A New Year, a new RP?

Weigh in on the details or throw your RP hat in the ring!

Moderator: Sideways

Sideways
Autobot Scientist

A New Year, a new RP?

Post by Sideways »

So, the new year will soon be upon us. I know the RP has been quite inactive for a long time, we've all been busy with life and such. Typing to you in a way that makes sense is difficult for me, so let's just cut to the chase and I will say what I want to say.

Let's make some sort of effort this year to get the RP going. I can't honestly expect it to magically take off, so let's take it slow. I think I will reach out to some of my friends and see who would be interested in joining our story. Let's not go all out just yet. We had a bar in the past, let's try and use something like that where we can mingle and chat.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Re: A New Year, a new RP?

Post by Time Traveller »

I think this is a swell idea. I'm working on making my online presence more regular, so this would be a good start. Count me in!
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I figured you'd be in on it. Did we not have a bar or something where our characters can mingle (Cybertronian Pizza Parlor? :P ). We can just take time and talk with one another before we try and get a story going again. I'm going to branch out to my friends and see if anyone is interested in a RP.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

As Sideways and I discussed last night, I think we should retire (archive & lock) this RP forum and start anew. We'll start with a fresh character roster, fresh storyline, and maybe some simple joinup guidelines to help new players get started.
This forum will of course will remain readable, as well as Blackjack's super-awesome summary of everything that happened here. Any more takers? If I can get a murmur of agreement, I'll get this row on the shoad!
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

I'm all for it. It would be a fresh start for us.
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

I would be willing to give it a try.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Hiya, Rattrap :) Welcome back!
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Long time no see, Rattrap. welcome back
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

If it ever does kick back off, I might try to talk my wife into signing up here as Starscream and only using her account in the Rp section. She's a fan too, but not to the level I am. So any posting done in the non-RP section would be by her and not me. I can't see myself RP'ing as an Autobot and have a pretty extensive history Rp'ing in the Decepticon camp on other Rp forums.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Do you have any input from your other forums? I'm just curious as to how things were done at other places you've enjoyed.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

They really operated no differently than the RP operates here. Maybe a bigger cast of people posting regularly and a more structured/tiered system. There's also a few things that tends to drive me away from RP boards.... like when it's heavily live action movie influenced or there are more OC's (created characters) than established characters.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Well, we had a bigger cast at one point... What do you mean by tiered/structured system?
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Time Traveller wrote:Well, we had a bigger cast at one point... What do you mean by tiered/structured system?
Ah, just more organized by planets, factions or wars. Maybe create a new forum for the RP (outside of Transformers Universe) that way you can divide and reorganize the threads into separate sub-forums?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I see, and I like. I will start setting something up.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Good to see you around, Rattrap!

I might be interested in participating in a new RP as well. :)

Feel free to make more RP comments and/or suggestions!
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Also, I think Minerva finally fixed it so you guys can post in here. I was having some confusion with the new admin control panel. Please let me know if you are having any difficulty here.
Rattrap
Big Grey Rat

Post by Rattrap »

Time Traveller wrote:Also, I think Minerva finally fixed it so you guys can post in here. I was having some confusion with the new admin control panel. Please let me know if you are having any difficulty here.
It seems like viewing and posting is working now. I guess if we are starting with a small multi-faction group we could maybe do something again an external threat to all of cybertron? Chilling and eating energon pizza would work too. I would be down for trying whatever people wanted to get going. I think Redline would be willing to give it another shot too.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

A place to 'break the ice' would be a nice start to the RP. A bar or pizza parlor (Salvatore's, TT? lol) would be ideal. We can establish a motive or reason to start a conflict, and we can move off-world again and perhaps visit Earth or any other planets in our travels.

The whole "Cybertron's dying, let's evacuate" plot could come into play. Something happens in the OLD rp that causes a cataclysmic event that forces us offworld. We could make for the stars and get lost and crash somewhere. Maybe a time-displacement event that leaves us stranded in the past/future. Cambreaker's flagship gets lost in one section of time while we get flung to another.

(TT, If you have any future problems with post permissions, you can ask me. I know my way around the phpbb ACP)
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I like all the suggestions so far, and I'm glad it seems to be working so well for everyone. I do like Roadbuster's idea to have it a little more G1-centric this time around, and I like Sideways' idea to have the main cast off Cybertron, and I'd maybe even be willing to give Earth a shot (so long as humans don't get TOO involved). Since we're starting out small, perhaps we could follow a more modern archetype where each team has a few players to begin with, and each struggling to get back to Cybertron... as new players come in, we could introduce them as having crashed somewhere else, or have stumbled across the skirmish some other way.
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

i've been lurking. Resuming posting has been my New Year's resolution. (How's my driving? Call 1-800-FAIL.)

i wrote a fanfic, which should function as a stand-alone story, but could work as a setting for the RP reboot. You can read it here.
Sideways wrote:I figured you'd be in on it. Did we not have a bar or something where our characters can mingle (Cybertronian Pizza Parlor? :P ). We can just take time and talk with one another before we try and get a story going again. I'm going to branch out to my friends and see if anyone is interested in a RP.
i wrote about a bar. i called it the Space Bar, but i also thought about naming it Maccadam's, Swerve's, maybe something with a Rollbar pun (the Roll Bar, Rollbar's Bar, something like that), a gag reference to mixing drinks (like Mixmaster's or Quickmix's or the Blendtron), or something like CHUG (or CHUGGER or CHUGGEUR). See also: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Destron_Pizza

i botched the "take it slow" thing, but i deliberately scripted my Threat To Both Factions (TTBF) to be an easily deleted bit at the end of my post, so we can replace it with a different TTBF, and/or have the TTBF later, if ever. (Minor spoiler alert: My TTBF is for Cybertron itself to go missing. Possibly the Tonka GoBots, as part of some attempt to preserve the existence of their entire universe, actually stole the planet Cybertron?
Roadbuster wrote:If it ever does kick back off, I might try to talk my wife into signing up here as Starscream and only using her account in the Rp section. She's a fan too, but not to the level I am. So any posting done in the non-RP section would be by her and not me. I can't see myself RP'ing as an Autobot and have a pretty extensive history Rp'ing in the Decepticon camp on other Rp forums.
Either/both Mr. and/or Mrs. Roadbuster are certainly welcome, but i'm not sure if you said what you meant or meant what you said. If she's not to your level, wouldn't "any posting done in the non-RP section would be by" you and not her? Didn't you change your screen name to Roadbuster precisely because you intended to rejoin the RP as that Autobot? i think you also said in another thread that you could play Starscream in your sleep, so i guess you do mean for that role to be your wife's (and you could help her if she gets stuck, is that the plan?)

As for fans making up their own Original Characters, i can think of at least one argument in favor of OCs, and at least two arguments against using canon characters as Player Characters. OCs are a way for fans to add something new and unique to the universe they love so much, while using a canon character as a PC deprives other players access to that part of the universe they love so much--especially if the player (deliberately or accidentally) plays that character too differently from any canonical portrayals. That being said, i think the TFL RPGs tend to be small enough :-( to accommodate OCs and canon characters.
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)