Energon Reviews

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Energon Reviews

Post by Time Traveller »

Hey all. I decided it was time to put down the M1 Carbine, hang up the keys to the P-38 Lightning (this all adds up to putting away battlefield 1942), and stimulate some discussion here for the new year. Since we've got twenty pages of alternators review and discussion in Classics, I think we're beginning to ignore some of the cool Energon that are hitting the shelves. Now I know there are some G1 purists here, but even I appreciate the remniscent designs of some of these new TF's. I will note such, as I review my way through the Energon lineup. I'll also tell you if there are castings I think stink (EN Optimus Prime :cry: ). So. I'll start with one of my favourites. Please feel free to list your own comments and opinions!

Energon Omega Supreme
I'd rate him like this:
Styling:9/10
Transformation: 7/10
Alt mode: 8/10
Coolness of "gimmicks": 9/10
This is one to pick up. i love the asymetric styling, with plenty of cues referring to the original omega. remember how in the TV shows you could see the faint visage of his face and blue eyes behind the orange? yeah, they did that perfectly! the big red chestplate, the three clawed hand, the bulky form, all present. his alt mode is a bit of a deviation to the original, but i like it nonetheless. the destroyer half is very cool. the synchronized cannons add a touch. they went minimal on the missle launchers, which i like. here's the cool part: he's a headmaster! the head, transformed, looks like a mini-omega. well done. and, the stump of his neck lifts to reveal eyes and a pseudo-head. i wish i could do that. now the downsidedes. he combines with EN Op Prime, whose casting i hate. they didn't make too many extra considerations, so this doesn't affect my rating much. the lights and sounds are OK, but the fact that he requires 2 AAs gets to me. but there are worse electronic TFs around. mine lives without batteries. this is the -1 to coolness. His transformation is solid, of medium complexity, but easy to master. there is a great deal of posability in either mode. oh, and the claw-arm extends like a crane, and locks into place for robot mode. very cool.
Overall: 9. So close to G1, he kinda hits that soft spot in me.... I'm almost temted to buy the mold flog, Omega Sentinel.

*picks random EN toy out of box*

Energon Landmine
Styling: 10/10
Transformation: 8/10
Alt mode: 9/10
Coolness: 9/10
One of my faves. Excellent styling with attention to detail. the paint job on the mine detonator even has smears of mine blasts on it. the truck mode is well rendered, but he looks weak without the back half attached. robot mode is proportionate, and the gun station is neat. also, when he links to the backpack and claws in robot mode, it actually adds to his appearance. If any of you are familiar with the original landmine, a pretender, his face is very similar... but this, i'd say, is an improvement. the sounds are alright, and don't require huge batteries. the transformation is solid, and leaves nothing to be desired.again,
Overall: 9. a revamp of a less classic G1, but even as an original, very cool.

and i might as well get this out of the way.

Energon optimus prime
Styling: 2
Trans. : 4
Alt: 2
Coolness: 1
Blech. my least favourite optimus prime. in robot mode, he looks pot-bellied and disproportionate. he has chicken legs and skinny feet. his transformation is average, but his entire chest cavity is devoured by a large module to produce ear-shredding, annoying noise. the trailer is a large rhombus with cheap-looking vehicles stored in it. they combine with him, making him looks like a rainbow-colored power rangers megazord or something. and that doesn't change the fact that his ugly trailer DOESN'T DO ANYTHING. Not to mention the colours. any worse and there'd be a recall concerning epileptic seizures between that and the sound.
Overall: 2. Blech. Unless you're a completist, don't get this one.

Well, there's my recommendations for now. TT out.
jedi77

Post by jedi77 »

I agree with you on the Energon Optimus Prime. I was disappointed with his overall look too especially that horrible trailer! On the other hand, I really like the Energon Megatron. He is tall, colorful and very opposing looking when compared to most of the other Energon Transformers. Well, except for Unicron... :D
Shanti418
Powermaster

Post by Shanti418 »

I have Rodimus, Prowl, Scorponok, Megatron, and Starscream.

Screamer's a great little figure, and Megatron is awesome: great robot and alt modes, plus a straightforward tranformation and great head sculpt.

Rodimus and Prowl were okay.
Scorponok too.

I also have Shockblast MISB. I can't bear to open him: he looks so nice.

I'm willing to sell any of these (except Megatron) if anyone's interested.
So, in Transformers, Les Claypool is God?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

megatron is a good'un. i agree with what you all said, and i like the touch that his weapon looks like a husked-out version of his armada self, implying that he got bigger and better. very cool. though his chest sculpt in particular is very VERY galvatron. weird. well, here's what i give him.
Style: 8
Trans.: 9
Alt mode:8
Coolness: 8
A very good megatron after all is said and done. the sounds are a little...er... energon-ish, but they are at least contained in the tank, so the robot is unharmed. it's good that they focused on one cool alt mode. Death from above, anyone? A good EN choice, especially if you get him on after-xmas clearance! ;)