Transformers "Generations". What's your take?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Hilarious!!!

it don't matter how much candy I give Mrs. Galvatron. Nor does it matter if i buy her a puppy either. She wants one for Christmas this year.

*insert suicide emoticon here*
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

mickymac wrote:Transformers "Generations". What's your take?
Galvatron wrote:Image

Hilarious!!!
^This is what i saw when i clicked the link to start reading the last (4th) page of the thread instead of the first. i'm guessing that Galvatron was responding to something on the 3rd page, not responding to the original post.

i've started reading this thread from the start a few times, but haven't read it all yet and haven't contributed myself because i don't have enough data (and some of the data in this thread is already outdated anyway). But, with the data i have now:
mickymac wrote:Transformers "Generations". What's your take?

I recently picked up a generations Darkmount (Straxus) from my local department store, and while I was lamenting just how few of these recent wave releases have arrived here in Australia, it got me wondering a couple of things:

1) is everyone else on the planet as excited as I am at getting to relive my childhood experience of going into a shop and wondering if that one TF I want will be on the shelf?

And

2) What does everyone else think about the Generations line? (personally I'm very excited about jazz and tracks coming out next year. But where is wheel jack?)
i agree with LD2062 about the hunt--when i want something (TF or otherwise), i just want it. i also know that i can't afford stuff at retail price (or even online discount stores); i'm mostly limiting myself to what few TFs i can find at the occasional yard sale or Goodwill or the like, and even that i torture myself for a long time deliberating over whether or not to actually buy it. So i usually go into toy stores (or toy sections of department stores) or online retailers knowing i'm not going to buy, just drool. i'm not a toy hunter; going to the store is like visiting the zoo, seeing the TFs caged MISB, and going online is like visiting a wildlife preserve, with the TFs in their natural habitat (be that a kid's playroom, a fan's staged battle scenes, or a collector's display case).

That being said, what i've seen of Generations looks cool, although some of it's cooler than others (most Cybertronian modes don't appeal to me as much as Terran disguise modes), plus i'm a little confused by the blurring boundaries between toylines (Generations, Classics, Power Core Combiners, and i think i've heard a few other names that i can't remember right now) and between continuities (G1, G2, IDW, War for Cybertron, live-action movies, Mini-Con-compatible).

i think the Darkmount toy looks cooler than the G1 Marvel character Straxus, although my TF comics collection is rather lacking, so i think i've only read one issue with Straxus, the only one i own, a reprint where he made the space bridge and killed a bunch of Decepticon red shirts (red paints? red decos?) trying to make it work. Someone more attached to that character than i am might have a different opinion of the toy, but then, someone more attached to the character might be even more enthused to finally see the character immortalized in 3D plastic.

For me, part of the appeal of TF figures is that they represent characters that i like (and/or characters who are at least relevant to the progression of stories that i like), but part of the appeal also lies in marvelling ((there's a pun there, i'm sure)) at the skillful engineering in designing a toy that looks good in however many configurations it's supposed to have, especially if there's a robot mode that's not a brick. Much as i like the G1 characters, i'll sometimes pass on authentic G1 toys and even the less expensive (and more intact and complete) G1 reissues because newer toys, either meant to represent the same character or homages to them, can be more appealing to me if they're more posable or whatever. Likewise, i've bought a number of TFs knowing little or nothing about the characters, because i thought the toys were cool. Generations seems to me to have a lot of G1 characters or G1 homages, made according to more modern toy design standards that make them more posable and therefore, to me, even more appealing than actual G1 figures.

P.S.--i like the look of the upcoming Optimus Prime inspired by G2 Laser Rod OP, and i especially appreciate that it looks like the toy design uses the actual truck's windshield as the robot chest, instead of elbbik (a word i just made up for "reverse kibble"). Wish they'd used Universe Spy Changer OP's G1-inspired deco instead of G2 Laser Rod OP's, though. Maybe that'll be a redeco they sell. i also like what i've seen of Perceptor--a decent TF even if you don't know the original G1 character OR the G1 toy, but an awesome update/homage--the no-mass-shifting-necessary alternate mode, the plausible shoulder cannon despite the radically different alternate mode, even the treads on his legs leftover from the G1 toy's Microman ancestry. i think i read on TFWiki that the toy will be redecoed as Reflector, which i don't think i would have thought of but totally works with the mold, so bonus points there, too.

P.P.S.--Gosh, imagine what i'd post if i had any real data. Did somebody say there's a Tracks and a Wheeljack!? i'll have to read this thread for real sometime...
Jazz wrote:I take it we've all seen Straxus, Skullgrin, and Red Alert, so I won't give my opinion on them.
Not me! i haven't seen them! Red Alert... before Sideswipe and Sunstreaker? And Skullgrin--seems like an odd choice to me, even more obscure than Darkmount/Straxus... Hmm, interesting...
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
--Rhymus (also known as STARS Commando 539, also known as transit)
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Sunstreaker was the first use of the mold, then Sideswipe. Now we have Red Alert. I have him ordered and will have him in about a week. Pumped.

I just picked up WFC Soundwave and HFD Breacher. Love both figures.

I "Sneak" in my TFs, so a site like Walmart.com is ideal for me. I can have the figures (I've done it with WFC Soundwave and I'm doing it with Red Alert) shipped directly to the store, free of charge. Since I work for Walmart, I can pick them up before/after work and take them home with me.. Gotta love it.
Silverbolt
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Silverbolt »

Sideways wrote:Sunstreaker was the first use of the mold, then Sideswipe. Now we have Red Alert. I have him ordered and will have him in about a week. Pumped.

I just picked up WFC Soundwave and HFD Breacher. Love both figures.

I "Sneak" in my TFs, so a site like Walmart.com is ideal for me. I can have the figures (I've done it with WFC Soundwave and I'm doing it with Red Alert) shipped directly to the store, free of charge. Since I work for Walmart, I can pick them up before/after work and take them home with me.. Gotta love it.
wait you can order them and have them shipped to the store??
I never knew that? does it come on the truck>?
does it charge shipping?
going to investigate.
maybe I can order in a jazz.
Wanted: Brainstorm.
Drewtube Amazing Adventures
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

Sideways wrote:Sunstreaker was the first use of the mold, then Sideswipe. Now we have Red Alert. I have him ordered and will have him in about a week. Pumped.
This is that Classics/Generations confusion i was talking about, isn't it? But are you sure they designed Sunstreaker first, and then Sideswipe?
Sideways wrote:I just picked up WFC Soundwave and HFD Breacher. Love both figures.
Who's Breacher? What's HFD? Oh, right--Hunt For Decepticons. What's the difference between that and the live-action movie continuity, again? and is HFD part of Generations?
One shall stand; one shall fall; and the one who stands shall help the one who falls to stand once again.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Classics 2.0 came out before Generations. They released Sunstreaker first. He was released with Prowl and Octane. There were several waves..

Generations is a continuation of Classics 2.0. It's simply under a new name.

HFD is it's own toyline, and is a part of the movie line.

Then we're gonna have reveal the shield. :roll:
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Sideways wrote:I "Sneak" in my TFs
And here I was thinking I was the only one. :lol:
Silverbolt wrote: wait you can order them and have them shipped to the store??
I never knew that? does it come on the truck>?
does it charge shipping?
going to investigate.
maybe I can order in a jazz.
Yes, Wal-Mart offers free site-to-store shipping from their website. You can even have it delivered to your workplace. Once it ships off you get a shipping confirmation e-mail and when it arrives at the store you also get a delivery confirmation e-mail letting you know it's there. I've bought online from them several times and usually takes around a week for most products to come in.
Sideways
Autobot Scientist

Post by Sideways »

Some things are shipped by Fedex, which will come DSOD to the store. Big things are usually sent via warehouse trucks.
Silverbolt
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Silverbolt »

Nothing I want is the site. Oh well
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

What is everyones take on Thunderwing?

It's my understanding he is out there and available for purchase. If I see him, I plan on picking him up, but if I don't I'll have to wait a longgg while. I think his robot mode looks awesome, and the vehicle mode looks pretty sweet as well.

Anyone have him? Like him - hate him - in the middle? Any thoughts?
Jazz
City Commander

Post by Jazz »

I don't have him, but I plan to get him when I see him. My only gripe- Should be Voyager size.
Jazz- Sub Commander, special ops leader, all around awesome bot.
Silverbolt
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Silverbolt »

Countdown wrote:What is everyones take on Thunderwing?

It's my understanding he is out there and available for purchase. If I see him, I plan on picking him up, but if I don't I'll have to wait a longgg while. I think his robot mode looks awesome, and the vehicle mode looks pretty sweet as well.

Anyone have him? Like him - hate him - in the middle? Any thoughts?
I love him. nice figure. but as said could do with being larger.
Silverbolt
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Silverbolt »

generations FTW

my full wfc set caught in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQSc82Fp3Qw

:D
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Very nice, Silverbolt!
I really hope I'll be able to get more of the Generations/wfc figures!
Computron
Gestalt Super Warrior

Post by Computron »

Just got the newest issue of the Transformers collectors club magazine in the mail and the free figure for members this year is Classic's Rodimus, repainted as Sideburn.
http://www.transformersclub.com/sideburn11.cfm

Other figures for purchase are G2 Ramjet(classic Dirge)
http://www.transformersclub.com/ramjet11.cfm

a repaint of Blurr as Cheetor

http://www.transformersclub.com/ttcheetor11.cfm

The other two are discounted to TFCC members. By like $40 or so. (They make you pay to be a member when you buy them if you are not already).
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Ramjet looks amazing. Very tempting. Not sure about the Cheetor - nice, but not my type of fig.
Rhymus
City Commander

Post by Rhymus »

Interesting figures, Computron--thanks for sharing. Are these considered Generations, though?

Come to think of it, are any exclusives considered part of a particular TF toyline?

Also, it bothers me that they don't have actual photos of Cheetor/Blurr. Cheeturr? Bleetor transforms into a sheep, i think... ;-)
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

STARS Commando 539 wrote:Bleetor transforms into a sheep, i think... ;-)

Dirge would know the answer to that.

Dirge?
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

bleetor happens to be the commander of my army of robosheep

any smartass comments and i will unleash the army of sheepicons on you :lol:
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

eye eye ddddiiiiirrrgggggyyyyyyyyyy

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520