Cassettes questions

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

JoePerry
Throttlebot

Cassettes questions

Post by JoePerry »

Who is that completely red bird cassette that I see every so often (usually from GB)? He has no stickers that I have ever seen and looks almost like a ripoff.

Also, did Slugfest and overkill ever appear in the series? I never remember any episodes that they were in...

And, is it true that there were a whole bunch of other cassettes that were never released outside of Japan?

Thanks,
Joe

p.s. on a side note, do you remember 5 or 6 years ago when Soundwave was the cheapest decepticon to buy??? How strange is that? He was always my favorite, and I could never understand why his figure was worth so little, and then *BAM* he is soaring in price. Any idea why this happened?
________
Hinduism Forum
Last edited by JoePerry on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

The only red bird cassettes I know of is Laserbeak.
Laserbeak was one of the most popular cassettes.
Buzzsaw (gold/black) was the other bird then there was Ratbat (purple) in the later series.

Slugfest and Overkill appear in "Call Of The Primitives" just for a few seconds
It is the only appearance I have ever seen. Unless they appear in Japan.

Japan did release more cassettes I don't know any names. I think "Slamdance" was one of them. Some cassettes were also known as combiners. Two cassettes would form into one robot.

From what I understand about Soundwave, is that his original mold is gone.
The re-issue is a later made mold from Japan. That would explain the price for a vintage Soundwave. Now I am not sure if this is true or not but it is what I have been told.
JoePerry
Throttlebot

Post by JoePerry »

Galvatron wrote:From what I understand about Soundwave, is that his original mold is gone.
The re-issue is a later made mold from Japan. That would explain the price for a vintage Soundwave. Now I am not sure if this is true or not but it is what I have been told.
That could explain things...

As far as the other bird, this is him:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 08665&rd=1

I have seen a few of these for sale through the years... usually from GB.

Thanks,
Joe
________
List Of Chrysler Factories Specifications
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

okay, here's the haps: the red bird is a ripoff of an official TF mold: Squawktalk (1988), who was turqoise. the lion in that picture is a ripoff of steeljaw (1986). as for combiners, squawktalk was one of them, and his ape partner beastbox formed squawkbox. Slamdance (1988) was released WAS released in the us. in fact, he is also a combiner, formed by grandslam (red tank) and raindance (blue jet). however there were japan only cassettes. all the 1984 cassettes were originally in a series called microman (which also produced soundwave, blaster, megatron, perceptor, and most of the minivehicles) this series had two cassettes we never got, a motorcycle and a helicopter. i have seen pictures of them (they're cool!) and ripoffs of them. if they were released into transformers, (which i don't believe they were) they were japan-only.
JoePerry
Throttlebot

Post by JoePerry »

I always wonder about Blaster. He seems so different than other TF from the time. The plastic, molding, weight and joints seem totally different than the other figures... Anyone else notice this?

Best,
Joe
________
Revent?n
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

The thing I don't like about Blaster is his size
They should have made him the same size as Soundwave
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

blaster's size was odd. i've seen some original art for microman, and he was even big art wise. why? i don't know. but the original character was painted blue like the japanese g1 recolor. another question is why were'nt the cassette sizes standard? however, the reason blaster is larger that soundwave is he's a boom box, not a walkman like soundwave. but the robot mode is kinda.... chunky
JoePerry
Throttlebot

Post by JoePerry »

Time Traveller wrote:blaster's size was odd. i've seen some original art for microman, and he was even big art wise. why? i don't know. but the original character was painted blue like the japanese g1 recolor. another question is why were'nt the cassette sizes standard? however, the reason blaster is larger that soundwave is he's a boom box, not a walkman like soundwave. but the robot mode is kinda.... chunky
It isn't even his size that I am thinking of, but rather he seems different to me in construction and design. The body is very simple and blocky, not at all like the other figures being made at the time. He lacks any metal, or even hard plastic. He's bigger and yet lighter than everyone else. I just weighed him next to Jazz, who is much heavier and less than half his size. His joints are made different too. Very strange...
________
Ordinary life insurance advice
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

aye. there is one parallelism available available in the construction of the head and neck, if that eases you any. other than that, i can only offer that the way the tape deck buttons on him cause quite a mess on the inside (i've had mine open to straighten out that mess) that require a large torso to accommodate. my guess is that for design consistency, they had to style the whole body like that, and the joints had to be designed differently to accommodate.
megaprime
Powermaster

Post by megaprime »

Galvatron wrote:The thing I don't like about Blaster is his size
They should have made him the same size as Soundwave
Totally agree with you. The size of Blaster is ridiculous. Well, I think the toy Devastator is a little bit small. I mean it's supposed to be bigger. Now what we have is Blaster and Devastator have the same size. Ridiculous!
G1 Transformers,
the incredible creatures,
nothing else can be better,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

scaling has always been an issue. do consider though that devastator came out of diaclone, which was not accurately scaled, and blaster is microman, which is supposed to be scaled to real life in alt mode.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

THANK ME, for i have found a solution. there is a damn good reason for blasters size. Too bad it wasn't legitimized in transformers. Everybody, get out your blaster, and look him over real good. once you've done so, read on. Blaster was a working radio in Microchange. *bows* that's right. supreme research ability ;) i leave you now.