light piping or no light piping?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

Optimus Maximus
Gestalt Warrior

light piping or no light piping?

Post by Optimus Maximus »

Although I love having light piping on my TFs, I wish Has/Tak would make up their mind and either give all figures light piping or none of them at all. I sit here now looking at BIS Cyclonus and his eyes looks so cool lit up in red while generations Scourge has his eyes painted and looks so plain next to Cyclonus. Anyway to get to the piont, does anyone else wish that Has/Tak would just make up their mind?

Edit: I guess I should have stated that the worst part is that Scourges eyes are piped and they PAINTED over them? What gives?
172 and counting. :)_
Newest addition to my collection: Generations Blitzwing
Looking for packaging for 20th Anni. Masterpiece Optimus Prime and his axe and Megatron gun. PM me if you have any of these at a reasonable price.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Re: light piping or no light piping?

Post by Roadbuster »

Light piping is cool as hell! I'm definitely in favor of them producing all of their Generations/RTS/Deluxe line characters to include this feature. It brings a realistic element to the toys that compliments them nicely!
Optimus Maximus wrote:Edit: I guess I should have stated that the worst part is that Scourges eyes are piped and they PAINTED over them? What gives?
Is there not a way to remove the paint without scratching the plastic underneath? Perhaps trim a fingernail file board down to the right size and even apply a dab of paint thinner or fingernail polish remover would do the trick?
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

Check and see if you can disassemble the head. If you can get that light channel separate its much easier to remove the paint. you could soak the whole piece in whatever cleaner you want to use.

Rubbing alcohol can take off paint without harming any plastic I've ever tried.
IDontThinkSoTim
Targetmaster

Post by IDontThinkSoTim »

I can't stand light piping. It looks okay (and just okay) if the light is at the right angle, and you look at the figure from the right angle. But the other 98% of the time it just looks like dark eyes.
"I don't think so, Tim."
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

I'm not a huge proponent one way or the other for light piping, but i understand your angst about the paint-overs. The safe way to remove the paint would be to disassemble the head to get the transparent eye piece alone, then soak it in either 92% alcohol or SuperClean (Formerly Castrol SuperClean). Then, a gentle brushing or so should clean it right up. SuperClean is a miracle chemical for de-painting plastics, and I've also used it to remove PERMANENT MARKER from toys. Check your automotive section... It comes in a big purple jug.

DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER OR ACETONE. IT WILL EAT YOUR PLASTIC SO FAST YOU WILL CRY.