Variations

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Variations

Post by Jose »

Hello you all,

I recently realized that of a single model on a toy car, there are more than 6,000 variations. In Transformers, how many variantions are we talking about? I can tell the Transformer I know with most variants is the old Op', but my known varriants are far from 10. I remember that a friend got a Dirge, and the markings on his read "Takara", mine has "Hasbro, Takara". Counting even those differences you have a variant. Which TF has most?
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

Optimus Prime probably has the most variants. Even the G1 Prime has 7 variations that I know of. There were a lot of variants in 1986 when the movie came out--when they started switching from metal and rubber parts to all plastic parts (the predacons, ultra magnus, rodimus prime, etc.) I'd say it's safe to assume that most figures made prior to 1987 had at least one variant. After that, the number of variants cooled off.

It's amazing now many little things they changed in the early days though, I dont quite understand the need for all the variants..
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Re: Variations

Post by Jose »

It only helps to driving people crazy. Not my case, but I have a friend who is a completist and he is seeking variants, even if the difference is too small.
I'm content just with one version of each character.
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl