop all of those things about your character and it makes the character overall more interesting.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Blackjack wrote:"Galvatron - Decepticons - battle - lose - retreat"? Is that what you meant Galvy?.
not quite, but it is what I usually end up reading LOL
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I bring about a counterpoint. I like to imagine how characters transform, since what makes me love TF (and MASK and GoBots) so much is the mechanical genius of it all. How the HECK do you get a humanoid robot out of a big 8x8 racing truck? What makes THIS semi truck transformer different that Optimus, Motormaster, or Huffer? These things I like to ponder. Do I describe it? No, not really, I like to keep the roleplay rolling. I'll occasionally describe a detail of what part winds up where, if it's relevant to the action. For example, if Cambreaker hit a big spike with his frontmost tire, he'd be looking at a deflated tire on his forearm in robot mode. Maybe he blocks a sword with his forearm in 'bot mode, then has a dragging front wheel in truck mode. Does anyone WANT me to tell you where all eight of his wheels wind up in robot mode? Probably not.
However, I have made up some drawings to make it clearer (though not all wound up posted). For example, i DID draw the Ætherspite, because it was important, and having a visual helped characters in and around it know what they were looking at. Will I draw Pinstripe's Sanos Traco? Probably not, because it's not going to be heavily inhabited by player characters, nor will it's shape make a difference if it's in combat. All you need to know is that it's sleek and black.

For other people's characters, I'm content to use my imagination to fill in what's not provided. For example, I imagine Blackjack having tall shoulders like G1 Nightbeat, for whatever reason. Do others, including his player imagine the same? I don't know.