G2 slingshot!!

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Mopar392
Noob

G2 slingshot!!

Post by Mopar392 »

Soooo during my journey of collecting, certain G2 transformers paint schemes are beautiful…(Starscream, ramjet, Megatron) which is what attracted me to Superion….yes I know this one seemed to be the rare one out of the 5, unfortunately I didn’t do my hw as to why so I maaaay have over paid for a sealed package but I’m fine with that….finally reading as to why he’s the rare one, please tell me that’s a lie lol should the thought even cross my mind of opening it up?? What did I just do!?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Re: G2 slingshot!!

Post by Time Traveller »

Sorry....
Keep it sealed. He is that bad. Frankly, a sealed one might be a bit worse than usual, as his joints haven't been worn in at all. God forbid you try to combine him! I've had G2 Slingshot since he came out back in 1994, and mine had some chips around the fist/foot socket years before I even knew what was wrong. The last time I combined him into Superion was 2006, and got off easy because most figures that break due to deteriorating plastic start doing so at ~10 years old. I've heard of people using GPS figures by dousing them in plastic-compatible lubricants, but I wouldn't risk it.
Here's what I'd recommend. It's not easy, but it's what I did.
Get a G1 Slingshot (yellowed is cheaper). Get a broken G2 slingshot with both wing and tail stickers. Paint the G1 gold and blue and swap the chestplate. Use a hair dryer to heat and carefully remove the stickers from the broken one, and apply to the G1. Use silicone grease on all the joints to keep them from sticking from the paint. I commissioned a customizer to do mine because I have no skills ;)

By the same token, I'd leave that Electro in truck mode. G1 GPS guys like Roadblock, Skyhammer, Bristleback, Slog, etc. are generally sturdy enough to handle and transform if you're careful, but silicone grease is still your friend. Don't push gun posts into gold sockets any harder than you have to to get them to barely stay (you may even gently sand and polish them ever-so-slightly smaller diameter for a slightly looser fit). Don't drop them or perch them on the edge of a shelf. Be careful with Bristleback's Monstructor fist, or buy one that's already cracked.

Happy motoring, and welcome to the TFL Forum!
Mopar392
Noob

Post by Mopar392 »

Yeah I should’ve done my homework on that guy, I thank you for the response!! Def might have to look into turning the g1 into g2
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Don't feel bad. Owning a sealed one is a nice display piece! The gold is quite pretty, and the G2 packaging is a nice display piece (don't ask me how I feel about packing those double-sided blister cards, though)
Best of luck on a G1 conversion. The trick might be finding a G2 that is intact enough to donate stickers, but broken enough to be worth cannibalizing for them.