These are rare....but just how rare?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Challoner
Targetmaster

These are rare....but just how rare?

Post by Challoner »

Rubbed your eyes yet? Yes, you're looking at Shrapnel, Scrapper and Starscream in 1 1/2" moulded rubber, very probably given away during 1985/86 on the front of various TF comics (almost certainly UK issues) or similar free gift type enterprises.

As you can see, they're moulded on both sides and feature some Jap (or Oriental at least) writing on the legs and a 'number'. Shrapnel is 40, Scrapper 47 and Starscream 33. Anyway, out of curiosity - who has ever seen these, who knows what they are and who knows what they're worth?

Before anyone asks - the "holes" are where the rubber was injected into the mould though I have no idea why Scrapper doesn't have any such marks.[/url]
"That which does not kill you will only lead to your eventual demise at an old age from a related series of complications."
Aanallein
Alternator

Post by Aanallein »

Dude those are sweet. Where did you acquire such possessions?

There is nothing more dreadful than imagination without taste. ~Wolfgang von Goethe
Challoner
Targetmaster

Post by Challoner »

They were in the bottom of a box that had the full Piranacon set inside on a "car boot sale". Got Piranacon for £5 (complete bar a fist and C9.5) and these 3 little guys..
"That which does not kill you will only lead to your eventual demise at an old age from a related series of complications."
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

they were decoys. there are 53 of them, each character having his own number. the first 31 were autobots, all red. the decepticons were purple, as yours, but had a less common red variant. they came packaged with the 1987 figures, randomly inserted. TFL archives should have more.
Challoner
Targetmaster

Post by Challoner »

Ooooo....now I know :o

Found more info on the web about them:
"The Transformer decoys were released in the U.S. in 1986 and were small red and blue rubber decoys who came packaged with carded figures like the minibots, Arielbots, Stunticons, etc. There were 52 of them altogether and they were original designed for the Japanese market so this is why Megatron had a sword and not a fusion cannon. Also Gears never was made as a decoy since his figure for some odd reason never was released in Japan. Gears was the only Autobot who never was released in Japan."
And information on this webpage: http://www.raumhafen.de/galerie/rubber_ ... index.html

That list says 33 is Skywarp...but the pair are near identical, barring the actual pose - so excuse my mistake.
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Ooh, I have the red version of some decepticon decoys (devastator is one of them, I think).
Blitawing_83

lil rubber transformers

Post by Blitawing_83 »

Dude I have a bunch of those somewhere in my moms attic. The constructacons are green and the dinobots are orange and the rest are purple like that. I got them from a 25 cent machine from Acme grocery stores when I was a kid. Every time I went shopping with my old man if I was good hed give me a hand full of quarters and Id get a couple of them. When they ran out of them at Acme I looked everywhere for another machine and I could never find another 1. I wanted megatron soo bad but I never got him.