Soundwave Question

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

EMAG

Soundwave Question

Post by EMAG »

I have noticed some people refer to various versions of Soundwave being "pre-rub." The distinguishing fact is that a "pre-rub" version has a regular decepticon sticker on his chest. However, upon looking at old instruction scans, it clearly states in the last cell that Soundwave came with a rub sticker. In the instructions though, a regular sticker is present on his chest. So, did the location of the rub sticker change, or was one never really present in some versions?
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

there was originally a SW without any rub sign. i have one. all 84 transformers have a pre rub.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

My Soundwave was missing its original door, and now it has a replacement.

With this I want to explain that, unless you come across a MISB item, it's very hard to tell if a figure is authentic pre-rub, a it's just a sticker that can be easily removed and replaced, not mentioning that the pieces can be also mixed. I have seen quite some Soundwaves, and they have different copyright stamps (it lasted 3 years in production, unlike most figures), but I've never been able to tell which ones are for sure pre-rub sign. Following logic, I'll say the early ones say only "Takara", then they were changed to "Hasbro-Takara", as it is easier to add things on a mold - some figures which have deleted stamps, like Hubcap, have a rectangle concealing those places.

However, not everything seems to be logical to Hasbro.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
EMAG

Post by EMAG »

Jose,
You seem to be correct; the Soundwave I have reads the following on the battery cover: "TAKARA CO., LTD. '74, '83 JAPAN"

Post by Guest »

Just to add my 2 cents, the originals came without the rub signs. Soon after bootlegs of the figures started showing up. Hence Hasbro/Takara came up with the rub signs which where crystals that reacted to heat and made them genuine figures of their company's toyline.