The Boxing

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Countdown
Micromaster Commander

The Boxing

Post by Countdown »

I have underwent a sad disservice to my collection recently.... I boxed all of them up. :cry:

I just recently moved from one apartment to another, and I must say... seeing my collection all boxed up, just didn't seem right. Seeing the display cabinets empty was almost just as bad. Didn't look right at all.

The one benefit to boxing all of them up was that I had easy access for dusting thoqe sheves. Man did it need it! :lol:

Also, after placing them back on the shelves, I couldn't get myself to put them all back. It was too crowded. I am definitely going to have to save for a new display cabinet. I just can't get myself to cram them back into the shelves from which they came.

Lucky enough for me, most of mine were freed from there bubblewrapped cardboard prison within a week. Anyone else have to box them all up? Something similar? :?:
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

That all sounds very similar to me. My collection (transformers) lived inside my dresser for an eternity until I bought a new house. The G.I. Joes stayed out in the shop boxed up and forgotten. :cry: Now that we've moved I have an extra room "office" devoted to my collections and I've went to extreme lengths to make sure none of it looks crowded...or any figs overshadow another. Just now got my Boulder Hill playset on display after finding an end table at a yard sale for $5 today...so now I'm rather pleased having finally pulled it out of the closet. Also I feel 'ya on the dusting issue. My wife wrote all kinds of hints in the dust on my shelving unit until it finally got dusted. :lol:
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

We were going to put the colleciton in our 'office' (read: guestroom), but the girlfriend wanted them in the living room. :shock: I think I am wearing her down! :D I knew she secretly liked them! :lol:

My display cabinets are a dark wood (ok fake wood, not solid wood, but it looks nice) with clear windows in the front. You'd think w/ the windows I would have seen the dust piling higher. Either way it probably still would have taken us moving to get it fully dusted out. :oops: LOL

I still have all of my minicars, micromasters and other smaller g1s to display. That is probably about 2-300 figures. I can't believe I crammed them into the cabinets in the first place.

I thought of taking pictures of the collection all sealed in boxes, and then I was thinking: 'Who wants to look at pictures of brown boxes taped up?' and then I was thinking, 'It doesn't matter, I am too lazy to take the pictures anyway!' :lol:
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

I had to build an extra room in my house for my collection. Mrs. Galvatron don't want them all over the house. Neither do I. Too many mini-cons and friends come and go at my house.

I have a wall dedicated with shelfs end to end, top to bottom.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

I think we all deal with mini-cons, friends and relatives passing through either eyeballing our collections out of curiosity, pity or disgust. It takes a special breed of person to come through and actually appreciate what you have...most have heard of the "brand" but couldn't name no more than maybe the leader characters if asked. As far as walls go....all 4 of mine are consumed. :lol: From bookcases to multiple shelves to glass cabinets to multiple end tables and even thumbtacks for all the MIP's...at least I've avoided overcrowding so far and have kept them to one room of the house.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Believe it or not, TT's mighty collection estimated at 1700 toys (counting Micromaster patrols as ONE each), spends most of its time in boxes. Paper mill boxes to be exact, the kind that hold 16 reams of paper. The boxes alone chronicle my current employer since the 1980's til now. I have two bookcase shelf thingies, with a capacity of 1-2 boxesworth, depending on how I cram it, or who's in the boxes. For scale, one year of G1 transformers takes about 1 box (the boxes are either 10 or 16 ream size), with 1988 being the closest to overfull (bulky pretenders), and Fort Max resides in a giant rubbermaid casket in my closet. I rotate the contents of my shelves at varying periods, depending on how quickly I get bored of playing with whoever's out.
The boxes make two opposing walls in the basement, about 8 feet long on either side, and ceiling high. They are all on shelves or use a plastic tote for a stack base in case of sump pump failure/flooding.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

I keep most of my collection boxed as well. If I had a bigger place I'd definitely put more of it on display, but since that's not currently the case, they're going to have to stay in those boxes ...for now anyway.
Unfortunately all the boxes take up a lot of space, so at the moment my living room looks a bit like a storage room (to the dismay of my friends and family). :P
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

My poor mom suffers with most of my collection at her house. They are stuck in boxes :cry: I see them when i visit and have time. I hope to take some out this thankgiving and take a video of them.

I would have much more room here and my moms if i collected loose figures. They probably would only take up 1/2 the space
PETER IS GOD!Image
Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

all mine are on display all the time :twisted:

i have a 15ft x 15ft room decicated to my collections ( TFs = 1 wall britains = 2 1/2 walls and other stuff = 1/2 a wall )

:twisted:
Dai Atlas
Gestalt Team Leader

Post by Dai Atlas »

I have most of my stuff boxed now as well, the only thing out is Generations, MOTUC, and Joes.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
-John Lennon
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

My collection spent a few months boxed because I moved. But, I was lucky enough that it happened right before the earthquake. If they had been on the shelves I probably would be starting all over again.

Now they are back in the shelves, but I got some fishing line (which I still don't set up as I have lots of work to do on the new place).
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

You're giving them all climbing harnesses made out of fishing line? That's... brilliant... and awesome... and as 'Jack and I would say....

HARDCORE.

+100 to Jose for most innovative anti-disaster toy protection.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Time Traveller wrote:You're giving them all climbing harnesses made out of fishing line? That's... brilliant... and awesome... and as 'Jack and I would say....

HARDCORE.

+100 to Jose for most innovative anti-disaster toy protection.
Thanks. Actually, I'll set up a "fence" in front of the shelves with fishing line. Almost every liquor store uses that here - being such a seismic country, you have to live with the idea of having earthquakes often.

Although most precautions seem to vanish with time, and as most fierce quakes happen every 25 years, many seem to forget.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
The Last Autobot
City Commander

Post by The Last Autobot »

When I moved, I had about 4 Transformers, so they sat on my lap when we drove to the new house, and they actually had a real place to be stored.