Question about Pepsi G1 Optimus Prime

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

sodadood

Question about Pepsi G1 Optimus Prime

Post by sodadood »

Hi all - I just joined this forum... I'm the editor of a magazine called The Soda Spectrum Series (dedicated to Pepsi collectors).

I'm currently working on a story about the re-issue of the G1 Optimus Prime Pepsi figure... my question is, does anyone out there know how the original Pepsi sponsorship came about? Was that G1 Optimus 'Pepsi' a limited release? If so, where was it available?

Anything that you might be able to pass along to me about the Pepsi Optimus release would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

I remember reading something about both of your questions, but didn't commit it to memory. I'll see if I can dig up the info!
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

As far as I remember, the Pepsi Primes where standard models with the addition of a Pepsi sticker,one in the box and the other was meant to be applied on the figure. I have seen this sticker in different spots in the trailer.

It was also some sort of gift for employees sons at Pepsi - I don't know how many were there, nor if this was sponsored by Hasbro. Hence, unless you know the provenance, is an item to watch for - it's very easy to fake.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

In J.E. Alvarez' 1999 book "the Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980's through 1990's, he simply states that the optimus pepsi promo was simply a regular optimus prime with a modified box and a pepsi sticker on either side of the trailer. there is a an image of his in the book i could scan in if you haven't seen one yet.