What's the worst G1 Figure produced ever?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

megaprime
Powermaster

What's the worst G1 Figure produced ever?

Post by megaprime »

Today I just got my vintage G1 Ironhide. I was excited initially, but soon later I realized this toy really sucks big time in terms of design. As a true G1 Transformers collector, I didn't know Ironhide doesn't have a real head. (Shame on me) Now I just cannot connect the junk headless robot in front of me with Ironhide, who is brave, determined, competent, and definitely one of my favorite Transformers characters.

Come to think about it. There are quite a lot of defects in G1 Transformers figures, even though as true Transformers fans, we never mind. For example, Blaster has the same size as Devastator; Galvatron's color is totally different from the character in the cartoon; the whole transformation process of Ironhide and Ratchet is just too far from the cartoon, and more importantly, they don't have heads!

Without a doubt, most of the G1 Transformers figures were incredibly well-designed, and that's the reason why they are so popular and have so many fans. Now here is a tougher question: in your opinion, what's the worst G1 figure produced ever?

We are talking about G1 only, since they are acknowledged as the best ever. In addition, minibots have to be excluded since they are so small and the transformation is way too simple. Without a doubt, Jumpstarters and Powerdashers are not eligible to this survey, since they are not even worth discussing.

I used to think the design of Galvatron was disappointing, now I think Ironhide should get redesigned. Anyway, what's your opinion? 8) 8) 8)
G1 Transformers,
the incredible creatures,
nothing else can be better,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

i have always been disappointed by the ironhide & ratchet problem. i think someone should do a remodel scaled to the originals, that transform properly. it wouldn't be hard.
as far as g1 toys, there is one disappointment that strikes me deep in the heart, and you'll see i have a very persuasive reason. the worst g1 toy botch is clearly arcee, because she was never made, despite her key role in all the g1 storylines.
megaprime
Powermaster

Post by megaprime »

Even your answer doesn't answer my question, but I completely agree with you. 8)
Once I accidentally saw an auction of G1 Arcee on eBay, and I was shocked. I am pretty sure most of you guys already checked out those famous pictures. The Arcee was pure white and without other colors, made by some toy studio. The material was plastic only. The figure could display a sexy pose, and more importantly, she could transform into a vehicle perfectly. The final price of that auction was over $400 USD. As a collector, I wish I could get her, but it was just too expensive. :? :? :?
At the same time, there was an Arcee designed by a G1 Transformers fan from Japan. That colorful Arcee was even more beautiful, and the transformation was even more incredible. That masterpiece won the champion of the Botcon conference that year.
I am thinking why those powerful manufacturers like Takara or Hasbro cannot buy the patent from those individual toy designers and mass-produce real G1 Arcee figures. I believe the potential market is huge. Without a doubt, any G1 Transformers fan and collector wishes to own a Arcee since she is the only female who is one of the most recognizable Transformers.
G1 Transformers,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

I know it's cheezy how they made Ironhide and Ratchet but this is how I solved that problem for me. I just surfed up a pic of the Ironhide bust
took the head and printed the head a bunch of different sizes
Once I found the most accurate size of head I went to "Paint" and customized it to look like Ratchet as good as I can.
Then I used clear scotch tape and taped the heads on. They also fold down when transformed into vans. Then I noticed the arms hang too low so I just turned them upwards.
The reason for the "Non-existing heads" is unknown but the 2 characters are drawn that in the first few comic books of the olden days. I think that funny looking sticker is supposed to be the face (see pic 3)

megaprime
Powermaster

Awesome!

Post by megaprime »

Man, you are awesome!
That's definitely some creative idea. You just offered me a great solution for my Ironhide's situation. hahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Ratchet is coming up very soon, and he will get better-off as well.
G1 Transformers,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

i noticed in some of the softbound story books, like the book-and tape ones, draw them like the toy.
Shanti418
Powermaster

Post by Shanti418 »

I bet a lot of those artists just used the toys as a scale model for the drawings. I had some of those Kids Stuff records when I was a kid, and they were the same way.

Personally, I don't mind Ironhide and Ratchet too bad. It used to bug me, but they're still fun toys. They can't be retroactively responsible for how the comic book/cartoons portray them. Heck, the very first comics had Ratchet and Ironhide drawn like their toys. Ratchet was redesigned I THINK after 4, I would assume because he had to take a more starring role. I don't know. If anybody's got more info, please post.

As a side note, I loved how Furman paid homage to them by Kup and Ironhide's modes in TWW.

My least favorite G1 transformer is Motormaster. I felt cheated by his crappy robot mode. His head is the worse. He makes Ultra Magnus look like Masterpiece Op as far as articulation goes.
So, in Transformers, Les Claypool is God?
megaprime
Powermaster

Ultra Magnus

Post by megaprime »

I think Ultra Magnus makes Optimus Prime look like a masterpiece. First of all, without a doubt, Ultra Magnus is a well-designed toy. However, they put a white version Optimus Prime as a part of Ultra Magnus, which demonstrated they were not able to figure out a better design of Ultra Magnus' transformation. The transformation process of the toy is far away from the original character in the story.
Without a doubt, Motormaster looks awkward, but at least his transformation is very close to the original character in the cartoon.
Generally speaking, among all the trailer trucks, Optimus Prime is still the best in terms of toy design.
G1 Transformers,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

personally, i don't mind the original magnus. I think, however, that they should have coloured the faces of all of them, not just the rubber tire ones. with the splash of color on the face, he looks kinda neat in white prime mode. who else notice he's supposed to have a missle launch site mode? yeah, that's what i thought. anyway, there is actually a neo-g1 dreamwave artist who did a rendition of white prime kicking someone's ass, i don't remember who.

as for ratchet and ironhide, someone needs to make scale face sculpts, with a slot on the bottom that just slides over that crappy little panel. or, we need some supremely skilled modeler like the one that made that arcee, to just reconstruct the whole of both bots.
Shanti418
Powermaster

Post by Shanti418 »

Or they could just make Alternator Ironhides and Ratchets *crosses fingers*
So, in Transformers, Les Claypool is God?
megaprime
Powermaster

That Arcee is incredible!

Post by megaprime »

Without a doubt, the Arcee designed by that Transformers fan from Japan is incredible. Those corporations like Hasbro or Takara should buy the patent of the Arcee design and mass produce the toy. Then as Transformers fans, we will finally be able to complete our collection and realize our dream!
G1 Transformers,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

amen, brothers! arcees, and alternator ironhides and rachets for children big and small everywhere! hallelujah!
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

You have to know that the toyss existed before the cartoons. Specially the 1984 and 1985 range. Ironhide and Ratchet were part of the Diaclone line, and there they were no sentient robots, but big armor like Battroids in Robotech. They are unicque with the feature of having the seat of the Diaclone driver on top. The artist who designed the cartoon versions of them was the one who made the mistake (or hit, whatever you want...). As for Galvatron, I bet the color scheme was also before the cartoon. Let's call it a color trial. So the artist wasn't satisfied with the colors on the original Galvatron, so let's shuffle...

I remember as a kid that I was disappointed when I saw at a store a Megatron. Too small and the legs too thin for the baddest guy ever. But hey, Megs is Megs and now, being older, I really appreciate how sophisticated is its design.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
megaprime
Powermaster

Thanks!

Post by megaprime »

Yep, I just didn't figure out the toys were produced actually before the cartoon.
Plus, I have to say the toy design of Megatron is sublime! It's amazing to let an ordinary pistol transform to a robot in the first place.
G1 Transformers,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

don't forget that production of the movie started way before 86, so none of those characters had been designed yet. and it is unlikely that the movie crew and toy design exchanged notes much during the process, i'd be suprised if galvatron was even conceptualized as a toy when he was storyboarded for the movie.
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

Galvatron wrote:I know it's cheezy how they made Ironhide and Ratchet but this is how I solved that problem for me. I just surfed up a pic of the Ironhide bust
took the head and printed the head a bunch of different sizes
Once I found the most accurate size of head I went to "Paint" and customized it to look like Ratchet as good as I can.
Then I used clear scotch tape and taped the heads on. They also fold down when transformed into vans. Then I noticed the arms hang too low so I just turned them upwards.
The reason for the "Non-existing heads" is unknown but the 2 characters are drawn that in the first few comic books of the olden days. I think that funny looking sticker is supposed to be the face (see pic 3)

Those heads look amazing.
Blitzwing_83

Worst transformer EVER~!

Post by Blitzwing_83 »

Well for one yes iron hide and ratchet blow the big one. But Ive been collecting transformers ever since I was literally 1 year old. My 1st xmas in 84' my dad bought me bluestreak and wheeljack which I still have today. Anyways I was like 4 or 5 when I BROADSIDE man is this the crapiest transformer let alone triple changer ever made. I wanted him so bad cuz I thought he was so cool on the show so I begged my mom for a week to take me to KB's toy store to get him. I bought him and took him home and O man a retard could transform him in under a minute. They could have figured a way to make him a little better. :twisted: [/b]