HELP!!!!

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Inturnmike

HELP!!!!

Post by Inturnmike »

Hey, guys! I have an original Ironhide in need of some Ratchetesque repair. Does anyone have some good ideas on how to make the joints tighter at the ankles and at the elbows of the figure itself? I have tried screwing it in tighter but that doesn't seem to do anything? Also how to make the missle launcher tighter in it's extendable post? Thanks!
*scream

Post by *scream »

A lot of kitbashers use small amounts of Krazy Glue to tighten joints. All it really does though is fill up some of the space that is a result of excessive wear. Make sure not to let the glue stick the joints together, if this happens just use a small amount of nail polish remover to dissolve it. It is diluted enough to not damage the paint badly like paint thinner. Still be careful with it though, you wouldn't want to hurt Ironhide.
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

I am all against using glue on joints. I have been ripped off twice with that. It ruins the figure permanently, because it melts the plastic, deforms it and adds some sort of scum which will keep the joint tighter with a nasty look.

I prefer to use a reversable method which won't alter/ruin the figure when it leaves your hands or if you want to have it unaltered later: I place thin pieces of paper between the parts. It's very cheap, it won't harm anything and you can take it back later, and the best, works. The jets I have, which have been altered with glue, after a while started to swivel again in the cockpit part, while those with papers don't.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Inturnmike

Post by Inturnmike »

Ok, but how do you get the posts off without permanently damaging the figure? His feet just have those little "posts" (look like very tiny nails without heads) completely in the ankles. How do you get them back on as well?
Jose

Post by Jose »

The rivets on its ankles can be removed with a nail and a hammer, by hitting its base from the inner side (outside, the rivet's head completes the wheel rim) and GENTLY hit it, with weak hits and repeteadly. You have to be patient to do this. I have thightened seeker jet's cockpits this way and it's reversable.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Jose

Post by Jose »

That's a very poor propaganda you make there...
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Yeah, I thought restricting posting privelages to registered users would stop these recent spam problems.
RD_Blade

Post by RD_Blade »

To tighten joints, I've heard some people use clear nail polish. I imagine it's reversible too... becuase you can gently scratch it off.

Oh and NEVER use nail polish remover on plastic. It makes plastic pliable.
RD_Blade

Post by RD_Blade »

Heh... I see my post count was never restored. Stupid hackers...
Jose

Post by Jose »

RD_Blade wrote:To tighten joints, I've heard some people use clear nail polish. I imagine it's reversible too... becuase you can gently scratch it off.

Oh and NEVER use nail polish remover on plastic. It makes plastic pliable.
That's what's crashing on my head... Nail polish?? I use it to remove paint from metal bodies; as soon it touches plastic it ruins it completely.

By th way, if you remember how many posts you had you can ask an admin to restore them, or just post more often. :)
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl