Collecting Headmasters

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Collecting Headmasters

Post by Roadbuster »

Ok. I've set a goal for myself for 2011 and that is to acquire all of the original G1 Headmasters ever produced. While I probably won't be able to land a complete Fort Max without mortgaging the house I won't sweat it too much if I can't get him this year. However I do plan on kicking things off by saving up for a complete Scorponok and getting him out of the way as quickly as possible. That leaves me clueless as in what order or priority I should go after the rest. I'd like to base it solely on the "coolness" factor and how much I like the way a certain fig looks. But I just want some opinions from fellow TFL'ers on certain ones to keep my optic sensors peeled for (complete) as I know certain accessories are probably harder to obtain for others if I don't get them 100%. Feel free to post a list in order of hardest/rarest - easiest/more common. Or just simply help me out by naming 1 or 2 that might have given you trouble acquiring. Thanks! :D
Jose
Diaclone General, Enemy of Waruder!

Post by Jose »

Headmasters are out of my league. But as for strategy, I always try to get the harder ones first. That would put Scorponok on the front (I think Fort Max can go to the end of the line). Also, are you planning on getting the US ones only, or also the Japanese versions?
Jose Miguel Vargas

www.diecastchile.cl
skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

Fort max is a killer and i still need him and Weird wolf and then Chromedome mib. Just buy what you really feel like and look for ones for a good price. Scorponok would be a good one to get out of the way because he is pretty awesome :D . I wouldn't be surprised if Takara reissues these soon because they are really in demand from collectors. Keep an eye out for deals on Ebay.
PETER IS GOD!Image
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

First, I'll answer Jose's question: US only. Jap exclusive headmasters (all the Jr.s) run in the range of a Fort Max. Also, they had the extra heads... those are a house-mortgaging expense.

Frankly, I'm not a monsters guy, so I'd go for the '87 Autobots first. They all have a lot of style and detail, their partners alone are masterwork. The '88 'Bots have their merits, but are a lot less badass than the'87s, IMHO. The '87 'Cons are likewise well-done, but being metal animals, aren't as far up my alley. The '88 'Con monsters are disproportionate and don't do it for me at all.

Piece by piece, Brainstorm is a favorite of mine, sentimentally and desgin-wise. Hosehead ranks high if you can find him complete. Skullcruncher is WAY oversimplified, Weirdwolf takes the cake for the 'cons.

ALSO. If you intend to have the Autobot Headmaster Jr's (1988) complete, do NOT buy them incomplete. You will pull every strand of hair from your scalp trying to piece them. Parts often run $20 each, especially the seats and pistols.

Have fun mortgaging your house, Headmaster prices have skyrocketed ! 8)
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

Headmasters are awesome.

If I were you Roadbuster, I'd go by this list...

SCORPONOK & Zarak
APEFACE & Spasma
SNAPDRAGON & Krunk
CHROMEDOME & Stylor
HARDHEAD & Duros
HIGHBROW & Gort
BRAINSTORM & Arcana
SKULLCRUNCHER & Grax
WIERDWOLF & Monzo
MINDWIPE & Vorath
FORTRESS MAXIMUS & Spike & Cerebros (etc..)

Then if it is in your budget, go for the 1988 and beyond.
Overlord
City Commander

Re: Collecting Headmasters

Post by Overlord »

Roadbuster wrote:Ok. I've set a goal for myself for 2011 and that is to acquire all of the original G1 Headmasters ever produced. While I probably won't be able to land a complete Fort Max without mortgaging the house I won't sweat it too much if I can't get him this year. However I do plan on kicking things off by saving up for a complete Scorponok and getting him out of the way as quickly as possible. That leaves me clueless as in what order or priority I should go after the rest. I'd like to base it solely on the "coolness" factor and how much I like the way a certain fig looks. But I just want some opinions from fellow TFL'ers on certain ones to keep my optic sensors peeled for (complete) as I know certain accessories are probably harder to obtain for others if I don't get them 100%. Feel free to post a list in order of hardest/rarest - easiest/more common. Or just simply help me out by naming 1 or 2 that might have given you trouble acquiring. Thanks! :D
This list will vary greatly if you decide to lump in the Japanese exclusive headmasters(autobot headmaster jr.s and the re-colors of Fort Max and Scorponok, named Grand Maximus and Black Zarak, respectively) into it, as any single one of them easily trumps their U.S. counterparts in terms of rarity/scarcity. Fort Max, while expensive, is not that rare, relatively speaking.

Take care however, as the 3rd Party KO manufacturer responsible for the KO combiners, etc. as of late have announced they will release all three Fort Max molds (Fortress Maximus, Grand Maximus, Brave Maximus) as early as this August. So, while this will lead to a possible drop in Fort Max prices, you will have to be extra vigilant if you are interested in getting an authentic Fort Max later rather than sooner.

I for one aim to get the grand max KO, but that is another discussion.

This list is based on primarily the "coolness" factor (at least to me) and rarity, though with higher premium on just how awesome the figure is as a Transformer. Personally I think you should track down the ones that appeal to you the most regardless of rarity, and then if you want to complete everything, get the rare ones. For example, in my experience Siren was difficult to find, but once procured I was pretty underwhelmed with it's drab paint scheme. Of course, the highest premium should go to ones that are awesome and rare at the same time.

0. Fortress Maximus
1. Scorponok
2. Snapdragon
3. Brainstorm
4. Apeface
5. Highbrow
6. Squeezeplay
7. Skullcruncher
8. Hardhead
9. Nightbeat
10. Weirdwolf
11. Mindwipe
12. Horri-bull
13. Hosehead
14. Chromedome
15. Siren
16. Fangry

Again, if you throw the japanese exclusive guys in there, the list is a bit different.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Re: Collecting Headmasters

Post by Roadbuster »

Thanks for all the input guys. :D I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't going to be pursuing the Japanese Exclusives or Jr. Headmasters though Minerva would be cool as hell. I've checked a few Ebay auctions for her (complete) and the prices are astronomical! :cry: Brave Max is out of the question too, though I would eventually like to own a Fortress Maximus (thanks for the heads-up on the reissue news Overlord.) but right now it's just not financially feasible.
Time Traveller wrote:Frankly, I'm not a monsters guy, so I'd go for the '87 Autobots first. They all have a lot of style and detail, their partners alone are masterwork. The '88 'Bots have their merits, but are a lot less badass than the'87s, IMHO. The '87 'Cons are likewise well-done, but being metal animals, aren't as far up my alley. The '88 'Con monsters are disproportionate and don't do it for me at all.

Piece by piece, Brainstorm is a favorite of mine, sentimentally and desgin-wise. Hosehead ranks high if you can find him complete. Skullcruncher is WAY oversimplified, Weirdwolf takes the cake for the 'cons.
Galvatron wrote:
If I were you Roadbuster, I'd go by this list...

SCORPONOK & Zarak
APEFACE & Spasma
SNAPDRAGON & Krunk
CHROMEDOME & Stylor
HARDHEAD & Duros
HIGHBROW & Gort
BRAINSTORM & Arcana
SKULLCRUNCHER & Grax
WIERDWOLF & Monzo
MINDWIPE & Vorath
FORTRESS MAXIMUS & Spike & Cerebros (etc..)

Then if it is in your budget, go for the 1988 and beyond.
Overlord wrote: This list is based on primarily the "coolness" factor (at least to me) and rarity, though with higher premium on just how awesome the figure is as a Transformer. Personally I think you should track down the ones that appeal to you the most regardless of rarity, and then if you want to complete everything, get the rare ones. For example, in my experience Siren was difficult to find, but once procured I was pretty underwhelmed with it's drab paint scheme. Of course, the highest premium should go to ones that are awesome and rare at the same time.

0. Fortress Maximus
1. Scorponok
2. Snapdragon
3. Brainstorm
4. Apeface
5. Highbrow
6. Squeezeplay
7. Skullcruncher
8. Hardhead
9. Nightbeat
10. Weirdwolf
11. Mindwipe
12. Horri-bull
13. Hosehead
14. Chromedome
15. Siren
16. Fangry
Thanks for taking the time to put together these lists fellas and also breaking them all down by their faction/release year TT. :wink: This input will definitely weigh heavily on my decision making process throughout the course of this year. The "coolness" factor always will take a degree of priority along with the number of accessories each one has and whether or not they appear for sale very often complete or not. I've been researching prices and none (US G1) seem too far out of reach other than the bases I'll have to save up for. I just have to watch out for those headmaster heads which have been KO'ed. :roll:
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

If you're going only for the 1987 Headmasters, you can expect 2 accessories, and a Nebulan, pretty much across the board.
Chromedome, Highbrow, Brainstorm, Hardhead: 2 guns (Brainstorm has a separate left and right)
Weirdwolf, Skullcruncher: Sword + Gun
Mindwipe: Gun only
Apeface: Gun + Shield/tailfins
Snapdragon (Forgot to mention him, he's very very cool... even for a Decepticon): 2 Tail fins (left and right are different!), 2 identical rifles
SentinelPrime
Autobot Legend

Post by SentinelPrime »

Don't forget the Masteforce Headmasters...the Jr. Headmasters, which includes Minerva.
THE PROTECTOR OF CYBERTRON
Countdown
Micromaster Commander

Post by Countdown »

Jr. Headmasters are cool. I think they look great. I have a 3 pack w/ Optimus, Chromedome, and Fort Max. Not very articulated. But, cool none-the-less.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

Countdown wrote:Jr. Headmasters are cool. I think they look great. I have a 3 pack w/ Optimus, Chromedome, and Fort Max. Not very articulated. But, cool none-the-less.
Wow! I didn't know such a 3-pack existed! On a related note...I've pretty much made it to Season 4 as far as collecting goes (bar a few minibots, a couple cassettes and Gnaw) so the Headmaster excursion will take place all Summer long this year. Ahhh, the joys of collecting.