G1 Soundwave Repair

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Red Hope
Targetmaster

G1 Soundwave Repair

Post by Red Hope »

Has anybody done any G1 Soundwave repairs? I was thinking about selling my G1 Soundwave, but I've looked at a few around ebay. Mine actually looks to be in good shape. Mine only has the issue with the tape deck door. It looks like the hinge broke on the inside and won't automatically open when I hit the eject button.

Has anybody ever popped the door off and replaced it with another one? I've never seen a working one so I have no idea what it's like or how easy. I worry about breaking it further - Soundwave is my favorite and lives on my nightstand. lol But, I was thinking about buying a junker off ebay and commandeering its door. Unless somebody has a door or a junker with a working door?

Here's my Soundwave, and it shows the tape deck door issue:
http://cid-ce74e0db4872d310.office.live ... 5E_862.jpg

Picture #6, #7, & #8 shows the door issue.

Cries and screams are music to my ears.
-Soundwave
Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Optimus Maximus »

I read somewhere that its pretty hard to get that door off. Best bet would be to buy a loose junker with a good door but maybe a broken leg or something similar and replace the entire body. Its not hard to do. I took my Soundwave completely apart when I got him and gave him a scrub down and reassembled him. I tried to get the door off but gave up in fear of breaking it. Hope this helps.
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
Red Hope
Targetmaster

Post by Red Hope »

Optimus Maximus wrote:I read somewhere that its pretty hard to get that door off. Best bet would be to buy a loose junker with a good door but maybe a broken leg or something similar and replace the entire body. Its not hard to do. I took my Soundwave completely apart when I got him and gave him a scrub down and reassembled him. I tried to get the door off but gave up in fear of breaking it. Hope this helps.
That definitely helps a lot!

I didn't think it'd be as simple as popping the door right in there. I imagine there's some kind of spring load setup for the door to work with the eject button. I'll have to google whether or not somebody has a step-by-step tear down of him.

Thank you for the help. :D

-Soundwave
Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

Post by Optimus Maximus »

I was able to get the springs and such out its just that the door is kind of a tight fit and dont give much room to move it so you have to bend it and you take a big chance at breaking it like the one you have now. I need to get a new Soundwave cause mine leans forward and I cant stand to see him slouched over like he is. I think I'm gonna get a reissue this time.
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
Red Hope
Targetmaster

Post by Red Hope »

Optimus Maximus wrote:I was able to get the springs and such out its just that the door is kind of a tight fit and dont give much room to move it so you have to bend it and you take a big chance at breaking it like the one you have now. I need to get a new Soundwave cause mine leans forward and I cant stand to see him slouched over like he is. I think I'm gonna get a reissue this time.
If those little Japanese women can assemble it, I better figure out how too! lol Watch me ruin like three junkers' doors just to fix my one... that sounds like the perfect blond idea. :lol:

Yours hunches over too? Mine is a little hunchy, but he's not too bad. Maybe you have the right idea about reissue!

-Soundwave
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

I would like to repair mine also but I'm not brave enough to tackle the door. The only problem with the door is the button is very hard to press. The legs however are very loose and he slouches also. I attempted to repair a Sky Lynx that was real loose and ended up making a mess of him. I applied a small coat of silicon inside some joints and now he is stuck together.
Red Hope
Targetmaster

Post by Red Hope »

Blaster wrote:I would like to repair mine also but I'm not brave enough to tackle the door. The only problem with the door is the button is very hard to press. The legs however are very loose and he slouches also. I attempted to repair a Sky Lynx that was real loose and ended up making a mess of him. I applied a small coat of silicon inside some joints and now he is stuck together.
Aaaw! I feel for your Sky Lynx. They can be damaged so easily despite you're trying to fix them.

I'm really thinking about buying a junker one just to test the waters. I have my eyes on a few on ebay. I'd like to do a step by step tear-down walk-thru for other TF collectors. It seems a broken tape deck is all too common. :(

-Soundwave
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Red Hope wrote:
Blaster wrote:It seems a broken tape deck is all too common. :(
Tell me about it...My problem is with G1 Blaster not Soundwave. His tape deck is stuck in the closed position and despite the numerous tutorials out there on how to fix this I still haven't mustered up the courage to take mine apart yet....hmmm....perhaps when I pick up another with a working tape deck then I shall attempt the operation in case something goes dreadfully wrong.
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

Yeah my blaster tape deck is stuck too. I can wiggle it and loosen it up and get it open but the button is useless.
Bumblebee
Espionage Recon Leader

Post by Bumblebee »

To know others you must know yourself first!

The bigger they are the bigger thud they make when they fall!!!

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... 9520#89520
Blaster
Targetmaster

Post by Blaster »

awesome. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
curch
Throttlebot

Post by curch »

I just purchased a huge G1 collection and all the stuff is in awesome shape and complete with everything but the box. But my Soundwave tape door is broken also :(
For all your vintage toy needs check out

http://stores.ebay.com/CURCHS-VINTAGE-TOY-PARADISE
Red Hope
Targetmaster

Post by Red Hope »

curch wrote:I just purchased a huge G1 collection and all the stuff is in awesome shape and complete with everything but the box. But my Soundwave tape door is broken also :(
Ugh. It's such a common issue. I haven't had a chance to hunt down and purchase a soundwave with a good door. I need to do that....

-Soundwave