I'm bored. Someone talk to me about 1984 TFs.

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

I'm bored. Someone talk to me about 1984 TFs.

Post by Time Traveller »

*yells into the long echoing halls* hallooooo!
who thinks the 1984 chars were the coolest? the 1984 autobot cars are unmatched, i think, even by most alternators. that, and someone should say something. i'm getting lonely.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Yeah
My favorite '84 vehicle has gotta be Jazz
He is very poseable and is the only one with that unique transformation.
Bluestreak, Prowl & Smokescreen are similar but not exact.

Todays transformers may have the same name but will never equal the excellence of their ancestors.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

that's something else that bothers me. they don't come up with good names anymore, they just reuse old ones. how many "prowls" have there been? Sideswipe is one of my personal faves. see sig. :P
jedi77

Post by jedi77 »

I don't mind the reusing of names if the new Transformer is similar to the G1 one he's getting his name from. One out now that really bugs me is "Downshift". Why the heck wasn't he called "Wheeljack"? The colors, the face are all like the Wheeljack of old. I also was left scratching my head as to why the RID Grimlock was a steamshovel? To me, that name should always be attached to a T-Rex looking robot. (Well, I do like the Mustang Alternator.)
As for a favorite G1, that would have to be Soundwave.
Shanti418
Powermaster

Post by Shanti418 »

I was always a big fan of the Trailbreaker/Hoist mold.

Here's a question I've always had: What's the rhyme and/or reason to some of these original car molds being released as repaints and some not? Why wasn't there a repainted Mirage, but there was a repainted Ratchet, for instance?
So, in Transformers, Les Claypool is God?
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

I think that the Transformers at their best is 1984.

We see only realistic stuff in that lineup: For the Autobots, all are cars we can see on the real life (I was going to say on the streets, but I haven't seen yet a Porsche 935 or a Lancia Stratos), and they were, well, cars, not planes, nor tanks, nor other things that Decepticons had. Besides, they have a clear hierarchy, the only truck is Optimus Prime, the others are cars. And cool cars. The characters also are my favorites on that year. Ironhide, Jazz, Prime,.

The Decepticons were things to wreack havoc. If not war stuff, spy devices due to Soundwave. And the "animal cassetes" were genuine beasts, they didn't talk, just act. Clearly they were up for the "kill them quick" motto. The bad guys were the worst. And here my favorite Decepticons too: Thundercracker, Skywarp, Starscream, Megs, Soundwave and in the show was already Shockwave. Definately the best for me.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
megaprime
Powermaster

Tracks

Post by megaprime »

Technically, I think Tracks is the best-looking car in terms of colour and shape. Jazz and Prowl are also cool. Hold on! This just reminded me, I ain't got Prowl, damn!
G1 Transformers,
the incredible creatures,
nothing else can be better,
WE LOVE THEM FOR EVER.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

ratchet's recolour/remold is ironhide!
some of them were nto remolded because they were specific cars. there was only one car like mirage, jazz, and wheeljack, and that is what you got. some of the others had remolds in Diaclone. for example, sunstreaker had a police version, with a light bar, that is why there are two holes drilled into the canopy.
oh, and i'm deleting irrelevant posts.
Jose

Post by Jose »

I think I have seen, but only in the Diaclone line, a Marlboro Wheeljack. That's a 100% a repaint with no alterations in casting at all (for example: Sirens added to make Ratchet).

I'm still puzzled on why Corvettes are so exciting for kids. Yes, I like them too, but not to drive me crazy...I often hear comments on how cool Tracks is. To me, Japanese cars are the best, but that's just me.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

and to me italian exotics are top dog, but i think vettes are popular because they're easier to own than a $100k lamborghini. there WAS a marlboro wheeljack in Diaclone, but not in real life. Alitalia was the only team to race the stratos turbo. There was also a red version of mirage, still with the Ligier/Gitanes (Citanes was a purposeful mispelling for licensing, so was "Alitalla" and "Marlboor") but there was no red car in real life. there IS a repaint of Tracks, called "Road Rage." i think it is some exclusive. it is the same red as the diaclone red vette.
Shanti418
Powermaster

Post by Shanti418 »

Awesome. Thanks much for your insight, TT.
So, in Transformers, Les Claypool is God?
Jose

Post by Jose »

The red Tracks was a regular issue for Transformers in the European market. I have seen it packaged with the Milton Bradley label.

I had no idea that the Marlboro Stratos nevers existed. Gee, I recall many toy Lancias on that livery that I was swearing it was real. However, I think really existed though a plain red model, after all, they had to make the Stratos to normal production to meet the requirements to compete in rally racing.

As for Corvettes, I think that a Corvette worths 70k. Not a big difference with a Italian Sportscar IMO.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

i think there may have been marlboro rallye stratos... i may be backwards. i'll research it asap. and a NEW vette only runs $50k... an older one can be obtained for much less. and $70k is a low end price for an italian exotic.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

AGAIN, I apologize for my bassackity-ness. There WAS a marlboro stratos turbo, #598, and #21. there are more replicas of these cars than there were actual type V race cars. however, none of stratos' rallye program took place under marlboro's flags.

.... I still know everything, just forget sometimes.