G1 Monstructor

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Red Hope
Targetmaster

G1 Monstructor

Post by Red Hope »

I'm on my last TFs in my inventorying fun. My Monstructor gestalts are... funky. Many of the rubber figures are getting sticky. They've been hibernating in Ziploc bags. Could they be reacting to that? My Wildfly is the worse with chickenpox (light spots on his body).

Any advice on how to help them? :?

Cries and screams are music to my ears.
-Soundwave
Red Hope
Targetmaster

Post by Red Hope »

FYI: For anybody that has a similar issue.

I did some trial & error with my Bristleback since he already needs replacing. I tried first a little adhesive remover, which I figured may be too much. It was and started removing the green paint from him. So my next idea worked well.

It seems that a pumice hand soap (like automotive mechanics have) worked perfectly. It cleaned off the sticky stuff without removing any of the paint or wearing it either. Hopefully that'll help anybody in the future that may come across the same trouble.

-Soundwave
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

This is a plague that affects ALL Monstructors. The plasticizer starts to degrade and work its way out of the rubber over time. As for the Wildfly pox, my Wildfly has had them since i got him in the mid 90's... he would have only been several years old, surely less than ten.
I HAVE discovered that humidity seems to accelerate the process. Mine got worse during a period when the dehumidifier broke down. I now store them with desiccant- that stuff in the packets that says "do not eat"... it sucks the moisture out of the air in their box. Mom works at a pharmacy, and all their medication comes packed with dessicant, so she collects it for me.
Red Hope
Targetmaster

Post by Red Hope »

Time Traveller wrote:This is a plague that affects ALL Monstructors. The plasticizer starts to degrade and work its way out of the rubber over time. As for the Wildfly pox, my Wildfly has had them since i got him in the mid 90's... he would have only been several years old, surely less than ten.
I HAVE discovered that humidity seems to accelerate the process. Mine got worse during a period when the dehumidifier broke down. I now store them with desiccant- that stuff in the packets that says "do not eat"... it sucks the moisture out of the air in their box. Mom works at a pharmacy, and all their medication comes packed with dessicant, so she collects it for me.
Thank you for the tip! I'll have to find some desicants to put in the packs. I did notice that the ziploc bags didn't have any sticky residue. They have been living in an environment where there's more up & down temperatures. I bet heat speeds up the process too.

Thanks again, Time Traveller. :)

-Soundwave