Metroplex 1986 Unopened value?

Discuss any and all Transformers toys and merchandise here, from G1 to Kingdom and beyond!

Moderator: Jose

fudgevalley
Noob

Metroplex 1986 Unopened value?

Post by fudgevalley »

Hello dear transformers this is the reason I joined here because I found a Metroplex 1986 Takara unopened box is also in very good condition. (It is not the reissue) I am wondering what can it be worth? Or is it even worth anything?
LD2062
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by LD2062 »

Worth something? Oh, YES. Every scrap of vintage transformers stuff is worth something. I've seen USED sticker sheets sell. Certainly empty boxes and Styrofoam sell easy.

How much is much harder to say. Sealed usually commands a premium price. I've seen people ask thousands for a sealed one. But I don't know that they actually get that.

2 weeks ago on ebay a complete metroplex with packaging went for $200 USD and it was opened.

Before you open it or try to sell it you should wait for some of the boxed collectors to chime in. I really only buy and sell loose figures. I've never had a vintage sealed figure.

If I personally were trying to sell it this minute I would probably mark it $500 buy now or best offer on ebay + insured shipping costs. And I would expect it to take 3-6 months to sell. Somethings take even longer.

An auction would be quicker. But I would absolutely have a minimum bid or reserve of at least $150.

But the real problem is proving its: 1 vintage, 2 sealed, 3 complete (or even in the box at all). And that I cannot help you with.

Also I'm in the US, I don't know how the transformers market is in Sweden.
fudgevalley
Noob

Post by fudgevalley »

Ah thank you for your good and long reply. Well it was found in a storage with heaps of other stuff. Ofcourse I can see why it could be hard to sell, but I guess one could open the box and just take a picture of everything.

Concerning the price I am wondering if it would even be worth posting it on EBAY as it is because it is located in Sweden after all.

Also I was wrong about the year it is 1985 not 86 when I look at boxes on the internet it is the exact same box.
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

If you are planning to keep it for yourself then feel free to open it.
But if you plan to sale, keep that bad boy sealed. The second that box gets opened, it looses value.
fudgevalley
Noob

Post by fudgevalley »

fudgevalley
Noob

Post by fudgevalley »

Hmm will it loose value even though its just tape? Hmm Well Im quite curious opening it.
Time Traveller
Father Time (Admin)

Post by Time Traveller »

Yes, it will. Sorry! I also must stress what LD2062 said... Metroplex has been reissued and knocked off, so you'll need to provide evidence it's the real deal if you plan to sell it for a fair price.
Roadbuster
Ground Assault Commander

Post by Roadbuster »

That's a nice MISB Metroplex! Keep it sealed, though. If that is factory sealed tape and it's never been opened...the moment you do open it, the value plummets quite considerably. I also own a MIB Metroplex. I went and checked the side of my box that has never been opened and the tape used looks different also. Just curious as to why there would be three strands of scotch tape in the photo you provided stretching all the way to the front of the box? Also, why is the seam at the top of the box (looking at it from the back) sealed shut with tape? On mine it's sealed by factory adhesive.

Dirge
Decepticon Seeker
Location: Drinking pineapple juice while repairing the nemesis!!!

Post by Dirge »

i guess i should say something ( MIB collector from europe ) ...

something doesnt look right with the box to me ...

the top of the box ( as RB pointed out ) looks like its been split open and resealed with tape as no metroplex box ( original or otherwise ) has any sealing tape there, plus the factory sealing tape on european releases was only about 2 - 3 inches long to seal the side flaps to the box back

also the text that contains the date on your box appears to be under the middle of the tech specs ... all original TFs have the date right at the corner of the box back ( left side as youre looking at it )

also on reissue boxes the ; where it says ages 5 and up is only a , and from the grainy pic this looks to be the case

my suspicion is that you have either a reissue or KO
fudgevalley
Noob

Post by fudgevalley »

skywarp408
Custom Rank 4 U! Ask an Admin!

Post by skywarp408 »

I'm comparing mine with this one and I noiticed that the cardboard box looks much thicker that mine. An original boxed g1 transformer would not have thick cardboard like in the pictures. I also noticed the weird "Emulational Robot"? sticker on the front of the box. Maybe it's a Euro version?
PETER IS GOD!Image
fudgevalley
Noob

Post by fudgevalley »

Thank you for your answer!

It was sold in Europe however I have no idea how different it was from the U.S version.
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

Hello and welcome to TFL, fellow Swede!
I think Dirge might be right here... I'm suspecting that it's a KO too.
Have a look here:
http://highendtfs.com/?q=node/22
Galvatron
Decepticon Commander

Post by Galvatron »

KO or not KO, it's still bad*ss
trance
Site Admin

Post by trance »

I think Minerva already pointed you to this link:
http://www.highendtfs.com/?q=node/17

As for value if it were sealed, I just had a nice collection of sealed G1s, and the Metroplex went for over $1000. I had only seen AFA ones go for that much prior...maybe in part because of my reputation but mostly because I had a heap of other sealed items (nearly 100) up at the same time, giving credibility to the collection as a whole:

http://www.transformerland.com/forum/vi ... php?t=4507

Anyhow, if it's original G1, I'd say you should be happy with anything over $500
Minerva
Nurse to Die For

Post by Minerva »

-Moving this thread to Toy Talk.