Why some (G1) trans never became toys?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Laplace

Why some (G1) trans never became toys?

Post by Laplace »

Anyone have any official (or speculative) reasons why there were never toys made of:

- Alpha Trion
- Female autobots (official ones. I know some have made custom Arcees. What would've Alita-1 changed into?)
- Quintessons
- Unicron (until Armada. I mean, come on, with the movie and all you'd think they would TRY to make a toy of him)
- Vector Sigma (ok, so a big ball isn't very exciting)
- A real Skyfire (not a Veritech knock-off. I know it was because of licensing reasons but those must've expired by now. Also, he mysteriously disappeared once the Arialbots came on the scene)
- Spike's exotsuit (probably because Spike or Daniel would come with it)
- Autobot Spike (speaking of Spike)

Granted, some of the above didn't transform, and it would be lame to have a robot with "Transformers" on the label that didn't do so; and some of them are lame. Still, I would think that for some of the above, it would make sense to make them. And some of them would actually been cool rather than make one of Wheelie (the Jar Jar Binks of Transformers)
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Hi and welcome to the board.

Going to your questions: Transformers, as a series, was created based on existing toys from multiple Japanese creations. They are, mainly, Diaclone (for the cars, jets, insecticons and dinobots) and Microman (for Megs, Soundwave, Perceptor, the cassettes, etc.). Jetfire was designed as a Macross valkyrie even before Macross existed. But the owner went bankrupt, the molds were in behold of Bandai and almost ready for being a Transformer, but Macross had the designs. As a result, they could issue a valkyrie with Autobot symbols and a rounded nosecone with the Jetfire name, but couldn't make it for the character; hence they distorted it enough to make it urecognizable and survive to the lawyers.

For the others, at Hasbro should have thought that those wouldn't sell. However, there exists Spike, which is part of Fort Max.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl