Help with cleaning up chrome on Jetfire

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Help with cleaning up chrome on Jetfire

Post by Optimus Maximus »

I got a complete jetfire in over all good condition but it has one problem. The chrome or bare metal parts are corroded. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Jetfire also? If so does anyone have any ideas how to clean it up? Here is a pic of the upper hip joint. You can notice its turning green and flaking.
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

I've had that problem with metal pieces too. Also on screws and pins. THe screws normally rust, but the pins almost look like they mold.

I've not found anything to really clean it. I've found goo gone can take some of it off. But not all by any means.

I've actually used goo gone to clean out the battery compartments after the batteries leaked. It even still works afterward like 75% of the time.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

If it's battery acid related corrosion, the usual recommendation is to use baking soda, with enough water to make it muddy, and scrub it. That LOOKS like battery acid corrosion, but I have no idea why it would be on a non-electronic toy!
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

It doesn't need to have been in contact to batteries, but maybe to another metal part. That's storage damage. On the solution, try what TT said.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

When TT and Jose agree about toy-related topics, the laws of physics will bend to make sure they are not both wrong :P
The universe fears our combined knowledge! :lol:
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
greatshot
Targetmaster

Post by greatshot »

Time Traveller wrote:That LOOKS like battery acid corrosion, but I have no idea why it would be on a non-electronic toy!
I Agree! Looks like battery acid corrosion, commonly found in trypticons and omega supreme's. I have had several jetfire's with this problem, I do own 12 of them.... The takatoku macross valkyries have the same problem..

My guess is that they used some copper in the chrome coating/metal.
Copper+air+water(moist) -> corrosion (electrical current).

In the "current day" toy's copper is used less to none.. In the good al days it was used a lot.